Author Topic: 1999 GC8 Alternator Equivalent  (Read 1021 times)

Offline skoOdle

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1999 Version 5 ST
1999 GC8 Alternator Equivalent
« on: December 26, 2017, 09:07:06 am »
Hey guys,

The subie had a hard time starting up this morning. Not exactly sure if it's the battery or alternator.

Just wondering what USDM alternator would suit my E207 V5 Subaru, also, any insight what belt I should be looking for?

Thanks guys!

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
Re: 1999 GC8 Alternator Equivalent
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 09:37:34 am »
Batteries lose their effectiveness in the cold and over a lifetime of being in an environment with vibrations (most lead-acid automotive batteries have a lifespan of 5 years). If you're running the OEM battery, it's likely well past it's lifespan. And it's also -30 out. The battery also likely doesn't have near the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) to move the starter and fire the plugs.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

bigtimegambler

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 02:03:22 pm »
Alternator part # is 23700-AA280 for the 1999 Impreza WRX/STI.

But as RedndWhite mentioned, It is extremely cold outside so a difficult start is to be expected.

You can take the battery out and get it tested at any Auto Value for free.

Your best bet for a smooth and reliable start in cold temperatures is installing a block heater. The part # is A0910-AS100.

- BTG

Offline skoOdle

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1999 Version 5 ST
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 08:23:26 pm »
Alternator part # is 23700-AA280 for the 1999 Impreza WRX/STI.

But as RedndWhite mentioned, It is extremely cold outside so a difficult start is to be expected.

You can take the battery out and get it tested at any Auto Value for free.

Your best bet for a smooth and reliable start in cold temperatures is installing a block heater. The part # is A0910-AS100.

- BTG

Thanks for the info!

I never had any startup problems last year with this vehicle until now, just this morning when it was super cold up here in Edmonton. I'll look into the option of installing a block heater (never have done so, difficulty level?) but don't want to have to rely on a plug in at all times. Perhaps it's time to invest in a new battery...

Has anyone looked into this?

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/200w-2a-magnetic-engine-oil-heater/A-p4270099e

bigtimegambler

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 08:43:28 pm »
Yeah the install for the block heater isn't so bad, its in a fairly accessible area. There are some threads on this site that detail what is needed for tools and installation.

I'd honestly just go and get your battery tested because its free. But, most likely its just the extreme cold temperatures. All cars will have difficulty starting in -30c without being plugged in.