Author Topic: '06 Legacy 2.5i no-start after a few hours... anyone experienced this before?  (Read 1123 times)

Offline JDMMAN

• Patchy Faced
So the vehicle in question is one which was bought new and owned in the family and meticulously maintained.  Has less than 100k kms on it.

Vehicle had a Motormaster Eliminator Ultra Group 35 battery installed about 2 years ago, and everything is in top mechanical condition.  At the same time, the negative terminal was corroded and replaced with a brass terminal that was properly crimped, soldiered and shrink wrapped.

Fast forward to December of this year, about 3 months after the vehicle was given to another family member, the car would not start after being used for a few hours.  Turn the key and nothing.  Car was boosted, made it home and then put in the garage.  The battery has been recharged using a battery charger for AGM batteries.

I checked with a multi-meter, after being charged for over a week and sitting, the battery registered 12.5V or so, the vehicle started and with the vehicle running registered 14.5V.  So looked like everything was working ok.  Over the next few days, the vehicle was used without problems.

Fast forward to today, the vehicle was used in the morning.  And in the afternoon, this no-start issue showed up again.

All the basics have been checked, trunk light from a faulty trunk switch (was ok), dome lights were not left on, parking lights were not left on.  The doors were not ajar.  The glovebox was tight.

The vehicle jump started again, and was able to drive.  I've asked my relatives to put the battery charger back on.

I didn't notice any electrical draws while everything was off when I checked to see if the alternator or battery were faulty.  Some forums had indicated it might be the contact points on the solenoid on the starter, however if that was the problem, jumping the vehicle shouldn't fix it.

In theory if there's no current draw when the vehicle is off (except for the factory alarm, and anything the ECU uses), the battery should be able to easily last 4+ weeks without use (which it was able to do easily in the past).

Anyone have ideas?

Any trusted Subaru techs in Edmonton which I can point my relatives to for a diagnosis?

Offline toytech

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2004 forester
Are you sure the alternator is OK , did you check the voltage with all the electrical accessories on , high beams , defrost , all that ?did you check amperage output with an amp clamp?  hows the belt ? if its slipping it wont charge either .Hows the connector at the alternator they can get corrosion in them . If the battery is dead after driving around , either its toast , its not being charged , or something is drawing a ton of power.
Parasitic draw wont kill a battery when your driving so dont worry about that . Subaru alternators are crap , ask anyone , that`s probably the issue

Offline JDMMAN

• Patchy Faced
Just to update everyone, turns out to be the starter which was failing.... replaced that and now starts with no problems.