Author Topic: Guess its time to have my brakes done  (Read 1178 times)

Offline SiliconX

• Stubbly Faced
  • Flat4
  • Ride: 2013 SWP STI Sedan
Guess its time to have my brakes done
« on: November 22, 2017, 10:31:16 am »
Last year I had my 2013 STI tuned by Sunny and at that time I had VEX do an inspection on the car and they said that the brakes were still good for awhile but recently, they've started squealing a little bit. Since the car is 94000km I would assume they're due. Probably overdue mostly but I'm extremely gentle on the car so they've lasted longer than you would normally expect.

Any shops that anyone would recommend to do them? VEX quoted me $1800 when I inquired last year (Subaru quoted me 3000 friggin dollars) but I'm reaching out here to see if there is anyone who'd had them done other places, how much they paid and if they were satisfied. Money is an issue since I got divorced recently but doing them myself isn't really an option since i'm getting old and I have a pretty bad back, not to mention I've never done brakes before and I really wouldn't be comfortable doing it for the first time on these brakes  :P

Appreciate any help/advice people can give!

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Re: Guess its time to have my brakes done
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 11:15:12 am »
When I needed to do brakes, I made a shout out on WSC and a bunch of folks came to help.  T'was a good learning experience and while I'm willing to help, I'm not confident to foreman the show.  Ask around, offer pizza and beer, and I'm sure you'll get good help from the forum. 

Do you have a heated garage? 

Have you sourced out parts yet?  If not, pm Alex.  He's up in Red Deer, can ship, and has great prices. 

Sorry to hear about the divorce :( 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 11:16:32 am »
You could also call up Balanced Auto.  Unfortunately, they don't have a spotless record anymore, but I would still trust Jacky and crew there...  And it sure beats driving all the way down to VEX from Airdrie. 

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 11:19:27 am »
Only thing to really worry about is stripping threads in the calipers when you pull them off.

Its a pretty simple job and if you were in Edmonton I would open up my heated garage and help you do it.

2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 11:23:56 am »
My garage isn't the most ideal in terms of space right now, but I do have the tools, and would offer to help (or help out at your place). I did my own brembos and it wasn't bad. If you source the parts, I'm sure you can find some people to help.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 11:27:33 am »
My garage isn't the most ideal in terms of space right now, but I do have the tools, and would offer to help (or help out at your place). I did my own brembos and it wasn't bad. If you source the parts, I'm sure you can find some people to help.

^  I was hoping LDS would chime in.  He's the best.  He also helped me with my brakes. 

I think at 100k with light driving, the caliper bolts shouldn't put up too much of a fight.  But yeah, should still be careful. 

I also have a (weakly) heated garage in Airdrie. 

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '10 FXT & the (late) Thugeye
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 11:37:36 am »
Yep, brakes on these cars isn't cheap.

If doing it yourself is out of the question, as is VEX, then the only other route is to source the parts yourself and find your own mechanic.

At a minimum you'll need rotors, pads, and fluid (add lube if you will give this a go after all).

Rotors:
- A lot of people here, myself included, use NAPA Premium rotors. They are not fancy but they work well, are well priced, and don't need to be shipped because shipping steel is silly. If you're an AMA member (or have a friend/family member who is, they also offer a 10% discount for those with a membership). I prefer the coated ones as the hub remains rust free longer, but they do cost a bit more than the uncoated rotors.
- Another option to the the NAPA rotors, I hear that some Canadian Tires stock Brembo blank rotors. However, I personally would be inclined to use the NAPA's as I know what I'm getting and feel I can trust NAPA a bit more - this is a completely subjective statement.
- Locally: VEX
- Canadian seller: I would go to Touge Tuning. They stock DBA rotors and StopTech rotors. However, in both cases you're looking at about $800 for the DBAs or $650 for the StopTech's (front+rear) - this doesn't include silly things like Tax or actually moving those pieces of heavy metal to where you can reach out and touch them.
- Another Canadian Seller: I've heard good things about is Dale's Alignment and Brakes. I believe they are also a site sponsor here. I've never personally dealt with them, but definitely give them a holler.

Pads:
- Lots of options, preferences, and these are really more suited for purpose. Track pads, Street pads, Performance pads, Long Life pads...
- I've had good luck with HAWK HPS pads. I've used Ferodo pads as well but the ones I got were ultra squeeky and super dusty (can't recall the model though). EBC Red and EBC Green have both been recommended to me by various people. As for differences, I found the following thread somewhat useful (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f68/ebc-red-green-1857/) but do your own research,
- Locally, I've gone to MopaC on 16th. They typically stock the HAWK HPS pads. They work well.
- I cannot say anything for or against NAPA brake pads. My Mom's 2001 Outback runs them and the car stops just fine for her needs.
- I thinking of trying out the EBC red stuff pads, next on the soon-to-be Brembo'd Forester.

Fluid:
- I use the ATE Typ200 because I bought half a dozen cans of it when I found it on sale. ATE, Ferodo, Motul ... Just make sure it's compatible with your brake system. The bigger Brembo calipers are better at dissipating heat and thus, typically, heat up your fluid less. Spending $25/L vs $10/L on fluid isn't really necessary unless you are really giving 'er hard on mountain roads or on track days.
- It is important to do a full and proper bleed. For those who do this regularly, Speed Bleeders are akin to sliced bread and assay's of cats.

Lube (optional):
- see: Topic: Brake caliper slider pin lube
- My preference is listed as is the preference of many others.

Extras:
- Tools are pretty standard: 19mm to take the wheels off, 14mm for the calipers, 12mm for the front pins and maybe 10mm for the rear pins, a torque wrench comes in handy if you want to be precise. A flare nut wrench comes in handy for the Air Bleeder screw (8mm or 10mm, i forget).
- The labour is explained in fantastic detail in the service manuals. I would always recommend reading the whole chapter before starting the work, the 'Mechanism and  Function' section available in some of the older editions which helps to fill in some supplementary bits.
- Youtube has many videos on the subject

Lastly:
- All brake pads must be bedded-in with the rotor they will be used against to maximize brake performance.
- STOPTECH: Pad and Rotor Bed-In Theory, Definitions and Procedures FAQ

PM me if you would like me to recommend you a mechanic who I trust and has good experience with Subies.
entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity