Author Topic: Official Garage thread  (Read 21868 times)

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
  • Ride: 2016 CWP WRX
Re: Official Garage thread
« Reply #450 on: July 12, 2019, 08:48:15 AM »
I am such a procrastinator I need to paint my garage .. I should do that next week.

Offline Claw

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | 06S2k
« Reply #451 on: August 13, 2019, 12:09:16 AM »
I feel like I dont mind the smaller size, but you need to be more efficient with storage space.

I wish I had handy family members.. I'd like to put in a few more plugs but I'd have to put holes into the drywall.  As it stands, two plugs near the front of the garage and one up top by the garage door opener ain't gonna cut it.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline seat safety switch

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: 05 Saab 9-2X Linear
« Reply #452 on: August 13, 2019, 07:45:31 AM »
I wish I had handy family members.. I'd like to put in a few more plugs but I'd have to put holes into the drywall.  As it stands, two plugs near the front of the garage and one up top by the garage door opener ain't gonna cut it.

My outlet situation also sucks, all of my outlets are on the back wall of the garage. I was thinking of doing some kind of ceiling-mounted extension cord.

Offline Claw

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #453 on: August 13, 2019, 08:07:56 AM »
My outlet situation also sucks, all of my outlets are on the back wall of the garage. I was thinking of doing some kind of ceiling-mounted extension cord.

Yeah one of my neighbours put in additional lighting in the ceiling and added more boxes near the lights.  Might be the best way to do it.  Right now I only have two lights in the garage, one over the middle of each parking spot that I've put those Philips high powered LEDs in.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #454 on: August 13, 2019, 08:51:04 AM »

Ditto. I have two on the back wall, one on each side of the doorway to the house, and one on the ceiling that's connected to a switch, for the garage door opener. Now that I have a sidemount opener, I have an extension cable strung across the ceiling for it. I was even advised by the installer to get a new set of outlets installed for the opener.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Claw

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #455 on: August 14, 2019, 05:06:47 PM »
So this happened recently...

7 hours of grinding and fixing dips, cracks, polyaspartic grey coat, flecks, and finished with 3 gallons of clear.

Offline Canuckrz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #456 on: August 14, 2019, 05:11:09 PM »
Nice. Kinda surprised you didn't do the walls first however as now you have to worry about getting paint on the floor, though the terrazzo finish will hide that to some end.

Offline Claw

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #457 on: August 14, 2019, 05:20:22 PM »
Yah, those guys are busy.. a spot opened up in August so I figure I'd take that and then I'll get to the mudding and painting at my own pace.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #458 on: September 10, 2019, 11:17:05 PM »
In the last week of August, when I should've been spending every moment prepping for school, I decided to focus on lesser important things and move the drill press from the work bench.  I slapped it on the old tool cabinet that I inherited from my dad, but the top of that wasn't level or stable.  I had a 10' 2x6 left over from when we built the garage so I figure, lets make something.  We also want to build a new workbench so this was a good opportunity to get acquainted with a planer.  I didn't use a jointer because I was too lazy to drive to my friend's house who had one.  Instead, I whipped up a jig for the table saw.  Anyway, here's the before and after.  It was a simple and fun little project where I didn't need to commit too much time away from the kids.  And I've never used a planer before.  Dang they're cool.

P_20190903_182303_vHDR_Auto
by jean valjean, on Flickr

P_20190903_182344_vHDR_Auto

P_20190907_104410_vHDR_Auto

My wife had a can of Rustoleum Triple Thicc Poly that she used for some of her school projects.  I wanted to use up only things we had around the house so I gave it a shot. 

I give this product a 0/10.  Crap lays on thick.  It's like Elmer's glue and it's quick drying.  It traps air bubbles like crazy and if you make passes to pop them, you'll leave streaks from your brush because the poly is already drying.  It will also leave smaller bubbles when you make passes.  Furthermore, it says on the label not to thin.  What a piece of crap. 

Dan had some encouraging words, reminding me that the top's going to get chewed up anyway, so it doesn't need to be perfect. 

But...  Yes it does.  I'll sand it off another time and try something else. 

Anyway, I had lots of projects for the garage this summer.  This wasn't one of them, but it's the one of the few I had a chance to do. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Rad_Racer

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: 2013 Lexus IS-F
« Reply #459 on: September 11, 2019, 09:05:45 AM »
That turned out awesome. I've been wanting to dabble a bit more in woodworking, too. Finally sold my old cast iron 1950s table saw and bought a new one that can fold down into the corner (and has a lot more useful features). I want to build an XY-table for my router so that I can make things flat without a planer or a jointer. Too many projects; too little time!

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #460 on: September 11, 2019, 12:52:36 PM »
Wait, you’re giving the product a 0/10 for basically being as advertised? Lol. Sounds like it just wasn’t the correct product for the job.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #461 on: September 13, 2019, 07:46:08 PM »
That turned out awesome. I've been wanting to dabble a bit more in woodworking, too. Finally sold my old cast iron 1950s table saw and bought a new one that can fold down into the corner (and has a lot more useful features). I want to build an XY-table for my router so that I can make things flat without a planer or a jointer. Too many projects; too little time!

Yeah, gotta say, I've done a bit of framing, but nothing really in terms of this stuff.  It's pretty satisfying!

Wait, you’re giving the product a 0/10 for basically being as advertised? Lol. Sounds like it just wasn’t the correct product for the job.

Yup.  0/10 recommendation.  Feel free to use it for your projects though.  The job was to have a polyurethane finish.

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #462 on: September 13, 2019, 09:56:27 PM »
Yup.  0/10 recommendation.  Feel free to use it for your projects though.  The job was to have a polyurethane finish.

It’s literally labeled as being “Triple Thick” and you’re complaining about it being too thick..
And I’ll pass, my preference is Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane. If you decide to try it out though, don’t be surprised when it..dries..fast..

Offline Canuckrz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #463 on: September 14, 2019, 04:00:22 AM »
It’s literally labeled as being “Triple Thick” and you’re complaining about it being too thick..
And I’ll pass, my preference is Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane. If you decide to try it out though, don’t be surprised when it..dries..fast..
Hes complaining about it drying too quickly and leaving air bubbles in the process. Not that it is simply too thick, I doubt he would care about the thickness if it didn't have the other detrimental effects. It even says right on the can "advanced self leveling formula" and hes applying it to a flat horizontal surface. Evidently reading is hard way up there on that high horse.

Offline darthekai

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2000 OBS EJ222 +MFT, KTM Duke 390, 1996 Ford E350 SD ambulance, 1990 4runner
« Reply #464 on: September 15, 2019, 10:34:45 PM »
It matters a LOT with this stuff what type of brush you use. I had some varthane nano defence flooring coat stuff and I had to pour it out if the can and spread it around with a drywall putty knif thing to avoid bubbles.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #465 on: September 18, 2019, 06:50:03 PM »
Have a total Qty. of 8 4ft lights in the Garage now, and it's glorious ;D

DSC06148 by Spencer, on Flickr

Offline Claw

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #466 on: September 22, 2019, 12:19:47 AM »
Is that a heater on the lower-right?  What kind is it?  Does it work well?

Offline Canuckrz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #467 on: September 22, 2019, 02:44:02 PM »
Now you just need some paint. I think you'll be surprised just how much of a difference it makes for lighting.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #468 on: September 24, 2019, 09:42:07 AM »
Is that a heater on the lower-right?  What kind is it?  Does it work well?

Hey yes sorry for the late reply. No idea on the brand unfortunately it came build with the house, but all I know is that it's electric, has a dial thermostat, and costs a lot in the winter to run. I usually just crank it 30 minutes before I plan on doing any work in the garage on cold winter days. It works really good, I can be in there in short and a tee shirt in a -30*C winter day. But my Garage is also pretty small (and it's on bottom of my townhouse level so above is the house which keeps things warm too.)

Negative; In winter the moisture coming in causes bad evaporation on the garage door windows.

Now you just need some paint. I think you'll be surprised just how much of a difference it makes for lighting.

I just need to stop procrastinating this haha..

Offline Claw

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #469 on: September 24, 2019, 02:40:47 PM »
Cool, thanks.  I'll have a look at other heating solutions.  I'm in the same sort of building as you are, double garage on the ground floor of a townhouse.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #470 on: September 24, 2019, 02:47:05 PM »
Cool, thanks.  I'll have a look at other heating solutions.  I'm in the same sort of building as you are, double garage on the ground floor of a townhouse.

I think it's actually just an electrical heater that draws in air from the front vent and then expels air outwards also from the front vent, all in one contained unit just put into the drywall (behind that is nothing connecting to it.)

I'll check if I can find a brand name on it, but I think it's very similar to this: https://king-electric.com/product/model-lpw-comfortcraft/

Offline Dylan780

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2003 Legacy GTB
« Reply #471 on: October 22, 2019, 10:41:08 AM »
Unfortunately, at my new place I do not have a garage anymore.

My gramma lives about 4 blocks away from me and she doesn't drive and my grampa passed away earlier this year so she gave me free reign of her garage to turn into my workshop.

My gramps was a woodworker so to say the garage was full of wood etc. is an understatement. I ended up filling a 20 yard bin with scrap wood and old tools.

Anyways, this is what I ended up turning the space into. Besides a very extensive clean up, I also hung up some 4 foot LED lights from Amazon. The space isn't much but it's mine and it is also heated so that is very nice.

I wish I took before pictures as you could barely walk through the garage before.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #472 on: October 22, 2019, 10:44:26 AM »
That looks really nice and organized, a good looking workshop space. Love the screwdrivers and wrenches organized on the wall like that. But I think you forgot to put something in the yard bin??...  (The Oilers flag haha, just kidding though and I know that's from your past garages!)

Offline trevoroni

• beards comin in nice
  • Slow car *fast*
  • Ride: 90 Justy, 92 Loyale, 06 Outback 3.0R, 15 XV Crosstrek
« Reply #473 on: October 22, 2019, 10:49:39 AM »
I ended up filling a 20 yard bin with scrap wood and old tools.

This makes me sad.  :'(

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #474 on: October 22, 2019, 11:03:44 AM »
This makes me sad.  :'(

I had the same reaction :(  But I also understand.  When you're on a mission, you just gotta Marie Kondo it up.