Author Topic: Slayer VS Enduro  (Read 1402 times)

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Is slow. And beaten up..
Slayer VS Enduro
« on: January 07, 2018, 04:59:56 pm »
Picking up a new bike - likely end of this next season, but I'm tossed up between two.

Either a..

Rocky Mountain Slayer. I'm a HUGE Rocky fan. New they range from 5400 to 8700. Sale right now puts them about 4200 -> 6700.

Specialized Enduro. Never ridden a Specialized but they're rated incredibly well and look like a great bike. I would love to get into a 29er which the Rocky comes in 27.5. Can find these anywhere from 2200-8000 depending on the level.

Currently riding an 07 Rocky Mountain Switch 2 - weights quite a bit, awesome bike otherwise.

Anybody ridden either - or ideally both that can put in some input?

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
Re: Slayer VS Enduro
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 04:26:37 pm »
Been a huge fan of the Intense Carbine and the Primer after riding them lots this summer. Around here ( Calgary and within 3 hrs of ) i would lean towards a 29nr. No one makes a bad bike but you should make sure you are getting as much as you can with your bike purchase like

1. Service plans - Can you use them is there only one free tune up
2. Bikes Fits
3. What does exchanging parts look like do i  pay the difference or do i have to pay for 2 stems
4. do you like the shop to deal with
5. Color - I know lame but if you are not stoked on it you wont ride it falls back under the statement that every brand makes a pretty great bike

Cheers

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 10:25:32 am »
I've been on an Enduro Comp 29 for the last 2 seasons and upgrading to a Stumpjumper 6Fattie as soon as I can fork out the cash. I was waffling between the Enduro Elite and Stumpy Expert for a while but finally settled on the Stumpy Expert 6Fattie (27.5+) as it should suit my riding style and terrain. The plus size tires look really fun and and have a similar diameter to the 29er. I am downhill oriented and love smashing through rocks, steep tech, etc. It would seem that the Enduro should be a better fit for me, but based on what I've read and watched, the Stumpy 6Fattie won't slow me down. I also have a good friend who rode one last year and absolutely loves it.

I really like the Enduro though, it climbs really well and it's a bruiser on the DH. Pretty well all the local fast guys are on Enduro's. Check out Bike Magazine's Bible of Bikes 2018 on YouTube. I'll echo Longlivetheride's comments on the 29er, don't bother with 27.5.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline kold911

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2014 forester XT, 1/2 of a 2003 wrx
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 11:16:18 am »
I'm not a fan of specialized since this..

http://www.velonews.com/2013/12/bikes-and-tech/specializeds-disastrous-trademark-case-is-unnecessary-to-defend-the-brand_310878

I'm on a Rocky Instinct, and I find it's the perfect trail bike for around here, but I'm old, so I avoid big drops/gaps, lol.

When I was buying (2014), I found that rocky was the better deal for the pricepoint.  And it helps that Rocky has a XXL size..
Jeff

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 03:20:03 pm »
I'm not a fan of specialized since this..

http://www.velonews.com/2013/12/bikes-and-tech/specializeds-disastrous-trademark-case-is-unnecessary-to-defend-the-brand_310878

I'm on a Rocky Instinct, and I find it's the perfect trail bike for around here, but I'm old, so I avoid big drops/gaps, lol.

When I was buying (2014), I found that rocky was the better deal for the pricepoint.  And it helps that Rocky has a XXL size..

Despite the fact that Specialized took action to legally defend something that was rightfully theirs and regardless of the community backlash, they make a kick assay bike that to cross off the short list would be a mistake.

If you can, demo the bikes you want to buy. A lot of shops will "rent" or demo bike and then put the rental cost towards the purchase of a bike, if they even charge for that. Totally worth it to make sure you are getting something that you will actually enjoy riding.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 10:18:55 am »
To the test ride comment, it's a great idea. And there's something I heard about on the radio, an event called the Fit Fest, this weekend is in Calgary, and then there's one in Edmonton as well. Some local shops will be there and are doing test rides on new bikes. Might be worth your checking out. I was considering it, but since I'm not realistically buying a new bike this year, I decided not to tempt myself.

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 06:44:24 pm »
Man. That's almost worth the drive, if the bikes I'd like to test are there. But this weekend?

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 11:08:29 am »
Man. That's almost worth the drive, if the bikes I'd like to test are there. But this weekend?

The site said there's one in EDM, not sure when though.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 04:38:01 pm »
You make a decision yet? I'm just gonna leave this here…

rock oven by Evan Jones, on Flickr
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 01:01:28 pm »
You picked up a new Enduro?

Thinking long travel 29er at the moment, including the Enduro.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 03:37:35 pm »
I have heard the new stumpjumper is an absolute trail slaying machine.
But what do I know im used to 40lb plush couch bikes.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 12:26:28 pm »
You picked up a new Enduro?

Thinking long travel 29er at the moment, including the Enduro.

Yeah I am now officially a Specialized Ambassador for my region in BC so I couldn’t pass this up! The bike freaking rips!

I also really like the new Stumpy and if I did more climbing I would be on that rather the Enduro.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 02:22:06 pm »
I looked at an 18 Enduro, the use or proprietary parts turns me off.  The rear shock is moulded into the suspension linkage, for example.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 02:24:25 pm »
Yeah I am now officially a Specialized Ambassador for my region in BC so I couldn’t pass this up! The bike freaking rips!

I also really like the new Stumpy and if I did more climbing I would be on that rather the Enduro.

Can you hook me up with a new Carbon Stumpjumper ST in XL?
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 09:48:37 am »
Haha my ability to swing that is basically nil. It seems like Specialized is starting to move away from the proprietary design features, at least if you’d believe their latest marketing program for the Stumpy.
THE EDJ on flickr