Author Topic: 2018 Biking Thread  (Read 7270 times)

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
2018 Biking Thread
« on: January 05, 2018, 09:42:44 am »
Lets start this off again

Empty night at B line last night which is nice to improve some skills and more fun than a gym

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
Re: 2018 Biking Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 11:41:07 am »
This place looks fantastic... Next time im in Calgary, I'd love to get out there.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:46:05 pm »
Sweet! I already can’t wait to get back on the trails.

What’s everyone’s plans for the year? New bikes? Big trips? Racing?

I’m going to be getting a new bike in the spring, I’m going to be on another Specialized for sure, just waffling between the Enduro Elite and the Stumpjumper Expert 6Fattie. I’m leaning pretty heavily towards the Stumpy.

I got a gimbal for the GoPro and am hoping to start cataloging the local trails similar to what Nate Hills, BCpov, and BKXC are doing.

Hopefully get more miles this season. Had close to 700 km of single track this past season.

Maybe see a few of you on the trails again this year!
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 11:50:24 am »
Lets start this off again

Empty night at B line last night which is nice to improve some skills and more fun than a gym

Damn that looks fun. I've got a BMX that I seldom ride, and haven't ridden like it's supposed to be ridden.

I'm a road geek now (on an '88 chromoly Kuwahara), but used to "free ride" quite a bit up until ~2002. Free ride bikes back then were still often hard tails, so wheely drops could be painful at times.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 11:24:33 am »
Back at B line last night wasn't busy.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 10:17:19 am »
Cross posting here as this thread probably sees more traffic.

Selling my Enduro, take a look!
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=55541.0
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 10:02:14 am »
Who is getting stoked? Things in the Okanagan are still pretty wet but a few zones are dry enough to ride. I haven’t gotten out yet since I sold my old Enduro and am waiting on the new bike, should be here within the next week.

Have some exciting news to share but have a few details to flush out before I let the cat out of the bag.

THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 04:24:51 pm »
I'm getting somewhat excited for sure!

I'll be hitting up Mt. Fromme in late May/early June, and then Panorama in the early summer. Hoping to get some riding done in between those dates on weekends in the river valley and likely in Hinton.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 05:03:03 pm »
Hey everyone! I'm stoked to announce my new YouTube channel, letsgoridebikes. My first video is live and you can check it out below. This is my first real kick at the can for a proper YouTube channel and it is a crap ton of work. If you like what you see, please help me out by subscribing to both the channel on YouTube as well as the Facebook page. I'm hoping to be posting at least once a week and will be focusing on the Penticton area, but as I have the opportunity I will also be able to share other places I get to ride.

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsfdJz0N2z02xBg-nQiWDMw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liveontheedj/

THE EDJ on flickr

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 09:10:01 am »
I'm so excited for the season to start up! I have a feeling I'm going to get out more this year, than I have the entire previous 6 years of living in Calgary. Kind of sad actually lol. My fiancee bought a new "real" bike late last year and loves it, totally changes her perception on biking as she was used to heavy Supercycle garbage prior. Now that she has it to begin the season, neither of us can wait for the snow to melt.

Only downside is I still need to work out my front brake issue, and the bunk brakes some guy sold me last year. Anyone know a shop in Calgary that services Formula?

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 12:39:17 pm »
Awesome to hear coop3422, having a decent bike makes a huge difference in boosting confidence. What's conditions like on the east side of Rockies?

Things are continuing to dry out in the Okanagan and we are finally able to start smashing out some laps. Check out the latest video from my new, letsgoridebikes. Hopefully it gets people stoked!

THE EDJ on flickr

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 02:54:05 pm »
It really does. Spending $700 on a bike seemed absurd to her. Wasn't till we did a ride or two with her lugging the old supercycle through fish creek that she decided to trust me. She loves the thing, worked out well.

As for conditions, wet and sloppy. We keep getting snow, and having it melt the next day. Makes for gross conditions in the dirt. Supposed to warm up today onward though, so hoping things dry up soon.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 04:34:30 pm »
Well, y’all are welcome out here anytime, if I’m around I’d be more than happy to show you around!
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 07:48:47 pm »
uckfay. My shop calgary cycle has moved across the city from me and now I no longer want to go.
Looking for someone to do a fox fork rebuild, a brake bleed, a pivot lube, and a derailleur tune with some new drivetrain parts IF THEY THINK I NEED IT.
Normally I would trust calgary cycle to pull this off without ripping me off, but uckfay they are far away. Is it worth the trip or can anyone suggest a different place to get good service done?
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 09:55:39 am »
uckfay. My shop calgary cycle has moved across the city from me and now I no longer want to go.
Looking for someone to do a fox fork rebuild, a brake bleed, a pivot lube, and a derailleur tune with some new drivetrain parts IF THEY THINK I NEED IT.
Normally I would trust calgary cycle to pull this off without ripping me off, but uckfay they are far away. Is it worth the trip or can anyone suggest a different place to get good service done?

Longlivetheride still manages a shop a think. I'm just not sure which one it is. Or you can pay for me to fly out there and I'll do it all. I have to rebuild both of my forks this spring, reblead both bikes and overhaul my Giant.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 10:12:12 am »
Haha fly in personal bike Mech. Sounds cheap.
I don't have any experience with forks but it seems pretty easy. I've done tons of brakes but never well. And I basically just blindly feel my way through drivetrains.. I can do it all myself just not really well and I really don't have the time.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 01:47:15 pm »
Is it worth upgrading from 26" to 27.5+" or 29"?

I have a FS 26" but very limited resources..  I'm perfectly happy with it (2014 Knolly Endorphin).. probably not worth the upgrade eh.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 01:54:36 pm »
Is it worth upgrading from 26" to 27.5+" or 29"?

I have a FS 26" but very limited resources..  I'm perfectly happy with it (2014 Knolly Endorphin).. probably not worth the upgrade eh.

Short answer, yes. Pick a wheel size and be a d*ck about it.

I'm on 29's (past two bikes) and really like them. Modern geometry and big wheels makes for a fast rolling, stable ride that gives confidence in any terrain. Lots of good options to choose from. If budget is a concern, buy 2016ish model year and you will get a good compromise on geometry and handling and value for money.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 02:48:08 pm »
different wheel sizes is a scam to sell more parts.
Just like BB "standards".

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 02:29:20 pm »
different wheel sizes is a scam to sell more parts.
Just like BB "standards".

Belive me its frustrating as a shop to stock more parts especially BB"s. The bump up to 27.5 and 29 does come with some pros and cons. I would ride what you got and wear it out unless you need the new

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 10:38:45 am »
Aight, sounds like a solid plan.  Gotta stop looking at Pinkbike and MTBR too.. lots of temptation.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 11:24:13 am »
Aight, sounds like a solid plan.  Gotta stop looking at Pinkbike and MTBR too.. lots of temptation.

I need some brakes so I've been looking on PB. Then I get sidetracked by the idea of buying something else. Dangerous.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 08:57:02 pm »
Today was bearing day on the GF's Syren hopefully get out to Invermere next weekend

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 11:31:44 am »
You getting the $100 pass for Panorama?

Here is the next instalment of letsgoridebikes, this is definitely one of my favourite trails in the entire Okanagan valley. Enjoy!
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 05:16:11 pm »
You getting the $100 pass for Panorama?

No works out better to get the Fernie Kicking horse pass to me. Not a big fan of Pano - Mostly the drive and accommodations. The new trails should be interesting but you have to add another $179 to the 100 dollar pass which i wasn't a fan of