Author Topic: 1985 4Runner  (Read 4906 times)

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
Re: 1985 4Runner
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 08:11:35 am »
seriously screw photobucket.

Upload to imgur, its a bit more of a hassle since theyve been trying to turn it into like a social media site, but make an account, click "create post", upload a file, when its done, if you dont want huge pictures (you dont), you have to then go to your username in the top right, click the arrow, go to images, click the image you just uploaded, then down in the right, theres "sizes". Click "huge thumbnail". Then under BBCode, click the blue copy button. Then once back here, just paste what you got. The nice part is it automatically resizes any photo to a reasonable size. Despite how much it prompts you, you dont have to tag and "post" your photos.

What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 02:15:52 pm »
Use imgur or Flickr instead of Photobucket.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 03:59:17 pm »
seriously screw photobucket.

Yeah, don't support photobucket with your patronage. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2005 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 06:19:11 pm »
I have been, it may be that I’m terrible with the iPad. I’m going to try it on my wife’s computer tonight.
Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 07:56:49 am »
Roof racks off

Parts

Handiest toque I have, comes in handy

Bonus pic of our cat. She keeps dragging this box out of recycling-usually when we are sleeping - and just hangs out in it
Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 01:29:29 pm »
Tracking down the exhaust leaks.  2 broken studs, the rest of the nuts were pretty loose.  Also no muffler clamp just before the muffler, picked one up today

Horn doesn’t work, took the steering wheel off, cleaned both contact surfaces and used some dielectric grease and horn works.

These vacuum lines were not routed properly and idle has been terrible.  Google has a good vacuum diagram, all fixed.
Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 06:35:13 pm »
The po fabbbed up the front bumper.  It has bad welds and the wiring for the lights was a mess of electrical tape and twisted wire so I pulled it off, cleaned up all the wiring and will wait until I find something a little more my style,

Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Canyon & 2001 STI
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2018, 09:22:22 pm »
In the first picture, with the broken exhaust studs, what is that hose supposed to be connected to?

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2018, 09:49:24 pm »
In the first picture, with the broken exhaust studs, what is that hose supposed to be connected to?

holy eagle eye. Front diff breather cap?
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2018, 10:05:38 pm »

Rear heater hose, I traced it back when I was flushing the heater core, it’s cut off right at the heater inlet too. So many little things like that which have to be cleaned up.  We live in a condo here, and we aren’t allowed to work on our vehicles. I was busted for painting the tow hooks on my forester.  An email reffering to the strata bylaw and a warning.  I go out early morning or night, or when I see the strata president leave.  Can’t wait to move and have a garage again.
Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 09:20:28 am »
Yeah, that DIY bumper was a bit too #because4runner.  Looks good without a bumper.  Skid plate? 

Bonus pic of our cat. She keeps dragging this box out of recycling-usually when we are sleeping - and just hangs out in it

Nice amp.  What do you have on vinyl? 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 08:50:26 pm »
A variety, lots of 70s, 80s, some newer stuff, some classical, some old Johnny cash, link Wray and other odds and ends. I like the old sansui amps, they may not look,flashy but they sure hav e a nice punch.
Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2018, 07:57:59 am »
Finally cleaned up all the exhaust leaks, ended up buying a new exhaust manifold/heat shield, exhaust manifold gaskets, flange exhaust gaskets, and replaced the exhaust manifold studs too. So quiet now.

Changed the shift lever ball seat and lever socket with Marlin HD parts, no slop anymore

Next up, i ordered some silicone vacuum line to replace the old cracked lines, and today I’m replacing the rear drums, wheel cylinders and pads.

Picture looking towards Powell River on the mainland.

Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline Gargoyle

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: soul crushingly stock 2010 WRX
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2018, 09:19:06 am »
I like these threads where people fix up old vehicles properly, but i hate to ask, how much money have you spent, or are going to spend on fixing this up?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2018, 10:51:27 am »
I like these threads where people fix up old vehicles properly, but i hate to ask, how much money have you spent, or are going to spend on fixing this up?

After doing something similar (but slower) on my mini, my answer is that some questions are better left unanswered.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2018, 10:58:05 am »

Excellent question, one that is debated quite regularly, and there are many factors involved.  If you are buying a vehicle to be a daily, buying a good used car, even if it is relatively old can actually be a cost savings if you take into account vehicle depreciation.  The cost savings can be quite large if you are able to repair a vehicle yourself also.  Of course this depends how long you keep your cars too. Most people that buy new cars go back and buy another one 3-5 years later, so depreciation is most the of the costs (aside from regular operation).

I think this is a great example of using a reliable used vehicle as a daily driver.  I always liked LDS' 4Runner and was said he got rid of it.

Offline Gargoyle

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: soul crushingly stock 2010 WRX
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2018, 11:07:41 am »
After doing something similar (but slower) on my mini, my answer is that some questions are better left unanswered.

that's what i was guessing, i just wonder in the long run if it's worth it

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2018, 11:33:57 am »
that's what i was guessing, i just wonder in the long run if it's worth it

It all comes down to what you're into.

Besides occasional headaches, an old assay car made good again won't cost you more than a new car flat out. A new 4R is like $50k. It's difficult to imagine buying an old car in decent shape for $7k and spending $43,000 on it.

Whether or not it's "worth it" all boils down to personal preference. If you LIKE old cars, there's value in owning an old car. That alone to some people is worth it.

Some people buy cars to have a new thing or as an appliance. An old car might not be worth it. Some people buy new cars because they plan on selling them. This is strange to me but it's just how some people were raised? It makes sense to them.

Lots of people buy old Toyota's and have "unlimited budget" to keep it going. Basically saying, I will never ever not drive this, so money I spend on upkeep isn't a sunken cost.

A friend of mine on the island has a 4 door short box tacoma in red and he never wants to own another vehicle. It was totalled in Vancouver on a bridge and he bought it back, fixed it, lifted it, added a bumper,  sliders, winch, and new tires. I think he got a shop to replace 6 body panels and they had to weld the frame. Cost $11k (most of which was got from payout).

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2018, 09:36:06 pm »
This is my second Toyota, love them and love working on them.  I’ve looked on and off for an 1985 and only 1985 Toyota for over 8 years.  Last year of the solid front axle, 1st year for the 22re/no timing belt, and has gear driven transfer case. My plan is to make it dependable for exploring some of the great places around here.  It’s pretty much there, I’m driving it over 10 hours per week for work, and ironed most of the stuff on my list.  Is it pretty? No.  Is it fast? No. Does it ride nice, haha nope but it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. 
Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2018, 08:43:37 am »
This is my second Toyota, love them and love working on them.  I’ve looked on and off for an 1985 and only 1985 Toyota for over 8 years.  Last year of the solid front axle, 1st year for the 22re/no timing belt, and has gear driven transfer case. My plan is to make it dependable for exploring some of the great places around here.  It’s pretty much there, I’m driving it over 10 hours per week for work, and ironed most of the stuff on my list.  Is it pretty? No.  Is it fast? No. Does it ride nice, haha nope but it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

and perhaps most importantly, you'll never get the same experience with any other vehicle.

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2018, 10:55:10 pm »
and perhaps most importantly, you'll never get the same experience with any other vehicle.
And, like Subaru and Jeep and others I’m sure, there’s a great community that have all sorts of parts and pieces for these older trucks that are either impossible or hard to find.  I met a fellow yesterday that came to the shop with an 87 4Runner, we had a nice chat and exchanged contact info.  Today, I was doing the rear brakes and found that the left bell crank for the e-brake was broken.  I phoned every supply shop and auto-wreckers with no luck.  Contacted buddy with the 87 and he tells me he has a spare rear diff that I can check for parts.  1/2 hour later I have it at the shop and get the bell crank and rubber boot which I was missing. 
Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2018, 09:32:09 am »
And, like Subaru and Jeep and others I’m sure, there’s a great community that have all sorts of parts and pieces for these older trucks that are either impossible or hard to find.  I met a fellow yesterday that came to the shop with an 87 4Runner, we had a nice chat and exchanged contact info.  Today, I was doing the rear brakes and found that the left bell crank for the e-brake was broken.  I phoned every supply shop and auto-wreckers with no luck.  Contacted buddy with the 87 and he tells me he has a spare rear diff that I can check for parts.  1/2 hour later I have it at the shop and get the bell crank and rubber boot which I was missing.

Toyota parts in particular seem to only still exist in the hands of hoarders, so cultivating sources like that is so important.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2018, 03:36:39 pm »
Toyota parts in particular seem to only still exist in the hands of hoarders, so cultivating sources like that is so important.
No idea what your talking about...

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2018, 10:16:33 pm »
Busted bell crank

Shiny drums

Pads, hardware kit, wheel cylinders and anti-seize a-plenty

Next up, new tires.  I have some BFG KO2s coming in.
Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2018, 10:38:14 pm »
Maybe a liiiiiittle overboard with the anti seize. But I like your enthusiasm.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.