Author Topic: Extending USDM downpipe vs. Shortening JDM Catback  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Reid183

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Bugeye STI 2000.5 Bugeye WRX
Extending USDM downpipe vs. Shortening JDM Catback
« on: December 27, 2017, 03:08:57 am »
So guys simple question, I love the sound of my catback but it is JDM spec and I want to go for a catless DP while i'm tuning my car and definitely don't want to go through the trouble of finding an aftermarket JDM downpipe. That being said i'm going to need to take one or the other into an exhaust shop and get one shortened/ lengthened. To anyone who has gone this route, what did you end up doing, what exhaust setup do you have, do hangers still line up after modification, etc?

Another thing related, if I do shorten the mid pipe, is my exhaust effectively the same as a USDM aftermarket exhaust or are there different hanger locations, bends, etc?

(car is a '00 GDA wrx)

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
Re: Extending USDM downpipe vs. Shortening JDM Catback
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 05:28:06 am »
Here is my thoughts. Get a usdm dp and mod the exhaust, this way you can buy a usdm catback in the future and sell your catback to someone else much easier... if you decide to swap catbacks.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 07:41:46 am »
Here is my thoughts. Get a usdm dp and mod the exhaust, this way you can buy a usdm catback in the future and sell your catback to someone else much easier... if you decide to swap catbacks.

Words of wisdom ^
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline WAGOWN

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 10:28:08 am »
Yup. Came to say the same. Pick a well reviewed exhaust shop or find a good welder to fab that itchbay to fit a USDM DP.
02 WRX, 97 OBS, 03 WRX, 98 OBS, 97 JDM Leg, 97 s/tb, 03 OBS, JDM V7 STi Wagon

Offline Reid183

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 07:24:48 pm »
Yeah those where my thoughts because if I ever need to sell the cat back it will be a much easier sell as usdm length.

Thanks guys!

Offline Reid183

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 06:23:58 pm »
Another quick questions maybe someone could answer for me. I'm getting a used usdm downpipe shipped out from Ontario on Friday, any clue if the jdm and usdm axelbacks are the same? The reason I am asking is the seller has a usdm midpipe he would be willing to throw in for cheap and i'm wondering if that would bolt up to both my jdm axelback and the usdm downpipe and avoid me having to modify my midpipe.