Author Topic: "Cold" air intakes...  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: assorted Subarus with scoops, & a tiller, the 2 wheeled kind
"Cold" air intakes...
« on: January 31, 2018, 10:43:29 am »
So, a little bit of information that I have noticed around intake air temperatures.

Ive been driving an '05 outback XT for the last little while.
We also have an 06 LGT, that we have been enjoying for a few years.
These are basically the same car aerodynamics/engine/exhaust ect

The XT is basically stock, but is missing the plastic underbelly drip pan thing (I just cannot call it a skid pan, because it is not)
The LGT is also currently missing the underbelly drip pan, but when we got it, it came with a Perrin intake, which we fit on a AEM airfilter, but the stock airbox is gone. It's also sporting a bigger turbo and bigger intercooler, but I don't think that is too significant for this info.

Both cars have outside ambient air temp displays built in (I have no idea where the sensor is, but they seem basically accurate)
I usually have intake air temperature as one of the displays on the torque app.

On the XT, the intake air and the ambient air are exactly the same number on the highway, General driving around town the intake air a few degrees above ambient, and it drops down quickly after getting above 60 kph or so. If you sit and idle for a long time it does climb, but not excessively, a little hard to really know right now - winter time arg.

On the LGT, the intake air is NEVER less than 10 degrees ABOVE ambient even on the highway for extended periods, and if its hot out, its more, and if you running it hard, its more, (than 10 above ambient).  Around town in the LGT, its usually at least 20 above ambient, and if it idles- you can easily see 45 or 50 degrees C in short order. (the torque app has an alarm feature that you can set a warning on various parameters).
So in short, if your going to eliminate that airbox... you really should do something to keep it heat out of the intake.
That's it.. looks like I need to fab up, or buy a "hot air blocker". 

LGT

And a "just before I started cleaning" pic of the stock set up on the XT (yes the airbox lid is off, but its normally there :))

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
Re: "Cold" air intakes...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 11:28:25 am »
This is interesting. I hope you follow up with the results of a temp block. Can you post a picture of intake/location? There is a fair amount on the market with different locations

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 11:34:11 am »
Just to clarify, your LGT has a Short Ram Intake?  So the intake sucks air from the engine bay?  Or a Cold Air Intake with the filter in the fender well? 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: assorted Subarus with scoops, & a tiller, the 2 wheeled kind
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 01:00:33 pm »
Just to clarify, your LGT has a Short Ram Intake?  So the intake sucks air from the engine bay?  Or a Cold Air Intake with the filter in the fender well?
Oops yes short ram would be tbe correct term. It draws air from behind the headlight in the engine bay. Ill snap a couple pics for clarity.  update: pics added to first post.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 03:29:00 pm »
Yup, I've got a short ram intake and temps are regularly 10+ above ambient.

The fender suckers aren't a great option either, in my opinion. The filter for the AEM cold air intake on my STI would be covered in salt stains every spring.

Use an aftermarket intake for fun turbo noises, not for performance.

I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.