Author Topic: Red's Tessa - 2002 Toyota Altezza  (Read 27297 times)

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
Re: Red's Tessa - 2002 Toyota Altezza
« Reply #375 on: August 20, 2020, 05:26:52 pm »
Thank you for your write up! I've watched and read your video and writeup a couple times. Definitely can't wait for the next event to see where I can make up time.

I ended up buying some new new-to-me 245/40R17 AD08Rs that Evo Precision ran on his BRZ for a bit. They *should* go on the fast wheels... They're going on the 7.5" OZ wheels. A little less offset, just in case they get too friendly with the fenders.

And then ordered some HKS headers which I've been pining over for quite a while. Should be here this week, if things work out.

I've also signed up for an Area 27 event at the start of September. So, bigger, grippier rubbers, hopefully a little more pizzazz from the headers, and a track I've never been on.

Yea... Definitely need to get the truck going for the winter, or find a car I don't wanna immediately turn into racekar, like what's going on here.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline tracker

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2011 STI
« Reply #376 on: August 24, 2020, 10:09:18 am »
Thank you for your write up! I've watched and read your video and writeup a couple times. Definitely can't wait for the next event to see where I can make up time.
You are welcome. Of course it is much easier to critique someone else's driving than fix our own, so take everything with a grain of salt and see what works for you and your risk threshold.

That said, I think you will find a couple of seconds by cleaning up your lines. I will be back at Castrol on September 18th.

Super jealous about going to Area 27, but don't feel like my car would survive a 24h roundtrip after getting bagged at the track mercilessly. Sometimes I am concerned about the 50Km trip back home on Henday from Castrol!

Enjoy. Looking forward videos and pics.
Tracker

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #377 on: September 10, 2020, 12:15:13 am »
Weighed the car recently and came out to 1520kg/ 3350#. keep in mind, it had most of a camping trip in here, but only added maybe 50#.

Headers:

(There are install pictures... somewhere)

Tire goodness:

They're a little... wide. They ended up on the oz wheels cause I like the gold fast wheels... they look good and I wanna keep them as my summers.

I would also like to sell these oz wheels at some point for another set of 8" wide wheels.

They wouldn't have what a normal person would call space. But they did really well on the track.

So, Area 27; this is a fast track with lots of elevation changes (100m or something), 4km long, 16 corners, and plenty of linking segments together. I was worried that the tezza wouldn't be fast enough to enjoy the track to it's fullest. I had heard that slower cars wouldn't be as fun on here.

That was not the case; the tezza felt right at home.

What a rewarding track. It's a rhythmic, you can really get into a groove and meld all the corners together. Coming down the Oliver Corkscrew (turn 7, about 1:25 in on the linked video), it's a stable blind left over crest into a steep decent into a banked corner. Track Attack's telemetry was saying something like 1.5G. When you get the line right, its feels incredible. 

I had Harry from Track Junkies as my instructor. Absolutely lucked out. He showed me how to play with momentum cars and how little one actually needs to brake with mahoosive, grippy AF tires.

Now, the Tezza. What a gem. I had a bit of understeer when the tire got hot, but dropped the psi, and back to going where I wanted, when I wanted. Absolutely no way I can break the rears with that farfetched thing called torque, and the fronts stuck like superglue.

The headers really helped more than I thought... in Alberta, the butt dyno says 3500 and up feels a little spicier, though I reckon it's shiny part placebo. Also, such an easy install. Though I forgot to order exhaust wrap.. and no one had it on the weekend.
In the lap day video, the windows are down, and I haven't touched the audio. Those headers are stupidly quiet. I love it.

But them and the low altitude, it felt great. According to the buttdyno.

Aaaaand video

Thanks TrackJesus/RB93 for the ride-along and pointers!

I am so happy I had the opportunity to come here.

On the list for next time
- BRAKES! the fronts are shot.
- Transmission tightening. It's feeling a little sloppy, I missed 3rd-2nd shift twice in a corner.
- Brake ducting
- Aluminum rad before the plastic end cap goes
- Brake pads
- Polyeurothane bushings would be nice, eventually

OH! I WENT OVER 250k km.... And missed the 250,000 picture.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #378 on: September 11, 2020, 01:23:52 am »
That's awesome and super jealous of your experience.  I get pretty sick riding shotgun with elevation changes.  Trackjesus be blessed.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #379 on: September 11, 2020, 03:55:55 pm »
That's awesome and super jealous of your experience.  I get pretty sick riding shotgun with elevation changes.  Trackjesus be blessed.

Same. I hopped in with Cole in the ctr. Said to look at his display so I could see where he was braking... I got motion sick.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #380 on: September 12, 2020, 08:51:05 pm »
Couple milestones
252,525, since I missed 250,000 >.>

Drove 4500km in 2 weeks. I know 05LGT does that much in a week near every week. But I had the sticky wheels, 75% of my life in the car. Then did 150km on track at 70% or more exertion. All while having a smooth car that handles beautifully, while riding in quite the quiet cab.

And I know it was smooth and quiet cause today, for 14 hours 50 minutes, I was driving Tezza non-stop minus the fuel fills. Unfortunately no Clarkson, Hammond, and May fuel service for me.  Or fortunately... Definitely fortunately.

I left Abbotsford at 3am, drove through Vancouver to take Highway 99. I feel like this part out have been 10x better during the day. But once the sun rose, it was picturesque. Highway 99 was a blast. I am utterly impressed how well the Tezza handled with all that extra weight in the trunk and back seat. It's spry and agile. Had to drop down to 4th in some spots from the steep road grade.

And then just long hauled it after I hit Kamloops and got on the TransCanada. I averaged 7.9L/100. WITH AC GOING, from Kamloops to Canmore on one tank. May have made it to Cochrane too, had I felt like igniting the low fuel light.

I'm near 100,000km of driving the car. Sitting at 99,300 and change. Maybe 500km of those aren't me behind the wheel. I'm immensely impressed with the Altezza.

I got more _positive_ attention on this trip than the last 99k km. I blame it on the gold Fasts.

- Legacy B4 in Kelowna with some poke on his wheels. Looked like a clean B4 too, sounded fantastic... Wait, I had the OZ wheels with a08rs on at this time...

- 3 boys around the age of 10 checked out the car for easily 5 minutes in Oliver when there was a gt3 not too far away. Who knows how many cars I'd oogle over they've seen, and yet they were enamoured with the Tezza (though I am leaning towards the RHD aspect, but I take it as a win)

- the winery owner Paul at Hidden Chapel Winery. He was interested in it, then started recalling tales of his FC RX7. He was fantastic. Would recommend if you're in the area.

- Teenagers in a VW gti in Abbotsford where hanging halfway out the window in Abbotsford during Friday night rush hour. They were hooting and hollering.

- More teenagers in Sicamous in a white Mazda 3. They hit me up the red light and asked some question.

... Did I just use teenagers... Shoot.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #381 on: September 13, 2020, 09:24:22 am »
... Did I just use teenagers... Shoot.

Quote from: Tennis Interviewer
Come back here, you're still young

uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #382 on: September 21, 2020, 09:15:09 am »
Dang that looks fun!
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.