Author Topic: Re: New BS - RaceCar? Four ring circus - 2019 Season part 2  (Read 6028 times)

Offline sti-tom

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018RS3, 1991 miata
Re: New BS - RaceCar? Four ring circus - 2019 Season part 2
« on: March 05, 2018, 03:10:14 pm »
After close to 10 years of owning, what will likely be the favorite car of my life it was time to say goodbye to G0ZILLA. I wasn't racing it as much as I used too, and the cost and headache of Hoosiers was getting out of hand. I also always had to have a separate car as a daily driver (mostly STIs). I did pickup an E63S wagon this summer and sold the STI with the plan to sell the GTR as well and try to pick up a new mustang GT to campaign for racing in 2018.

It had Carbon Ceramics on it and was a total beast. It also had 80k kms which really started to weigh on me for future repairs and continuing depreciation. My plans changed for racing in 2018, as I made a deal with a friend in Calgary to drive his Camaro SS 1LE for the year. This meant I would be doing a lot of 1 day trips back and forth to Calgary, so putting 600kms in a day, multiple times on a close to 600hp 4600lb wagon did not seem like a great idea.  I found myself scared to drive the wagon for fear of it breaking down on me, so after getting a good trade in value from Mercedes I sold it on Kijiji for a little more that weekend (after 3.5 months). It ended up costing me a little over a grand a month, which is a fair bit better than what an actual lease would have been on one of these. I figured I should get something small that could squeeze 5 people in if needed, but more fun to drive than the STI. I wanted the best of GTR and STi combined into 1 car. I figured out what I wanted and put in an order. It was supposed to take about 4.5 months to get here. I really pushed hard in trying to sell the GTR before winter hit, but had a hard time selling it. No one wanted to touch one with all the mods and the track history it had. I had one serious offer in the fall from a gut in Calgary. For itshays and giggles I asked the dealership to give me a rough trade in price to make sure I didn't let it go for too cheap. They came back with a really fair price compared to the crap offers I had gotten, so I turned down that the offer from Calgary and took the car off of Kijiji.

Fast forward to early February and I find out my car will be arriving over a month early. Holy crap, now I had to get on putting the GTR back to stock to trade it in. It took me a lot of time and effort, but I got everything done myself except the downpipes and 3m removed. Zippy's took care of the Downpipes and an alignment and I got everything flashed back to stock without any hiccups luckily. The Tint Studio took off my full 3m wrap job to expose the pristine paint underneath. I trailer-ed it into the dealership scared that they would rag on the brakes and tires and try and screw me down on price. He just did a once around the car and came back with a very close offer to what they had told me previously by email without actually seeing the car at all. It was more than I expected so I was happy to accept it. We did up the paperwork and I unloaded the car by myself and parked it around the front of the dealership. As I left I had to stop and snap a pic of the 2 cars together.

A shot from the dealers delivery area

I loaded up the new beast and took it over to the Tint Studio to get a full wrap job/tint and windshield film put on.

I also got frcefed to ceramic coat the car and wheels.

A shot at work

The winters are Neuspeed RSe10 18x8.5 +45 with P235/40R18 Hankook Winter I*cepts. They are V-rated and I got a wicked deal from TalonTire on them. They had the cheapest price to start plus I was able to use my AutoX contingency money & a mail in rebate to get them down under $700. Need to get some black lugs as the little black plastic covers are too tight to fight into the holes of the Neuspeed wheels.

Plans include:
-Already have the same Neuspeed wheels in matte black for AutoX. The fronts are 18x8.5 +45 and Rear 18x8.0 +45. Will need some 5mm spacers for the rear as stock was +42. Want to confirm fitment before ordering the spacers and lugbolts.
-Need to get some Bridgestone RE-71Rs - P265/35R18 FR & P245/40R18 RR from Costco once the spring rebate is available.
-Potentially get a front or rear sway bar. Likely rear, but would like to hear some feedback on them first.

This car has been classed in BS which is the same as the STi is. There will be a lot of class shuffling for 2019, including moving the STi/Focus RS/Evo down to DS and letting some ponycars (GT350, Camaro SS 1LE) into BS. I think this car has a good chance in BS and am very happy it didn't get sent into SS like the TTRS did. I will likely run as many ASA events with it as I can, and then likely run it full time in 2019.

Offline sti-tom

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: New BS - RaceCar? Four ring circus
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 03:10:32 pm »
Had to stop by the dealership a week after taking my new car home and happened to see my old car there.

Looks like they just slapped a plate and a nasty Jim Pattison badge on the car and threw it up for sale for about $20K less than it cost brand new. We shall see how long it takes to sell  :sarcasm:

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 03:13:47 pm »
Nice! Congrats, love the wheels & the color!

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 04:49:33 pm »
Goddamn am I jealous. I love the RS3.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 05:03:44 pm »
Congrats on the purchase, glad it worked out.  I really like the RS3.  Good choice coming from the E63, I think that the Audi is a solid commuter, and should be fun to try out in autocross.

Would enjoy to see that in BS up against the M2.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 06:21:24 pm »
Love it. Please take me for a ride along. I promise not to itshay my pants.

Offline wrxsti15

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: STI'15 - Airboy Tuned
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 08:11:35 pm »
Love the WRB color :p

Just kidding... Great car..  post some pictures of interior...
Make us more jealous :D

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 09:56:08 pm »
Is that the same Jim Pattison that's one of the richest persons in Canada?  It just seems so arrogant to put your name on every car on your lot.  Did you take the badge off the RS3? 

Congrats btw.  Mega jealous
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 01:27:48 am »
:thumbup:
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline sti-tom

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 09:47:39 am »
Is that the same Jim Pattison that's one of the richest persons in Canada?  It just seems so arrogant to put your name on every car on your lot.  Did you take the badge off the RS3? 

Congrats btw.  Mega jealous
Same rich prick yes. Tint Studio removed it before wrapping the trunk. That dealer used to put them on the front of cars as well. I assume they had enough customers complain about it, that they stopped.

Offline Gargoyle

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: soul crushingly stock 2010 WRX
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 10:50:58 am »
did you say the wheels on the rs3 are wider in the front? that's a little odd, unless you mistyped, sweet car though, i'd love to pick one of those up, maybe  i could get a ride? :P

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 11:58:12 am »
did you say the wheels on the rs3 are wider in the front? that's a little odd, unless you mistyped, sweet car though, i'd love to pick one of those up, maybe  i could get a ride? :P

Reverse stagger, yep. It's a thing.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 12:38:07 pm »
The RS3 is a cool car! Interesting. Very quirky.

If there is one thing i like about the RS3 the most, its the burble that I5 makes! Hot diggetty!

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 12:40:52 pm »
What a great choice! Congrats!

Reverse stagger, yep. It's a thing.

This is awesome!

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Lexus IS-F
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 01:48:04 pm »
I don't think I could have given up the E63S  ;D

Saw an RS3 yesterday and definitely gave it a good stare. Pretty awesome little monsters.

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 11:11:18 pm »
Did the Merc give you any trouble or were you just afraid of repair costs?

Offline sti-tom

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 02:28:11 pm »
Did the Merc give you any trouble or were you just afraid of repair costs?
It beeped at me two different times while reversing that the park brake was on, but it never actually was. It also lunged forward very dramatically once for no reason as I was coasting to a red light. I maybe had 2-3% throttle and it just jumped forward on me. Luckily I had a good sized gap to the car in front of me. It never happened again, but it was the most off putting feeling I've ever had driving. Felt like I was in a Stephen King movie. Other than that, with it having 80k km already, it seemed like if I put another 20k a year on it for a couple years if would keep depreciating $15k-$20k a year like it did for it's first 4 years. It just seemed to make a lot more sense to have a car that will depreciate a lot less than that plus have full warranty so I can really enjoy driving it  >:D.

Offline sti-tom

• Beards Comin in Nice
New BS - RaceCar? Four ring circus - Summer Wheels
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 12:43:28 pm »
I have started to do a few mods recently. I ordered a few parts from Winn Autosports.

The front blacked out rings look great. (Thanks to frcdfed for swapping them while I was on the phone lol)

I did the rear as well, but have ordered the RS3 and will wait till I have both on.

I also got some paddle extenders. They are a nice setup that clamps the whole paddle so it won't damage it. A lot of other ones use set screws or 3m tape which seems pretty archaic.

They feel a lot better, I just wish they stuck out a little more.

With some decent weather this Saturday I decided to wash the car and put my stock summer tires on (put the winters back on next day - yay Alberta).

I filled up the tank, left the floor mats and all the junk in the trunk and weighed it up. It ended up pretty much exactly 1,000lbs less than the E63S. I am hoping to drop a good 90lbs for AutoX. I will hopefully weigh it up next weekend with my racing wheels a quarter tank of gas, and all loose items removed.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
Re: New BS - RaceCar? Four ring circus - Summer Wheels
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 12:52:46 pm »
Wow. That left % and cross weight %.

Racekar indeed.

^Click^

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 01:14:48 pm »
Paddle extenders? Welcome to ST class

Offline sti-tom

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 03:02:21 pm »
Paddle extenders? Welcome to ST class
I read the rules to say they are allowed.

13.2E Alternate shift knobs or paddles are allowed. - These are just different paddles that happened to be bolted together.

If you have any other info let me know so I can look into it. It makes no sense to me that someone could custom make whatever shape and size of paddle imaginable but you can't create a bigger paddle out of the existing one.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 03:21:44 pm »
Och, Tom. Its like fishing with a hand grenade. All too easy.

I was just bullshitting using the suspension hole position rule as a basis. The only way I'll beat you is by using a weenie protest or by pouring coke in your gas tank.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 03:44:15 pm »
Almost perfect 50% cross weight from the factory?

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 04:07:38 pm »
Almost perfect 50% cross weight from the factory?
]

THAT'S WHAT I WAS SAYING wtf?!?!

^Click^

Offline sti-tom

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 04:19:09 pm »
Och, Tom. Its like fishing with a hand grenade. All too easy.

I was just bullshitting using the suspension hole position rule as a basis. The only way I'll beat you is by using a weenie protest or by pouring coke in your gas tank.
I don't care too much about locals complaining, I just want to make sure I never have to deal with something unexpected popping up in the states to screw me over down the road. I actually just realized recently that I broke the rules a fair number of times with my STi by taking out the headrests. No one ever said anything, but the rules say you can only reverse them not remove them.