Author Topic: Beans Blue Bugeye STi - Turbo and Tune  (Read 18318 times)

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Canyon & 2001 STI
Re: Beans Blue Bugeye - 2001 Subaru STi
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2018, 11:16:35 am »
Actually, that's great advice about the starter. I've never taken one apart before so I might as well now while its out.

I planned on cleaning the banjo bolts, as well as replacing the PVC... and I already ordered a Moroso oil pickup. I'll inspect the condition of the alternator idler pulley as well. I ordered a new belt, but overlooked the bearing.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2018, 12:03:04 pm »
I ordered a new belt, but overlooked the bearing.

The Gates 38030 pulley is so beefy and awesome compared to the OEM piece.

I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '10 FXT & the (late) Thugeye
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2018, 03:14:32 am »
I can't remember exactly where I read about the starter tear down, but it's pretty easy. The two long bolts on the side hold the motor housing and then there's a way to get at the gear / slider assembly. I used a 3ml 16gauge syringe & needle to get my moly grease in the hard to access spots. Inside the starter housing are 3 gears which were filthy and cruded up so I cleaned everything and grease the hell out of everything that moved. Oh, be careful with the spring loaded brushes - a long pick is all that it took to get them back in place and on the commutator.
edit: here we go: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-starter-repair-remove-disassemble-grease-reinstall-w-pics-218329.html

As for that pulley, that gates pulley is badass - with a replaceable bearing too! My Forester doesn't have that pulley but if I ever need, that part is written down now, thanks!

Of 4 shops/people I've talked to, all have said they typically get rid of the filters to avoid future problems. Better to have some cruddy oil getting to the turbo than less or no oil at all.
entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Beans Blue Bugeye STi
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2018, 10:45:42 am »
Which banjo bolts have the filter? I took the ones off the turbo and there were no filter... is this a USDM thing?

In other news, I've converted my apartment away from home into a dedicated parts cleaning and re-assembling place.

I also re-loomed the engine harness as it was cracking apart and electical tape was peeling off.

Start.

Taking off the old looming.

Everything off.

Re-looming.

Done.

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '10 FXT & the (late) Thugeye
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2018, 11:16:49 am »
The banjo bolt filters may be a USDM thing or it may be year dependant. Here's the TSB on the issue: https://www.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/subaru_oil/02-106-08.pdf
This TSB discusses only one filter but I recall reading in the forester and legacy forums that there are two: one on the feed line to the turbo almost right between the up-pipe and block, the other on the left side by the oil fill tube. On NASIOC I read that one person found 3 in their GD STI - perhaps it was a unique case or misunderstanding.
entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2018, 07:09:03 am »
Yeah, I went to pull the banjo bolt filter out of my v7 but there was none in there. Either previous owner pulled it or jdm engines don’t have any.

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2018, 06:59:32 pm »
I will have to check the bolts on the actual block, as I only looked at the turbo so far.

In the meantime I've been cleaning parts taken off the car while I wait on the OEM gaskets and hoses to show up. At least the clutch, flywheel, and oil pickup finally showed up.

SubaRay

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2018, 01:32:42 am »
nice new clutch!  i thought about buying a jdm but wait for the blobeye.  do u still like it?  how does it compare with nonjdm sti?

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2018, 01:08:29 pm »
nice new clutch!  i thought about buying a jdm but wait for the blobeye.  do u still like it?  how does it compare with nonjdm sti?

They never made the bugeye STI outside of Japan. The first STI's in Canada were the blobeyes.

SubaRay

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2018, 01:06:38 am »
i no. i mean how does jdm sti compare with nonjdm sti like blobeye and hawkeye?

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2018, 07:34:05 pm »
^ I'll update once I've driven the car for a few months. Something tells me I'll enjoy the power, but will be underwhelmed by the handling.

More parts showed up.

Then I removed the exhaust and timing cover components and cleaned the engine as best as I could.

I plan on cleaning up the headers, painting them, and then wrapping them later this week. Anyhow, on to the timing belt and oil seals. Before pulling anyhting off I checked to make sure everything was still at TDC.

For the most part everything looked good, but some of the bearings where showing signs of wear. The tensioner was starting to sweat oil as well.

Then onto taking off the cam gears to replace all the seals.

I had to take the crank pulley off as well to replace the front crank case seal but did not have the spacer tool. In case anyone is wondering, this is the space between the guide and the belt.

All new seals/foam/gromets installed.

And that's where I left off for today. I should have the front of the engine finished up tomorrow. Then onto the oil pan, pickup, seals on the bottom of the engine.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2018, 10:08:58 pm »
Good work, love seeing threads like this.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2018, 06:00:50 pm »
While taking off the plastic timing covers I ended up cracking one of them. It doesn't look pretty, but I make shift plastic welded it together.... and it actually worked.

I then installed the rest of the timing belt kit, making sure to set the guides to the correct spacing. One of the bearings was different, but it was solved by finding a longer bolt.

Then the fun started. What is everyone's opinion? There was a few mm of sludge on the very bottom of the oil pan, and a little on the main crank oil gallery. Everything else looked fine. I checked the bottom of the pan for copper/metal flakes and everything looked great. I checked the cam lobes and they looked great as well. Finally, I cut open the oil filter and there was absolutely no metal what-so-ever. Regardless, I'm not sure how much damage would have been done by now...

I ended up deciding to roll the dice and button everything back up together with new seals and the 06 STI stuff. 

Offline Delphiwrx

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRX Hatch WRB
Re: Beans Blue Bugeye STi - Am I uckfayed?
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2018, 06:35:04 pm »
Crankcase has some varnishing, but I've never seen sludge build up like that. Looks like it should have had much more frequent oil changes and more than likely ran conventional oil. You're more than likely fine though, if worried check the oil pressure when its good and hot at cruise and idle.

This is my crankcase that had 110k km on it, oil changes every 5k km. There was no cleaning done to outside of cleaning debris out of it for assembly with brake clean (which doesn't take that itshay off, nor will a pressure washer in the car wash  >:D).

~Mods~
CNT Quad Tip Catback, Custom Catless Downpipe, AEM 340 Fuel Pump,Turbo XS Front Mount Intercooler, BorgWarner S257SXE Turbo,ID1000 injectors, Grimmspeed EBCS. Manley H-Tuff Rods, Manley 99.75mm pistons, ARP 2000 Headstuds, 79mm OEM Crank, STI 6 Speed Swap, Cadillac ATS Brembos, Tomei ELH, AEM Meth Injection

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2018, 07:47:41 pm »
That pick up build up is really odd. I recently replaced the pickup on my Ej257 with 250k and there wasn't a speck on the oem screen. Hopefully it's all good. Personally I would have changed the fluids and driven it a bit more before diving into this intensive of a refurbish of a jdm engine.

One thought, could that be old urethane from someone resealing the oil pan previously and doing a poor clean up job of the old material?

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2018, 08:27:59 pm »
Meh. I've seen wild itshay on pickup screens.

If that gunk is super hard and gritty, I'd be tempted to pop off the oil pump for an inspection. Could be poor hygiene while changing valve cover gaskets, or just a lifetime of oil changes using an unclean funnel.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2018, 09:41:45 pm »
I have a picture of it at idle while its at operating temp and the oil pressure was at 2 kg/cm^2 which works out to about 29 PSI. So I'm not too worried about that.

The sludge could have happened from anything... short trips, infrequent oil changes, ittshay oil, hard driving, or simply just sitting there for a while (only has 74km). Its all sludge though, besides the one piece of silicone. You can take those chunks and rub it between your fingers until its basically an oil paste. No metal or dirt in it.

I'm only really worried if the engine wasn't able to pick up enough oil due to the sludge on the screen and if that starvation caused any damage. So far everything seems fine....

I think if I hadn't done this work the engine would have definitely blow up (still might). I had no idea what the past maintenance was and ej207's are not exactly cheap.

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2018, 02:17:48 pm »
Not much of an update, but I cleaned up the headers and up-pipe and gave it a coat of primer and paint.

Once it warms up I'll clean up the engine bay and drop the engine back in. I'd like to have it running by mid May.

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2018, 11:06:47 am »
Got a bit more done on the car.

Cured header paint.

Hooked up the Greddy Oil pressure sender.

Installed spark plugs after making sure everything was gapped correctly.

Cleaned up the bottom of the block, wrapped the headers, and bolted everything up.

I then reinstalled the intake manifold, fuel rails, and electrical harness.

After that I wanted to check to see if the EJ207 had the bajo bolt filter screens for the turbo and AVCS. Turns out it does! I was worried that I was going to find these clogged due to the condition of the oil pickup but to my surprise they all looked great (besides mangling them while taking it out).

With no play in the turbo, the banjo bolt filter screens clean, the cam lobes looking great, and no bearing material or metal found in the oil pan or filter.... I'm hoping that I dodged a bullet and no oil starvation was done with the clogged up pickup.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2018, 11:51:34 am »
Wow, fantastic work. Can I hire you to clean up the engine in my JDM car?
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2018, 09:23:55 pm »
Wow, fantastic work. Can I hire you to clean up the engine in my JDM car?

I forgot how ittshay cleaning car parts is. I need a parts washer.

In other news I installed a new crank seal, clutch, and flywheel. Oh and I cleaned the engine bay. Yay cleaning.

Now just need the remaining parts to come in.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
Re: Beans Blue Bugeye STi - Engine back in
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2018, 01:07:32 pm »
Incredible work... I only aspire to do this type of work with my STI. Maybe someday i'll be able to be this thorough.

Offline chico_kj_23

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 1993 WRX, 2011 G37X, 2018 4Runner
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2018, 10:16:57 am »
Now just need the remaining parts to come in.

And only a few flesh wounds getting it back in! Also, don't forget the cover for that clutch fork pin!

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2018, 01:35:15 pm »
Don't forget an O2 sensor that potentially met its demise.

Offline chico_kj_23

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 1993 WRX, 2011 G37X, 2018 4Runner
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2018, 01:58:56 pm »
Don't forget an O2 sensor that potentially met its demise.

No go on the spare O2 sensor from me. The one I have is only a 3-wire.