Author Topic: Suggestions for day trips near Montréal (by train or bus)  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2018 WRX Sport CVT (CBS)
Suggestions for day trips near Montréal (by train or bus)
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:31:39 pm »
Bonjour!

So as chance would have it, there's a very good likelihood my wife and I'll be in Montréal at the end of May / beginning of June.

Does anyone have any suggestions for places that are a couple of hours of train ride or bus ride off the island of Montréal worth visiting, either for their scenery, or for historical value, or just because it's a great place to visit?  I'm thinking day trips here, places where there's no need to stay overnight.

We've already been to Québec City, and we'll be coming in from Ottawa.  We'll be within walking distance to Gare Centrale (VIA Rail station).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Because... hoodscoop.  :P

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
Re: Suggestions for day trips near Montréal (by train or bus)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 08:21:00 am »
If you're a foodie (or just want to try some good food and see the town) Local Montreal food tours (http://localmontrealtours.com/) is fantastic. I did the old Montreal tour last time I was there and wish I had time to do the Mile End tour. You get to experience some awesome local restaurants as well as learn about the city and history as you walk around.

Also, to get around Montreal, the Bixi system is great (if you don't mind riding bikes) for i think it was $5 you get a day pass that lets you take an unlimited number of 30 minute trips. That city is so bike and pedestrian friendly that I never felt worried about my safety. It was great, sure beats renting a car or trying to take transit.
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 01:55:21 pm »
If you're a foodie (or just want to try some good food and see the town) Local Montreal food tours (http://localmontrealtours.com/) is fantastic. I did the old Montreal tour last time I was there and wish I had time to do the Mile End tour. You get to experience some awesome local restaurants as well as learn about the city and history as you walk around.

Also, to get around Montreal, the Bixi system is great (if you don't mind riding bikes) for i think it was $5 you get a day pass that lets you take an unlimited number of 30 minute trips. That city is so bike and pedestrian friendly that I never felt worried about my safety. It was great, sure beats renting a car or trying to take transit.

Thanks - we've been out and about the city proper and some of its boroughs (including the old city), but I was more thinking of places to visit off-island. :)

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 04:22:25 pm »
Tremblant? You can probably catch a bus up there for the day. Nice views, hiking, mountain biking and depending on whats going on, there may be some racing going on at Le Circuit Mont Tremblant. Or rent a car for the 2 hour drive.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 11:42:29 pm »
Tremblant? You can probably catch a bus up there for the day. Nice views, hiking, mountain biking and depending on whats going on, there may be some racing going on at Le Circuit Mont Tremblant. Or rent a car for the 2 hour drive.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'm a little hesitant to rent a vehicle in Montréal (I feel that traffic & drivers are a little bit crazy there), but the bus option looks to be adequate for our needs.  ;)

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 10:26:45 am »
Thanks for the suggestion - I'm a little hesitant to rent a vehicle in Montréal (I feel that traffic & drivers are a little bit crazy there), but the bus option looks to be adequate for our needs.  ;)

We used Car2Go without any issues, I was driving around during F1 weekend.  Parking on the other hand sucked that weekend.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 01:24:51 pm »
Unfortunately, due to timing issues, my wife won't be joining me, and so I'll only be flying in and out of Ottawa this trip.   Nonetheless, thanks all for the suggestions.  I'll save these for our next Montreal trip.   O0