Author Topic: 2018 Biking Thread  (Read 7271 times)

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
Re: 2018 Biking Thread
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 09:24:51 am »
Bonus video this week... This is the tail end to the 6-Stitches ride, super fun.

"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 10:07:30 am »
Some of you may know a few of these people, the Alberta 66 Mountain Bike crew was in Penticton and we got to show them around a local secret. Lots of fun!

"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 07:42:58 am »
Great ride out in Golden Monday with a couple puddles the overall very good condition

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2018, 09:13:35 am »
DVO forks? Love the orange/green colour combo!

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 09:14:26 am »
FYI bikes and brew is having a kona demo day at west Bragg on Monday next week.
I think all process.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2018, 09:23:02 am »
FYI bikes and brew is having a kona demo day at west Bragg on Monday next week.
I think all process.
Ugh, I don't need anymore financial temptations dammit. But I've been curious about the Process line for a while now....

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2018, 09:42:34 am »
DVO forks? Love the orange/green colour combo!

Thanks the green and orange worked out. Was fortunate enough to have Intense help me meet the DVO folks and make this happen. DVO front and rear suspension lots features and very smooth

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2018, 11:35:33 am »
Thanks the green and orange worked out. Was fortunate enough to have Intense help me meet the DVO folks and make this happen. DVO front and rear suspension lots features and very smooth

More than I'd ever spend on a bike/bike parts I'm sure, but looks awesome!

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2018, 09:51:52 am »
Got a Park Tools PCS-10 work stand for my bday. Always wanted one, pretty pumped to put it together this weekend!

Also should be dropping off the front brakes I bought last fall to the guy I bought em off of. They have a seized cylinder. He seemed legit and said he'd take a look at them and fix them for me, so hopefully that keeps me from needing to buy new brakes this year.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2018, 08:08:14 am »
Got a couple rides in at moose mountain friday 95% of U shoulda was clear with the odd spot of snow. Husky road still as brutal as always to ride up

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2005 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2018, 09:21:57 am »
Well, I’ve banged around on a few of the trails here in Cumberland. 20 plus years of technology later I am going to retire the Klein and find something that won’t feel like I’m riding on solid steel.  There are some great trails here, and I really enjoy it, I’m pretty tame though.

Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2018, 07:17:02 pm »
That bike is awesome!!! Keep it going

Well, I’ve banged around on a few of the trails here in Cumberland. 20 plus years of technology later I am going to retire the Klein and find something that won’t feel like I’m riding on solid steel.  There are some great trails here, and I really enjoy it, I’m pretty tame though.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2018, 09:44:57 am »
When I hear of moose mountain, people talk about shuttling. Do you pretty much have to shuttle, or are there lots of regular trails there too? Thinking of take the fiancee next weekend but the first ride of the year shouldn't be too difficult lol.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2018, 04:20:04 pm »

When I hear of moose mountain, people talk about shuttling. Do you pretty much have to shuttle, or are there lots of regular trails there too? Thinking of take the fiancee next weekend but the first ride of the year shouldn't be too difficult lol.

Moose is good there is shuttling there when the gate is open but there also are some all mountain trails. U shoulda is a tough climb up a fire road to the entry point. Check sites like trail forks for an idea of conditions. West Bragg might be a better bet on a  trail like Bragging rights to merlin view

Link to Trail forks
https://www.trailforks.com/region/moose-mountain/?lat=50.927967&lon=-114.718938&z=12&m=trailforks

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2018, 09:19:47 am »
I got to demo the new 2019 Specialized Stumpjumper, it was a good time. There isn't a lot of commentary on the bike, but it's pretty clear in the video that the bike rips!

THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2018, 10:38:47 am »
I test rode a 2019 Spesh Stumpjumper ST, alum model.  I like it.  But sadly, I'm poor and thus will have to stay 26" for a while longer!

It wasn't too expensive either, at $2600.  Knolly is willing to offer me a 27.5" Endorphin frame, a free fork, and $350 wheels to upgrade but I'd still need peripheral accessories (like tires) for the same price.  I think I'd rather go 29".
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2018, 10:48:48 am »
Holy itshay watch out for ticks.
Went on a hike in K country and over the course of the day found 5 or 6 ticks on my clothes and backpack. Two inside my shirt. Between the 3 of us we probably picked up 15 of the bastards.

Ticks are the one thing that can make me hate nature.

Anyone get a permythrum or whatever spray for their clothes and bags? I can't really find a product meant for that application.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2018, 09:42:07 am »
Quick ride up on West Bragg- Trail Bragging rights to Merlin Veiw.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2018, 08:56:13 am »
Plan on giving Bragging Rights a try this weekend. The fiancee is hoping it's not too difficult lol.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2018, 12:24:16 pm »
I test rode a 2019 Spesh Stumpjumper ST, alum model.  I like it.  But sadly, I'm poor and thus will have to stay 26" for a while longer!

It wasn't too expensive either, at $2600.  Knolly is willing to offer me a 27.5" Endorphin frame, a free fork, and $350 wheels to upgrade but I'd still need peripheral accessories (like tires) for the same price.  I think I'd rather go 29".

That’s pretty good value! For what it’s worth at that price point I’d stick with Aluminum Comp 29 and don’t bother with the Carbon Comp.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2018, 04:54:19 pm »
Plan on giving Bragging Rights a try this weekend. The fiancee is hoping it's not too difficult lol.

Its a great ride i would recommend being out there nice an early as it ill be a busy weekend on that trail

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2018, 09:00:19 am »
That’s pretty good value! For what it’s worth at that price point I’d stick with Aluminum Comp 29 and don’t bother with the Carbon Comp.

Yep, there's 2 left in XL across Canada but I'm not buying without trying it out first.  They won't order it in for me to try unless I put down a deposit.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2018, 01:20:12 pm »

Lots of stuff out there that don't require shuttling.  Bow used to do a 80ish km race starting at station flats.  It hasn't been run for years due to the flood damage and powderface being closed in the past.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2018, 09:17:39 am »
Looks like things are picking up on the east side of the Rockies, good to see!

Still building the foundations for the YouTube channel, last week was good, the Stumpjumper video has taken off so that's pretty awesome. Here is the first of this week's videos!
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2018, 09:15:53 am »
Went out to Bragg Creek on Saturday, beautiful day! I told the fiancee about Bragging Rights, instead of a blue she wanted to do a green so mapping it out, we chose Snowshoe Hare to Demi-Tel. Bad idea, that itshay was almost all uphill lol. We went up for over an hour, then came down. It's the first time she's ever ridden anything more than Fish Creek, and the trail wasn't very exciting.

She wanted to at least see Bragging Rights so we went up it a bit, damn that is exactly what I was looking for! She liked it too, but we were both too gassed to do the whole thing after going up the other trail. Probably go back after the long weekend and go straight to Bragging Rights.