Author Topic: 05LGT’S R56 Mini GP (23/50)  (Read 24521 times)

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
Re: 05LGT’s Fibreglass Camaro, second wind?
« Reply #350 on: April 26, 2020, 01:14:40 pm »

Got some exhaust leaks/damage welded courtesy of a friend at Carline Muffler in the NE by Pacific Mall. Definitely recommend them, Cam is a local Auto X guy and very good at working on cars, and a top driver locally and in the US. Also put the new CV boot on this week.

Huge aluminum rad, 25 row oil cooler core (current is 13 row), brake ducting hose and G Loc R16 pads are due to arrive this week.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #351 on: May 11, 2020, 11:30:24 am »
Progress made this weekend on the cooling system. Got the old rad out and decided where to mount the new oil cooler core. One of my lines is long enough, I will have to build a longer second one for the new location and two brackets to mount the cooler as well. It’s going on the drivers side in front of the condenser mounted off the lower rad support bar. Hopefully the oil cooler core being moved from right in front of the power steering cooler will bell the power steering temps as well. I haven’t started on the brake backing plates to attach my new hoses too yet but that will happen next weekend as well likely. Ordering some new brake lines and front and rear pads this week and a third set of front rotors.

The FSB did a number to the old Setrab core:

I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #352 on: May 12, 2020, 08:47:21 am »
Got the old lines off, repositioned the long one and started building the new second line last night. It’s very itshay removing and installing those lines at the adapter plate, after taking 45 mins to remove the first one and completely uckfaying the anodizing I got fed up and cut a 1” wrench in half, only took like 10 mins to get the second line off after that.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #353 on: May 13, 2020, 12:01:58 pm »
Less progress was made last night. The rad took a lot of massaging to get clipped to the condensor. I tried to shake as much itshay out of my condensor as possible. There was a ton of fine sand and a bit especially at the top. I realized I needed a new thermostat housing for the new style thermostat so that’s coming today.

I was originally going to mount the new oil cooler with the fittings facing down until 10secdream and SlowLGT pointed out that could be bad for air in the oil system. After looking at the oil flow (pump, filter, cooler, lifters and bearings in that order) I figured out how to mount the cooler sideways with the feed on the bottom and return on the top.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #354 on: May 13, 2020, 12:41:53 pm »
Did you take that rubber mallet to the radiator? Take off the 3 bolts at the bottom of the ABS module bracket, it'll make installing the fans a lot easier.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #355 on: May 13, 2020, 02:17:21 pm »
Did you take that rubber mallet to the radiator? Take off the 3 bolts at the bottom of the ABS module bracket, it'll make installing the fans a lot easier.

No they rubber mallet was for tapping the top of the condensor lightly with a block of wood to try and knock all the itshay out of it.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #356 on: May 24, 2020, 09:16:17 am »
Ok after buttoning up the cooling system, that’s where the real shitshow started. Went to install the powerstop brake lines, the front factory hardline fittings were approximately twice the torque spec, it was terrifying trying to get those undone with fears of stripping the nut. They really cracked loudly when they let go. The rears were easier except once I put the new rear pads in and put the lines on, torqued them etc they leaked. The right rear line had a bad thread cut into it, and it damaged the flare nut. So I sent away for a set of lines under rock auto warranty, and went ahead and cut the line to replace the flare nut, but when I went to reflare the line, the pin on the flare tool broke off into the line. Real bad luck. Ended up having to cut the line again, drill out the hardened tool, break off a drill bit in it as a new pin, JB weld it in and pray it would work. Luckily it did, but the rear lines leaked still at the oem torque spec. I looked online and a lot of people seem to have the same issue with all sorts of aftermarket rear lines, and one suppliers remedy was to put a brass crush washer between the flare nut and the line. I ended up torquing the LR to 50% over spec and the RR to 25% over spec to get them to stop leaking. Conveniently while I was waiting for warranty lines my other front rotor showed up so I finished up the front brakes as well with another new set of pads and rotors.

I also had my dad help me prototype some brake cooling for the front.

Along the way I learned that this car likely had an oil cooler and brake backing plates and hoses installed at some point before I owned it, as there were signs of them being there.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #357 on: June 24, 2020, 10:18:44 am »
Trackday prep: fill with Shell 91, torque wheels, clean glass and pray it doesn’t fall apart on track.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #358 on: June 24, 2020, 10:29:02 am »
Trackday prep: fill with Shell 91, torque wheels, clean glass and pray it doesn’t fall apart on track.

Are we going to have a little prayer before the event?
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #359 on: June 24, 2020, 10:36:44 am »
Are we going to have a little prayer before the event?

I always pray to Track Jesus, however if he is driving the Crown Vic we should probably pray for Track Jesus.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #360 on: June 25, 2020, 10:05:15 am »
I always pray to Track Jesus, however if he is driving the Crown Vic we should probably pray for Track Jesus.
aaahh haha excited to hear how this turns out. I miss tracks.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #361 on: June 28, 2020, 12:29:17 pm »

Spicy

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #362 on: June 28, 2020, 02:08:53 pm »
Some nice colour there.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #363 on: June 28, 2020, 06:56:43 pm »
Another track day done and the biggest issue this time was trying to be fast on crappy three year old Zestinos. The brake cooling seemed to work seriously well as the rotors didn’t warp at all from heat and never once felt the brakes start dropping off.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #364 on: July 04, 2020, 01:54:41 pm »

Brake fluid got pretty toasty. About 400km street driving and 110km on the track on that fluid.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
Re: 05LGT’s Fibreglass Camaro, TOASTY
« Reply #365 on: July 05, 2020, 02:09:04 pm »
Second track day and I tried to stay out for a full 30 min session but the trans overheated. Probably done for the day now.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #366 on: July 08, 2020, 09:40:52 am »
Trying to justify spending another $2k on trans and diff coolers, I’m just scared of the next weak point. How far do I go with this???

In other news 307100km my truck received a fresh Brotella 0W40 oil change with oem filter, and at 308500km a new 4” FloPro exhaust with muffler (turboback). I also have aftermarket trans cooler lines, thermostats and leaf spring bushings coming in for the truck to keep it going another year or two. Tried real hard to find a new or newer truck but ultimately the market is way too hot in Alberta due to current circumstances and I’m a cheap uckfay.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #367 on: July 08, 2020, 09:50:21 am »
Trying to justify spending another $2k on trans and diff coolers, I’m just scared of the next weak point. How far do I go with this???

In other news 307100km my truck received a fresh Brotella 0W40 oil change with oem filter, and at 308500km a new 4” FloPro exhaust with muffler (turboback). I also have aftermarket trans cooler lines, thermostats and leaf spring bushings coming in for the truck to keep it going another year or two. Tried real hard to find a new or newer truck but ultimately the market is way too hot in Alberta due to current circumstances and I’m a cheap uckfay.

Dang 2k for coolers? Sounds fancy. Lets see.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #368 on: July 08, 2020, 09:56:29 am »

This is the cheapest option https://www.dougrippie.com/corvette-transmission-and-diff-cooler-kit

Does not include mounting or wiring. The next step up is driven off the diff and costs $2500usd.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #369 on: July 08, 2020, 10:15:04 am »
This is the cheapest option https://www.dougrippie.com/corvette-transmission-and-diff-cooler-kit

Does not include mounting or wiring. The next step up is driven off the diff and costs $2500usd.

How much is the mounting and wiring and does the next step up include that?
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #370 on: July 08, 2020, 10:23:16 am »
How much is the mounting and wiring and does the next step up include that?

You have to create your own mounting and wiring. Including hacking up the rear brake ducts and wheel well plastic.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #371 on: July 08, 2020, 10:32:03 am »

For the transmission and rear dif you also need pumps as well which adds to the cost. Seems like pretty typical pricing just more things to mount and another thing that could fail. Still cheaper than new transmission or differential though.

The other option is you just cant run your car as long or as hard.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #372 on: July 08, 2020, 11:06:51 am »

For the transmission and rear dif you also need pumps as well which adds to the cost. Seems like pretty typical pricing just more things to mount and another thing that could fail. Still cheaper than new transmission or differential though.

The other option is you just cant run your car as long or as hard.

You know, for whatever reason I was thinking this car was an automatic so I was assuming Chevy had put a transmission cooler in that you could just swap out with a larger one.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #373 on: July 08, 2020, 03:02:59 pm »
Thankfully it’s not auto tragic.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #374 on: July 08, 2020, 03:10:05 pm »
Thankfully it’s not auto tragic.

I am sure this is a stupid question, but did you check the fluid level in the trans?