Author Topic: Computer in Safe Mode  (Read 767 times)

Offline cornisha

• WSC Supporter
  • beards comin in nice
  • Ride: 06 STI with a little bit of this and that
Computer in Safe Mode
« on: February 24, 2018, 08:30:23 PM »
Alright computer geeks can we solve this. My computer running Windows 10 was failing on two Windows updates so I figure I start my computer in Safe Mode with Networking and try installing the update. When the computer restarted it asked me for my password. Usually I use a PIN. I entered my password which is my hotmail password and it said incorrect password.

I have tried holding shift and clicking the power button and restarting. In advance settings go to change start up. I choose the admin account and it asked for password which should be the same as my hotmail account. I enter it and again incorrect password. Any idea what to do next?

Thanks

Offline honz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '10 FXT & the Thugeye
Re: Computer in Safe Mode
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 09:54:04 PM »
I am not familiar with Windows 10 accounts linked online. I specifically avoided entering anything along those lines.

I would start by ensuring that your text is what it should be (ie: capslock isn't screwy, langauage/keyboard options are as they should be*). I would do that by typing out the password in the Username field to make sure it's right.

If all that stuff is good, maybe you can use a NT Password Recovery bootdisk to reset your password.

There may be more user friendly options, but those are my typical two gotos.

(*)I've been caught by that a few times, where it the keyboard resets to a Canadian Multilingual keyboard and starts throwing in silly french characters.
entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline cornisha

• WSC Supporter
  • beards comin in nice
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 12:30:34 PM »
When you enter your password it has the little eye to the right so you can see what you typed. I guess i can try the password recovery option. Thanks honz

Offline cornisha

• WSC Supporter
  • beards comin in nice
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 06:48:16 PM »
I thought it was gonna be simple downloading a password recovery tool. Any recommendations? Not planning on buying anything so if this doesn't work I will be formatting the hard drive and start from scratch.

Thanks

Offline honz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '10 FXT & the Thugeye
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 07:28:00 PM »
Again, I'm going based on what I know works in windows versions leading up to 10, but not 10 - especially ones that use an online signon. There may be another mechanism there which I'm not considering.

That said,
I would grab this ISO and burn it to a CD: https://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/   (https://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/cd140201.zip)

Then you boot to that CD, enter the recovery and you can enable disabled accounts and change passwords on those accounts.

If you cannot change your account's password using the NT recovery tool, then you should be able to enable the Administrator (or another) account and set that password.

Also, between resetting your password using this tool and logging in, disconnect your computer from the internet.
entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity