Author Topic: WSC Sylvan Lake 2018 Charity BBQ, Edmonton & Calgary - Saturday July 7, 2018  (Read 6451 times)

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Is anyone from Calgary or Edmonton riding shotgun and wants to help me pickup a new car before the Sylvan meet and cruise down.
Detailing Show N' Shine
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
  • Ride: 2016 CWP WRX
Can anyone from Edmonton pick-up the portable BBQ from 10Sec? Please PM 10SecDream If you are able to pick up the BBQ from this prior to Saturday and bring to the BBQ. It's a decent size but will fit in the trunk of a WRX Sedan.  Huge thanks to Hunts_13 for taking care of this.

Please be reminded: Please bring some food for the put-luck BBQ!!

Is anyone able to confirm to bringing Burgers / Hotdogs / Buns? Please comment or PM me.

Update June-20-18: I have two awesome things to giveaway at our BBQ! First being a $25 Giftcard to AutoObessed (Edmonton) It can be used in-store and online! Second being an Audew mobile air pump! (It's this one here http://a.co/5CEA9B4). My plan will be to RAFFLE off these items at the BBQ event! So for each $5.00 donation we collect, you will be entered (1) time and receive a ticket! During the afternoon we will have someone draw two tickets from a hat to chose the winners! I would like to donate the funds raised to the Alberta Children's Hospital on behalf of WSC. You can read all the information here on the website: http://www.childrenshospital.ab.ca/site/PageNavigator/howtohelp/donate_landing

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
Can you guys PM me / comment here and let me know what food item you might be bringing? I figure we'll all bring 'snacks' but I do want to make sure we have the necessities covered.

Offline Bowserific

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2004 WRX
Similar to last year, I'll already be in Sylvan Lake and will likely be Subaru-less... the Matrix only burns 1/4 tank to Sylvan. I've asked the Wife if she wants to participate in this, and if she does I'll PM Kijho to see what I can contribute. If nothing else, I'll come do a creeper walk by with my Son to check out the cars and see if we can spot you guys to say Hello.

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
Updated list: Thanks to everyone that PM'd me. Below are some of the main things I can think of, but last year we had TONS of stuff - So just do like what you did last year and bring something you enjoy / to share please!!

***DON'T FORGET A FOLD UP LAWN / CAMPING CHAIR***

Soda/ Drinks: WRBSTI - Previous years plenty of people brought coolers/ drinks they enjoyed. Please feel free to bring any soda/ water/ etc. whatever you might like. We had an abundance of drinks :)
Burgers: Hunts_13   
Hot Dogs:
Buns: Hunts_13
Condiments: Hunts_13
Other Meats:
Platters Veggies etc.:
Salads:
Casseroles:
Potato Chips: Bowserific / Everyone feel free to bring a specialty snack you enjoy
Corn: Milkpumba,  + Pop / Chips

Offline A Stray Bullet

• Baby Smooth Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Subaru Legacy GTB (rev D)
Hello WSC, I'm new to the forum.

I'm with the Alberta B4/GTB group and we are planning a similar cruise on the same day. Was wondering maybe it might be possible to merge the two events together.
difference being that for the meet in red deer, we usually meet at the Peters for lunch and then head to Sylvan.

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
Hello WSC, I'm new to the forum.

I'm with the Alberta B4/GTB group and we are planning a similar cruise on the same day. Was wondering maybe it might be possible to merge the two events together.
difference being that for the meet in red deer, we usually meet at the Peters for lunch and then head to Sylvan.

Hey, at this point in time the short answer is no, sorry. We've planned this cruise over the past 4 months to have a BBQ lunch at the lake, and going to Peter's would obviate entirely.
Thanks for your interest but at this point in the game it would be too late (2 days prior). Not trying to be rude or anything, it's just that we've held this BBQ together over the past few years and a lot of planning goes into making this happen.

Offline A Stray Bullet

• Baby Smooth Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Subaru Legacy GTB (rev D)
Thanks for the response,

I understand, I would be willing to join, and possibly relay the information of this event to the legacy community and we could bring our own stuff as well if that works. If not maybe it’s best we do our own thing, if that’s alright. I could ask our group if they would be willing to bring their own stuff for the BBQ if that’s ok. I understand it’s a bit late in the game. For me it’s easier to contact via Facebook if you want to talk to me about it.

Offline Markkas

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2000 Version VI Subaru WRX RA
Unfortunately it no longer looks like i'll be able to make it this weekend :( Enjoy the cruise and meet everyone!

Offline rallyman_03

• Vendor
  • Stubbly Faced
  • Professional Lotus Alignment Sitter
  • Ride: 2017 STI, 2007 Subaru WRX (Written Off)
So the weather looks like it won't be perfect, but I assume this is a rain or shine event? Also whats the policy on pets? The other half is asking if we can bring our dogs. If I recall correctly the beach is pet-friendly.

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
So the weather looks like it won't be perfect, but I assume this is a rain or shine event? Also whats the policy on pets? The other half is asking if we can bring our dogs. If I recall correctly the beach is pet-friendly.

Dogs aren't allowed anywhere on the beach or the park/ pathway unfortunately

As the weather gets warmer, please note that dogs are NOT permitted on the grass along Lakeshore Drive or in Centennial Park.
Bylaw 1504/2009 addresses dog offenses and penalties for Dogs at Large, dogs within an area where signage prohibits, dogs within a perimeter of a playground, and dogs not on a leash when required.

Here's a photo from 2016... ;D

File188 by Spencer, on Flickr

Offline rallyman_03

• Vendor
  • Stubbly Faced
Sounds good buddy. Thanks for the clarification!

Offline ShoboatNYC

• Stubbly Faced
  • USA to Edmonton, AB
  • Ride: 2018 Subaru WRX
Unfortunately I will not be able to make It. Something came up...….sucks cause I was looking forward to it. Hopefully I can make the next one! Drive safe guys and enjoy!
IG:@jay_v21
Twitch: Shostradamus

Offline Canuckrz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
I've got 16 hotdogs and buns, a 12 pack of pop, and two bags of cheetos which will be opened immediately so no untcay bails early and takes a whole unopened bag as a parting gift like last year.

Oh and I've got salt, lots of salt.

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
I've got 16 hotdogs and buns, a 12 pack of pop, and two bags of cheetos which will be opened immediately so no untcay bails early and takes a whole unopened bag as a parting gift like last year.

Oh and I've got salt, lots of salt.

;D ;D Perfect!

If anyone has a bluetooth speaker can you bring it please!

Offline SlowLGT

• beards comin in nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
Maybe I missed it, but has anybody mentioned plates and cutlery?

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata
I am pretty sure plates and cutlery are covered but if you have some maybe bring it along?
Detailing Show N' Shine
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
Thank you to everyone who came out yesterday and made the BBQ such an awesome and successful event! The cruise was fun and the food was great! Special thanks to Hunts_13 for bringing out the BBQ (and thanks to 10SecDream for allowing us to use his BBQ again this year), along with the burgers/ buns/ condiments, and to everyone for contributing to the pot-luck! We always end up with such an abundance of food, mainly because so many people end up coming and often people who aren't always on the forums, so we had so much left-overs! I don't really know how we can avoid that, because everyone brings something, and when 25 people come (and some bring their friends), we have tons of food! I think the only wise thing might be to store some of the perishable items in the coolers with ice in future so they don't go bad, then people can bring back home what goes uneaten!

Also a huge thanks for all the contributions to the charity this year, and congratulations to the two winners! :) We raised a total of $145, which is awesome! I'll be making the donation tomorrow on behalf of WSC and post back here when I do!

IMG_9733 by Spencer, on Flickr

IMG_9767 by Spencer, on Flickr

IMG_9781 by Spencer, on Flickr

IMG_9782 by Spencer, on Flickr

IMG_9783 by Spencer, on Flickr

IMG_9783 by Spencer, on Flickr

IMG_9794 by Spencer, on Flickr

IMG_9797 by Spencer, on Flickr

IMG_9805 by Spencer, on Flickr

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
Driver meeting!

Fun was had

And the real reason people went :P

Al-Tessa
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
Dude that GIF is soooo sick hahah!!! Some really great shots Brian, the one with Tim smiling captures the vibe of the day well.

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
Dude that GIF is soooo sick hahah!!! Some really great shots Brian, the one with Tim smiling captures the vibe of the day well.

That GIF looks great on camera, until you realise the frisbee is right in your face XD

Thank you :D
Al-Tessa
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline SlowLGT

• beards comin in nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
Feeling special because there are three photos of me with my hands in the pockets.

Offline rallyman_03

• Vendor
  • Stubbly Faced

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
Funds have been submitted! (Sorry I'm a few days slow on getting this in).

I'm very proud to be part of WSC events where we contribute to charities such as this. The receipt doesn't show but within the Children's Hospital I've requested the funds are allocated to Children's Cancer Technology (I discussed during the time as we drew the names of prize winners.) There's also an 'event' section in the submission that you can explain where the donation comes from. I wrote within there that this is on behalf of the Western Subaru Club and was raised through our Summer BBQ! If I get any more info/ emails I'll post them here (like I did with Veteran's Food Drive)!! 

Thanks again to everyone for making this such an awesome event, and a super fun afternoon!!

Offline hunts_13

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2016 WRX
IMG_3628 by sheldon hunt, on Flickr

subie by sheldon hunt, on Flickr

3 by sheldon hunt, on Flickr

subie by sheldon hunt, on Flickr

Before Ice Cream

before by sheldon hunt, on Flickr

AFter Ice Cream
happy by sheldon hunt, on Flickr

gabe by sheldon hunt, on Flickr