Author Topic: JDM 1992-2000 Fuel Pump Part # and Alternatives  (Read 3920 times)

bigtimegambler

JDM 1992-2000 Fuel Pump Part # and Alternatives
« on: December 26, 2017, 03:53:21 am »
Hello everyone,

Recently the fuel pump in my 1998 STI failed, so I had to order a new one. I had the hardest time finding part numbers, and figuring out which fuel pump was needed. I searched for hours with no luck of conclusive information. I ended up ordering the wrong part, and in writing this, Im hoping the same thing doesn't happen to you.

This is why I am compiling correct fuel pump information for everyone else out there in need.

So after extensive research I have CONFIRMED 1992-2000 JDM WRX and STI use the fuel pump part # 42021AC040. Now unfortunately this fuel pump is extremely expensive as it is not readily available in North America.

Two aftermarket fuel pumps I have found that work with our cars are the Walbro gss341 with the turbo legacy install kit, and the DeatschWerks 9-201-0791 (includes install kit). The install kit is really important as it contains a wiring pig tail connector adapter, essential for the wiring necessary to install the fuel pump.

*** It is worth noting that the Walbro gss342 does not work with our JDM impreza's (1992-2000) because the fuel inlet is in line with the fuel outlet. This positions the fuel strainer incorrectly in the tank.

Another thing to note: You should install the aftermarket fuel pump of your choice with an OEM fuel strainer. I have read around that the aftermarket fuel strainers result in fuel starvation at high G's under half a tank.

I personally ordered the DeatschWerks fuel pump because you can order it directly off their site (to avoid cost mark ups), and because of their three year warranty offering.

- BTG

Offline Vancouver98STi

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1998 JDM Subaru Impreza v4 STi GF8
Re: JDM 1992-2000 Fuel Pump Part # and Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 06:46:22 pm »
Recently the fuel pump in my 1998 STI failed, so I had to order a new one. I had the hardest time finding part numbers, and figuring out which fuel pump was needed. I searched for hours with no luck of conclusive information.

It is worth noting that the Walbro gss342 does not work with our JDM impreza's (1992-2000) because the fuel inlet is in line with the fuel outlet. This positions the fuel strainer incorrectly in the tank.

I've found an image online which I believe shows what you've mentioned about the fuel inlets of the two Walbro pumps.

During your investigation, did you by any chance see the following thread where the Walbro GSS342-400-791 255lph fuel pump kit was being discussed?

Fuel Pump Part# EJ20G Impreza WRX

Quote from: jdmvip;24800
The Walbro GSS342 kit is a direct fit, with no soldering required at all on my GC8 (Version 93 WRX RA). It's plug and play.

After reading that (as well as the many other posts in that thread), I'm a little confused as to the fuel inlet/outlet issue you were reporting with the GSS342 pump. I'm surprised no one in that thread made any mention of the inlet being incorrect.  :-\

I've just started looking into this as my GF8 may have a failed fuel pump. I noticed there was occasionally a weird sound coming from the fuel tank area, as well as the engine not behaving properly. The other day the engine wouldn't catch at all. It's never had a problem starting previously. However, I've still got some digging to do.

What were the symptoms of your fuel pump failing?

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 12:21:49 am »
Interesting find. Thanks for the info.

With regards to you 98sti...

When a fuel pump fails, you'll usually hear no priming coming from the fuel pump when you turn the key to get power in the car but not all the way so that the engine turns over. In addition to that, if the pump failed completely, the car would not be getting any gas to the engine. With no gas coming through, the engine would get spark, but with no fuel, it just wouldn't start up. I had a pump fail on my WRX years ago, and I simply lost all power and pulled over to the side of the road. After that, I moved all of 20 metres sucking all of the fuel out of what was in the fuel lines, and then had to tow my car home.

If your car doesn't move right now and doesn't have any noise coming from the fuel pump when you turn the key to auxiliary power, then it most likely has failed. I always recommend replacing the fuel pump right when getting an import. They are bound to fail eventually, and after 15+ years it's just a good precautional modification.

If your car is starting up, and you can semi-drive it but it is bogging under load or just seems to not be running great, then I would recommend checking the MAF, the fuel filter and the spark plugs. The MAF might just be dirty, the filter is another precautional thing that I recommend you replace, and the plugs could just be gunked up, worn, or just old.

Offline Vancouver98STi

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 02:18:19 am »

With regards to you 98sti...

Markkas, thanks for your tips. Fortunately this car isn't my daily-driver, so I'm able to troubleshoot at my leisure... when it isn't raining.  ;)

A few weeks ago I was an hour outside of Vancouver, and I filled the tank with Chevron 94 (which I normally use). As I was driving home on the freeway, I noticed the engine didn't feel right, and when I got off the freeway the engine could barely idle. I got home, but trying to drive the car over the next few days was quite an adventure. I thought maybe the gas I had bought out of town was bad, so I added a litre of methyl hydrate to absorb any water there might've been in the fuel tank. It made no difference. The engine would start and run fine... until it went into closed loop. The engine would then miss and surge, and the idle speed would fluctuate up and down. If I turned off the engine for a few minutes, it would run just fine for a short while again. The car was going through a lot, I mean a LOT of gas. I took the spark plugs out (which were in fine shape when I last looked at them in the fall) and they were black. (I put new ones in.)

The first time I ever checked the engine for stored codes (sometime last summer), there was a code 32... O2 sensor. I never thought anything of it at the time, as the engine was running fine. So I just cleared the code. I began to wonder if the O2 sensor had now completely packed it in, so I disconnected the O2 sensor and reset the ECM. The engine seemed to run just fine for a few days (on default fuel tables)... but then it started to act up again. And then a couple of days ago, the engine would crank over just fine, but show absolutely no sign of a cylinder firing. I'm lucky the car was at home. And that's how the situation sits at the moment.

I understand about the fuel pump priming for a couple of seconds when the key is first turned, but it's always been very difficult to hear the fuel pump in this car. I guess that's a good thing, except I can't tell for sure (by ear) if it's not priming now. But as I briefly mentioned in my previous post, I did hear a short strange, almost grinding type sound coming from the back of the car a few times (when the fuel pump would've been priming). This only started after my engine issues had begun, which leads me to suspect the fuel pump was acting up and has now completely died and/or seized up. If the weather cooperates tomorrow (the car lives outside), perhaps I'll disconnect the fuel lines and see if there's any fuel pressure... on either side of the filter (which I've not changed since I got the car a year ago). I'll report back.

Offline Vancouver98STi

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 06:37:26 pm »
I'll disconnect the fuel lines and see if there's any fuel pressure...

As I suspected... not a drop.  :-\

I'm grateful that the fuel pump is so easy to change in these cars (unlike other makes that require the tank to be dropped), but before I do so I'd like to check to make sure that there's at least power getting to the pump. More research is now required to look up relays etc. It's tough learning a whole new platform after decades of GM ownership. ???

[EDIT 1] Found a thread - Fuel pump relay problem - that's somewhat informative. But in the particular post copied below, it's mentioned that a failed immobilizer relay was preventing the fuel pump from running. :o Oh gawd, this could be getting complicated.

From HERE:

I found it was the relay on the immoblizer. I had some circuit diagrams (which didn't show the immoblizer) but when I traced the wires from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump (Black with yellow stripe I think) they went behind the dash instead of straight to the pump and also were cut and joint to a black wire (to the immoblizer I think).

[EDIT 2] Two things to mention. The relay(s) are fine as power is getting to the fuel pump electrical connection above the tank. And... this fuel pump, which isn't pumping anything... actually does make a humming sound during the two second prime. So even though it's "dead" (in regards to pumping fuel), it still makes a noise (which for all intents and purposes) sounds "normal".

And no, the tank is not empty ;)... but I'm beginning to wonder if the fuel pump has simply become disconnected from the fuel line inside the tank.  Maybe I should check before I order another pump!

Offline Vancouver98STi

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 08:49:04 pm »

*** It is worth noting that the Walbro gss342 does not work with our JDM impreza's (1992-2000) because the fuel inlet is in line with the fuel outlet. This positions the fuel strainer incorrectly in the tank.

Okay, now I'm really confused as to why it makes any difference whatsoever where the inlet is located in relation to the outlet on the replacement pump. Why...? Because I've pulled my original factory fuel pump and discovered that the outlet is smack dab in the middle of the top of the pump... and the replacement pump can be rotated and installed with the inlet in the correct orientation no matter which side of the pump the outlet might be located. It seems to me that either the GSS341 or GSS342 will equally fit just fine.

I'd like very much for the OP (and/or anyone else who's interested) to comment on this. Am I missing something?  :-\

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 11:56:38 am »
As far as I knew before this post, both were compatible. Hell, when my pump went on my '96 wrx, I replaced it with a used pump from an 05 STI. A little bit of wiring to get connections right, and it worked perfectly. I didn't even think twice about inlets/outlets and the fuel strainer.

Because it hasn't been mentioned before, I wouldn't be surprised if both do work just fine. Maybe one fits more like OEM and is therefore the recommended one, but at the end of the day as long as it pumps fuel to your desire, that's what matters.

As far as your issue goes, the fuel should just be being sucked through the pump via the fuel sock at the bottom. Maybe the motor inside the pump is still working, but part of the pump itself is clogged? Have you taken the pump itself out of the gas tank to have a look? Have you checked to see if fuel leaks out of it when it is priming?

Offline Vancouver98STi

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 01:41:26 am »
Have you taken the pump itself out of the gas tank to have a look?

Ummm... how do you think I took those pictures of it?  :D

Maybe the motor inside the pump is still working, but part of the pump itself is clogged?

When I pulled the pump, everything looked fine. I wanted to connect 12v to it while it was out... so I stuck it in an empty yogurt container with a bit of Varsol in the bottom, and a hose going from the outlet back into the Varsol... gave it some power... it hummed for a split-second... but nothing else happened. It seemed to be stuck. I repeated the process about a dozen times... and then suddenly it worked. And now it works every time... but for how long?  :-\

My trust with this pump is now shot. And heck, it's the original 20 year old pump. I don't want it failing/locking up the next time when I'm miles from home. I was lucky this first time that it failed while the car was parked beside my house!

I've read nothing but good things about HRC fuel pumps. This might be the route I go.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 05:40:21 pm »
Ummm... how do you think I took those pictures of it?  :D

When I pulled the pump, everything looked fine. I wanted to connect 12v to it while it was out... so I stuck it in an empty yogurt container with a bit of Varsol in the bottom, and a hose going from the outlet back into the Varsol... gave it some power... it hummed for a split-second... but nothing else happened. It seemed to be stuck. I repeated the process about a dozen times... and then suddenly it worked. And now it works every time... but for how long?  :-\

My trust with this pump is now shot. And heck, it's the original 20 year old pump. I don't want it failing/locking up the next time when I'm miles from home. I was lucky this first time that it failed while the car was parked beside my house!

I've read nothing but good things about HRC fuel pumps. This might be the route I go.

Sorry, pictures didn't show up on my work computer. Our computers block a lot.

I would just replace the pump at this point. No harm in doing it now, and it gives you peace at mind knowing a new one is in there. I've never heard of HRC, so I can't vouch for them. I do know that Walbro and DW make good pumps though. I'm sure any would be a good option at this point.

Offline Vancouver98STi

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 06:45:56 pm »
Sorry, pictures didn't show up on my work computer. Our computers block a lot.
Well, I did post that I had "pulled my original factory fuel pump"... but hey, I'm not trying to give you a bad time. ;) I appreciate your feedback!

I would just replace the pump at this point. No harm in doing it now, and it gives you peace at mind knowing a new one is in there.
I totally agree, replacing the fuel pump would be the wisest move to make at this juncture.

I've never heard of HRC...
I hadn't either until a couple days ago. It's possible that HRC are not as well known on this side of the Atlantic, but reviews are quite favorable and prices are very competitive. I might give them a shot.

bigtimegambler

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 12:56:52 am »
Okay, now I'm really confused as to why it makes any difference whatsoever where the inlet is located in relation to the outlet on the replacement pump. Why...? Because I've pulled my original factory fuel pump and discovered that the outlet is smack dab in the middle of the top of the pump... and the replacement pump can be rotated and installed with the inlet in the correct orientation no matter which side of the pump the outlet might be located. It seems to me that either the GSS341 or GSS342 will equally fit just fine.

I'd like very much for the OP (and/or anyone else who's interested) to comment on this. Am I missing something?  :-\

Hello Vancouver98STI,

Sorry for the late response here, I don't get on too often while Im busy with school.

So as for your question upon seeing the fuel pump, and how the outlet is in the middle. You will see that the inlet is off to the side. This means the OEM pump has "offset" inlet and outlet. The GSS342 pump has "inline" inlet and outlet, meaning they are directly inline.

So to refine my original posting, the GSS341 is the optimal perfect replacement for a 1992-2000 JDM gc8 because of its offset inlet/outlet design.

The GSS342 can work, but not optimally, as it will sit in the fuel pump assembly crooked on an angle due to the lower assembly hole orientation. This angle messes with the angle of the fuel strainer in the tank, and also doesn't allow for an optimal secure fit within the assembly.

Last thing:

I have installed the DW200 fuel pump that I ordered. It turns out its design is the exact same as the GSS342 with the inline inlet/outlet.

Because of this I experienced the exact same issue one would get with a GSS342. It works, don't get me wrong. But the fit was off because of the inlet/outlet design which made it feel less secure in the assembly, and positioning the strainer right against the side of the tank. TBH I'm a little paranoid now that it will work its way loose out of the assembly because of the play caused by the messed up angle.

As far as I knew before this post, both were compatible. Hell, when my pump went on my '96 wrx, I replaced it with a used pump from an 05 STI. A little bit of wiring to get connections right, and it worked perfectly. I didn't even think twice about inlets/outlets and the fuel strainer.

^^^

This also works, but again, improper inlet/outlet orientation, and you need to buy a wiring adapter harness to wire it properly. With the cost of doing this, you're almost at the cost of buying a proper aftermarket unit capable of flowing higher rates.

CONCLUSION:

- GSS341 is proper OEM fit replacement for JDM 1992-2000 gc8's

- GSS342 and DW200 work as well, but with less than optimal fitment

Offline Vancouver98STi

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 04:04:03 pm »
Sorry for the late response here, I don't get on too often while Im busy with school.
No problem.  :)

The GSS342 can work, but not optimally, as it will sit in the fuel pump assembly crooked on an angle due to the lower assembly hole orientation. This angle messes with the angle of the fuel strainer in the tank, and also doesn't allow for an optimal secure fit within the assembly.
I have no idea what the bolded part means.  ???

So as for your question upon seeing the fuel pump, and how the outlet is in the middle...
Yes, it's in the middle of the OEM pump. It is not in the middle of either Walbro pump.

You will see that the inlet is off to the side.
Yes, it is... on all the pumps... OEM and both Walbro pumps.

This means the OEM pump has "offset" inlet and outlet.
Sure, but... this "offset" is not the same as either of the Walbro pumps.

I think I now understand why you haven't followed what I've posted previously. Forget about how the inlet and outlet are "offset" in relation to each other. It appears to make no actual difference!

Both Walbro pumps can be rotated to enable the inlet to be correctly positioned. There is nothing preventing that. However, the metal pipe needs to be slightly bent to match up with the outlet of either pump, as neither of those two pumps has their outlet in the same (middle) location as the OEM pump. Once this is done, the pump will sit in the bracket perfectly vertical as it should. The filter sock will sit in the tank just as it did with the OEM pump.

So how is one of those Walbro pumps superior to the other in regards to fitment then? There needs to be a tiny adjustment of the metal pipe using either pump. Right?

I'm definitely not trying to give you a hard time... far from it! I'm just trying to nail down what it is that we seem to be missing in each other's observations/comments.  :D

bigtimegambler

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 12:35:04 am »

I have no idea what the bolded part means.  ???
The lower portion of the fuel pump assembly that houses the inlet side of the pump.

Yes, it's in the middle of the OEM pump. It is not in the middle of either Walbro pump.
I said middle to demonstrate the offset design. it does not matter if the pump outlet is in the center or off to the side. What does matter is the distance of the offset between the inlet / outlet.

You're also forgetting something really important. Aftermarket pumps are smaller in size compared to the OEM pump. So having the inlet on one side and the outlet on the other on an aftermarket pump (GSS341), will have the same offset distance as the OEM pump's middle outlet and off to the side inlet.

Yes, it is... on all the pumps... OEM and both Walbro pumps.
Sure, but... this "offset" is not the same as either of the Walbro pumps.
Your point is irrelevant because of the pump size difference.

I think I now understand why you haven't followed what I've posted previously. Forget about how the inlet and outlet are "offset" in relation to each other. It appears to make no actual difference!

Both Walbro pumps can be rotated to enable the inlet to be correctly positioned. There is nothing preventing that. However, the metal pipe needs to be slightly bent to match up with the outlet of either pump, as neither of those two pumps has their outlet in the same (middle) location as the OEM pump. Once this is done, the pump will sit in the bracket perfectly vertical as it should. The filter sock will sit in the tank just as it did with the OEM pump.

^^
Okay, so you've installed both of these pumps then and can confirm the fitment on both?  ;D
The offset design of the GSS341 should be direct fit without having to bend the metal piping.

The point of this thread was to outline the best DROP IN OEM FITMENT (without having to modify) Aftermarket fuel pump.

I'm definitely not trying to give you a hard time... far from it! I'm just trying to nail down what it is that we seem to be missing in each other's observations/comments.  :D

Definitely what one would say if they are giving someone a hard time. Nice try.

I still stand by my original claim:

CONCLUSION:

- GSS341 is proper OEM fit replacement for JDM 1992-2000 gc8's

- GSS342 and DW200 work as well, but with less than optimal fitment

I do not intend to continue this fruitless conversation with you.

Offline Vancouver98STi

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 01:22:45 am »
You're also forgetting something really important. Aftermarket pumps are smaller in size compared to the OEM pump.

Your point is irrelevant because of the pump size difference.
I've ordered a HRC pump from the UK. I'll be able to see and compare this difference in size when I receive it.

Definitely what one would say if they are giving someone a hard time. Nice try.

I do not intend to continue this fruitless conversation with you.
It's unfortunate you appear to believe that I've been trying to give you a "hard time". That has definitely not been my intention at all.  :(  I've just been trying to clarify why your observations don't jive with what other people have posted on the 'net. When I install the pump I've ordered, I'll post here how well it does or doesn't fit.

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 06:26:12 am »
How about some real-world experience instead of these “conclusions”? I installed a DW200 pump in my GC8. No modifications or bending of anything was required, dropped in like OEM (and was no smaller than the OEM pump either..)
Hope that helps clear some of this up.

bigtimegambler

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 01:45:15 pm »
How about some real-world experience instead of these “conclusions”? I installed a DW200 pump in my GC8. No modifications or bending of anything was required, dropped in like OEM (and was no smaller than the OEM pump either..)
Hope that helps clear some of this up.

I installed the same pump as you... Did you even read the thread? lol

I didn't modify the assembly either, but I'm saying the angle was off. And yes the DW is a bit smaller in size comparatively to the OEM pump.

Offline Vancouver98STi

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 05:25:36 pm »
I've ordered a HRC pump from the UK. I'll be able to see and compare this difference in size when I receive it.

THIS is what I bought.

I finally crossed the border and picked up the HRC fuel pump which had been delivered to my shipping address in the States... as it was cheaper to have it sent there than here to Canada, and I had other items to pick up across the border anyway. It only took a week to get from the UK to Washington State. I thought that was pretty good.

Prior to my order, there seemed to be some confusion in my correspondence with them regarding which side the inlet was going to be in relation to the outlet. Interestingly enough, I ended up being sent the offset model, which should please the OP. ;)

However, it surprises me a bit that there is absolutely no indication on the pump which version it actually is... as there are 255, 290, 310 and 340 LPH versions. All it says on the pump is "HRC Performance".

The fuel strainer is also a little piddly thing (compared to the original OEM strainer), and it doesn't look at all like what is described in the eBay blurb... "This listing is for a Subaru Impreza Specific kit, the Type A filter sits lower in the tank than other manufacturers filter, unless you purchase a specific filter. The filter supplied is a type designed to sit properly in the fuel tank and dramatically reduces fuel starvation when cornering hard on low fuel." And again, no identification at all on the filter/strainer.

And the supplied wiring harness is not plug & play. It'll need to be spliced/soldered into the original fuel pump harness.

Also, no instructions of any sort supplied... and nothing posted at their website regarding installation in a Subaru. I know this isn't rocket science, but geez... nothing at all?  :-\

I've sent an email to HRC Performance. I'll post their response.

[EDIT] Here's an image I found online showing basically what HRC sent me (although as previously mentioned, the pump I received has an offset inlet/outlet). Notice the puny filter/strainer. It's about 2x2" and does not extend down from the pump at all when attached.

Offline Vancouver98STi

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 12:26:08 am »
I've sent an email to HRC Performance. I'll post their response.

My experience with HRC Performance was bad, very bad. Despite numerous promises from the company owner, I never did receive the "Subaru Impreza Specific kit" that was supposed to have been included with the fuel pump. After weeks and weeks of being dicked around by them (and all this time with my STi not runable), I finally had to ask eBay to step in. I explained how right from the get-go, communicating with HRC Performance was absolutely useless... nothing was ever accomplished. After reading of the BS that I had endured for weeks, and the fact that I finally had to make do without the proper installation kit, eBay granted me a full refund. That was great... but seriously, I would've preferred to have gotten what I paid for in the first place and not received any refund whatsoever.

I ended up reusing the original fuel pump filter/strainer (which fortunately was still in good shape), and I also reused (with a slight modification) the original rubber mount at the bottom of the bracket. The only item I used from the generic installation kit that came with the pump was the wiring plug/pigtail which needed to be spliced into the original fuel pump wiring harness.

So... here you can see the equivalent of a Walbro GSS-341 mounted on the bracket. I didn't need to bend anything. I have to agree with the OP of this thread that an offset inlet/outlet fuel pump seems to line up best on the mounting bracket of my v4 GF8. I have to wonder if the mounting brackets on other versions of the GC/GF are a little different... which might explain why some people have insisted that the in-line inlet/outlet (GSS-342) fuel pumps fit their vehicles better.

And here's the whole shebang ready to be installed (with the original fuel pump alongside for a size comparison.)

It would be great if someone could post an image or two of a GSS-342 fuel pump mounted on their bracket. I'm curious to see how well it aligns (without the need to bend anything).

Offline awd_ftw

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1998 Impreza WRX STI wagon
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 03:34:03 pm »
Hi guys good information in this thread. I too used the dw200 kit for the 04-07 sti kit. Now this was 3 years ago and now it has some intermittent dying on me, twice to be exact.

I was wondering if you guys have a problem or noticed your ground connection on the fuel pump connector(female part which goes under the trunk) black or burned? My dw200 seems like it's drawing too much power.

I should HAVE called dw the first time it happened but it started after I gave a light bang with a mallet underneath the fuel tank while a friend turned the ignition key.

Offline Vancouver98STi

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 07:22:02 pm »
I was wondering if you guys have a problem or noticed your ground connection on the fuel pump connector(female part which goes under the trunk) black or burned? My dw200 seems like it's drawing too much power.

Did you retain the factory "suppressor" which was originally wired into the fuel pump wiring harness? If you don't know what I'm referring to, it's the small black component that can be seen in both of my images Here. I was informed that this suppressor prevents the fuel pump from receiving over-voltage (but I have no idea if it also prevents the pump from drawing too much power). I had also been informed that it wasn't necessary for an aftermarket replacement fuel pump... but I figured what the heck, it wouldn't hurt... so I kept it.

Having said all that, I'm not an electrical expert. Could the lack of that suppressor potentially lead to the issue you've reported? Someone here might know.

Offline awd_ftw

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 08:08:22 pm »
Did you retain the factory "suppressor" which was originally wired into the fuel pump wiring harness? If you don't know what I'm referring to, it's the small black component that can be seen in both of my images Here. I was informed that this suppressor prevents the fuel pump from receiving over-voltage (but I have no idea if it also prevents the pump from drawing too much power). I had also been informed that it wasn't necessary for an aftermarket replacement fuel pump... but I figured what the heck, it wouldn't hurt... so I kept it.

Having said all that, I'm not an electrical expert. Could the lack of that suppressor potentially lead to the issue you've reported? Someone here might know.

Oh crap, no I didn't install it. I think I threw it away with the dead OEM one  :'(  I too was informed that I did not need it.

Offline Vancouver98STi

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 10:06:16 pm »
I too was informed that I did not need it.

There's so little info available for these cars, and as with anything on the internet, there's so much misinformation. It's difficult to know who or what to believe.  :-\

Offline Vancouver98STi

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 07:40:25 pm »
My experience with HRC Performance was bad, very bad. Despite numerous promises from the company owner, I never did receive the "Subaru Impreza Specific kit" that was supposed to have been included with the fuel pump.

Today in the mail came a small shipping envelope from HRC containing the Type A filter that was supposed to have originally been shipped with the fuel pump. It was exactly two months ago today  (February 20th) that I first informed HRC that they had sent the wrong filter/strainer. I can see on the envelope that they mailed this filter on March 5th, 13 days after I had first told them of their mistake. And why it then took a total of 59 days to get here from the UK, who knows. Interestingly enough, I got a second package (also containing a car part) in the mail today... this one from the States... and it took a total of only 9 days for that package to arrive.

Offline awd_ftw

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 09:44:36 am »
Alright so last post was April 19, that day the car started after unplugging the fuel pump connector to the harness, and spraying some electrical contact cleaner I got from Canadian tire. So I thought it was dirty.

Just a few mins ago, the fuel pump didn't prime when I tried starting the car. So I unplugged the connection again and replugged it back in. The pump primes and car started but for only 20secs. I heard the pump shut off as I was putting the cover back on. So now I unplugged it again the 2nd time and sprayed more contact cleaner. Pump primed and started and I let it idle for 10mins.

So far so good, now driving to superstore, only 2km from my house,o felt the knock sensor pulled back timing to the point I was coasting, but the engine was still running. After a 1-2 second the engine began to behave normal.... I'm stumped. I don't know if it's the pump, connection, or bad gas/gumout fuel cleaner I used. Intermittently runs, doesn't start, dies....

Offline Vancouver98STi

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 05:12:22 pm »
I'm stumped. I don't know if it's the pump, connection, or bad gas/gumout fuel cleaner I used. Intermittently runs, doesn't start, dies...

You may need to install a fuel pressure gauge to help try and sort this out.