Author Topic: Seeking info on a water pump kit for a 95 wrx  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Organic777

• Stubbly Faced
Seeking info on a water pump kit for a 95 wrx
« on: January 18, 2018, 02:02:38 pm »
my water pump just went in my 95 wrx gf8, so I'm wondering where could I get a kit from and/or what is compatible with my car. I looked up online that the 02-05 wrx water pump kit would possibly fit but my car runs the old tensioner :s. I have also seen kits on ebay and other websites site that include the timing kit and stuff, but again not sure what all Is compatible. I Would appreciate any information regarding, thanks!  O0

Offline DWS

• Stubbly Faced
  • 1994 JDM WRX
  • Ride: 94 JDM WRX
Re: Seeking info on a water pump kit for a 95 wrx
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 02:54:07 pm »
New pumps are available from Gates.  I bought mine from RockAuto when I did the timing belt.  Don't have the part number handy at work but call the Gates Tech Support line and they will tell you which part number to order.  There are a few which makes it confusing - at least for me.  Always nice to chat with someone to get confirmation from the manufacturer for my application.

Don't thing there is a rebuild kit available and a new pump was not outrageous.

Doug

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 03:39:35 pm »
New pumps are available from Gates.  I bought mine from RockAuto when I did the timing belt.  Don't have the part number handy at work but call the Gates Tech Support line and they will tell you which part number to order.  There are a few which makes it confusing - at least for me.  Always nice to chat with someone to get confirmation from the manufacturer for my application.

Don't thing there is a rebuild kit available and a new pump was not outrageous.

Doug

I too dont think there was a rebuilt kit. Your best bet is to order online from rockauto. You could always try to find one from a scrapper or a pulled engine, but you might as well buy new.

While you're at it, does your timing belt need to be replaced? You could do that all at once with a timing belt/water pump kit from gates. If youre in Edmonton, the guys at First Gear will do it all for you for about $1000.

Offline EvanCL93

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 96' STi - 87' Rx7 FC3S TII - 01' Legacy Wagon
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 11:39:16 am »
2002-2004 water pump works. The Timing Belt tensioner is above the water Pump and theres a bracket that can be unbolted and switch to run the newer style Tensioner. However I've heard the 20g tensioner design has a less likely chance of failure.
Here's a link to a water pump that would work for you. Weather you want to order it off this site or something more local is up to you.

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/water-pumps/gat-43513-gates-water-pump

Offline DWS

• Stubbly Faced
  • 1994 JDM WRX
  • Ride: 94 JDM WRX
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 02:55:40 pm »
I agree, do the timing belt too when you do the pump.  Cheap insurance and you need to pull the timing belt anyway tp get the pump off so why not.  I did the serpentine belts as well.

Personally I'd avoid a used pump simply because of the pressures on the bearings from the timing belt.  I did mine at 120,000km and it looked and worked fine but who knows how long it would last.  Why take the chance...

No issue what so ever with reusing the tensioner.  Its a solid unit as long as you don't push the piston in too fast and screw it up when resetting it.

Cheers,

Doug