Author Topic: Lifelong Subaru addict  (Read 1359 times)

inzomniac

Lifelong Subaru addict
« on: December 12, 2017, 10:19:26 pm »
Hello!  I'm new to the forums, but not the Subaru scene in general (Toronto Subaru Club member since 2001)...  When I moved out west from the GTA a few years ago I had a job without much down time, and then a job without much money... so my interest in forums and playing with my cars in general kinda dropped off for a bit...  but I'm finally back to having both time and money to play with again!  And it would be nice to know a few folks when I show up at the Ice Dice lol! 

I also want to get my finger on the pulse so to speak of which shops to use etc.  I do most of my own work, but didn't feel like doing my timing belt recently and a couple of other small issues... and kinda panicked when I realized I didn't really have a shop in mind, it's hard moving to a different area and having to rebuild that kind of trust with different shops/vendors.  That being said, I used Vex based on the research I did, and had a great experience.   

I'm on my 9th Subaru, and currently own 2 right now.  Over the years I've been part of a few crazy builds (Turbo Justy, Aspire 323 GTX (Asfire), 85 RX with EJ20G rally car... to name a few), done some stage rallying, rally-x, ice racing, and generally live for anything that goes fast. 

Hope to meet some of you folks in the near future!

My Subaru history:

1995 Impreza L 1.8L AWD Coupe (Mum's car I learned to drive in when I was 16, been in the family since 1998, suuuper slow rally project car, stuck back in stock form to get it out here and through an out of province...)

1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan (My first car, it ran with a modified 2.2L until it died then it had an EJ20G swap before many people were doing Subaru swaps over here, eventually got so rusty it became drivetrain donor for my old rally car)

1985 Subaru RX 4WD Sedan (built this with an old friend in his garage as our first stage rally car, ran with the 1.8 turbo for a while then put the JDM drive-train from my old Legacy in it, super fun little car and it could get into top 10s at Tall Pines if it stayed together :sarcasm:)

1992 Subaru Justy 4WD 4dr Hatch (beater, didn't last long until I was sick of this car and too scared to drive it on the 401 anymore... sold it to a friend for what the deck was worth and jumped it on his moto-x track when I delivered it to him)

1995 Subaru Legacy L 2.2L AWD Wagon (Dad's old car that I bought off him for my college years after I got rid of the Justy, still regret getting rid of it, super cheap and reliable)

1998 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe (Finally found one I could afford that had been in an accident, ended up being a money pit, but I loved this car.  In the end it's accident damages caused it to rust out prematurely and it became a parts donor and I think someone ice raced the shell...)

2002 Impreza WRX Wagon (My first shared Subaru with my wife, had it for 8 years and I crashed it just last fall, ~330k and no issues, really miss that car, insurance companies suck...)

2007 Impreza L Sedan (Wife's daily for a few years, found it at too good of a price to pass)

2009 Impreza WRX 265 Hatch (Current daily driver, love the car, but I still miss my bugeye, still coming to terms with the newness, electric throttle/traction control etc...)

Cheers,

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
Re: Lifelong Subaru addict
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 10:43:25 pm »
Welcome, welcome, welcome. A storied list!

We do meet weekly, if it's not too out of the way from where you are. A bunch of car enthusiasts sitting around drinking coffee and generally shooting the breeze.

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=30246.0

Hope to meet you, sounds like you have some proper stories if you got a jump a car lol

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 11:16:44 pm »
Good stuff! Welcome!

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 11:39:51 pm »
Welcome! Quite the crazy history! You should post pics :)
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 11:08:52 am »
Welcome fellow former TSC'er!

That's a classic list of cars. I miss my bugeye too, even with my faster FXT now :P Do you know Jeff Beech? He had an early gen turbo Legacy too, used to lead our Sunday drives in Hamilton-Burlington-Niagara (like, wayyyy back - 2007 ish)
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

inzomniac

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 01:42:05 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Welcome! Quite the crazy history! You should post pics :)

Lol I can do that, it'll be a good trip down memory lane digging through the old hard drives!

Welcome fellow former TSC'er!

That's a classic list of cars. I miss my bugeye too, even with my faster FXT now :P Do you know Jeff Beech? He had an early gen turbo Legacy too, used to lead our Sunday drives in Hamilton-Burlington-Niagara (like, wayyyy back - 2007 ish)

Was he the really tall guy, worked at a sport check or something?  If it's the same guy then I do know him lol, I think that's the guy one of my friends dated for a bit.   Good ol Forks cruises and the cruise to tall pines, before the "incident"  :haplo90: