Author Topic: Hello from Edmonton Southside!  (Read 1971 times)

Offline JJx

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: sti swapped/fxt
Hello from Edmonton Southside!
« on: March 11, 2018, 02:22:40 pm »
Not new to Subaru's but new to this forum!
After a long while of searching finally bought a manual fxt, it replaced a black 05 obxt which I am certainly missing. The forester is a bit rough, and it's timing belt is 2 years and 20k overdue so I plan to give that attention before I start driving it. I'm in uni Rn but I'm planning on tackling it one of these weekends if anybody has some tips!

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
Re: Hello from Edmonton Southside!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 03:03:57 pm »
Use vice trips to hold the driver side cam gears from moving. But don't use too much pressure, because you risk breaking the plastic cam gear.

Offline StreetsTheWay

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad || 2007 WRX STi || 2002 WRX Wagon
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 05:49:39 pm »
Cam Lock Tool
Crankshaft Socket
These are on the pricey end, but if you sub these out for a similar tool to something of this effect, it makes life way easier.
Replacing the water pump and thermostat at this time is usually debatable but as a precautionary measure I just did it anyways.
Following all directions and torque specs (including properly priming the tensioner which most people seem to forget to do) is very important.

I just did 4 timing + water pump replacements over the past couple of weeks in my garage. If you want a hand & a place with the tools for the job, shoot me a PM!

Offline JJx

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 06:39:09 pm »
Thanks for all the tips! I've been reading up and was likely going to order that company 23 cam holder from Amazon. I was definitely going to do the water pump while was there but I didn't think of the thermostat. The crank shaft socket didn't seem necessary as it seemed like something one could get around. I may just take you up on that  very generous offer as even though I have most of the tools necessary experience is something I'm very much lacking.

Offline StreetsTheWay

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 06:49:55 pm »
Not gonna lie, its kinda fun doing timing jobs. :P
The crank socket really helps with setting the new belt. My dad grabbed all the tools when we did his '11 STi, and we kind of realized after the fact that the AVCS tool and other large tools are really not necessary. Just the cam lock and a crank socket. Cam lock comes with a handy spacer for single and dual AVCS which is kinda nice for versatility between DOHC layouts between the generations.

If you want the tools for your self you can certainly order them, but If you want to come by my place to do the work, I've already got them.
Either way, just shoot me a PM and we can make some arrangement.

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 Saab 9-2x 2.5i 5MT, 2008 Jeep Patriot North 5MT (For Sale), 2013 Acura MDX
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 01:42:02 pm »
Welcome!

I borrowed a crank tool from someone on the forum here. Makes it almost too easy. Also used the starter trick to loosen it, which we don't need to argue about here but you'll see plenty of opinions on that method.

Keep your old belts because you can use them to hold stuff in place without wrecking new ones.

What are you taking at the U?

Offline JJx

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 04:18:53 pm »
Thanks for the tip, it looks like streetstheway is going to help me out this so I should be able to avoid the starter method controversy. I'm currently taking first year engineering right now. Nice saabaru btw, I have bit of a soft spot for anything with a saab badge as long as it's not a gm ;)

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 Saab 9-2x 2.5i 5MT, 2008 Jeep Patriot North 5MT (For Sale), 2013 Acura MDX
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 09:45:17 am »
Aww shucks. Cool, I'm just finishing my PhD in mechanical engineering. Enjoy the grind  ;)

Offline JJx

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 11:33:56 am »
I have a strong lean towards mechanical, but am still undecided, any tips about choosing my specialization?

Offline JJx

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 11:35:59 am »
Got the timing belt done this weekend thanks to amazing help from streetstheway!

Offline StreetsTheWay

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 02:52:04 pm »
No worries, I had a good time!
If you want, I think you should post up some pictures and do a bit of a tiny write up on some of the stuff we ran into for anyone else out there looking for information -->
1. Current mileage & condition of components we removed (because I know of a number of people that asked when should I really do my timing belt replacement, this should help provide some perspective if you can compare a bunch of components at various mileages from different vehicles)
2. The replacement kit you ended up getting & the parts inside. (Specifically the one wrong small idler pulley, I can't get over that! Haha ::))

I suppose I could have done the same thing too, but I didn't think about it until we did yours yesterday.  :P

Offline JJx

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 10:27:54 am »
That's probably a good idea, as some of the components didn't really require replacement and others definitely did. I was looking at unboxing videos of contitech kits and they didn't show the idler  :-\ , which is definitely needed in the replacement.
Since I don't have any pictures of the procedure I could post up pictures of the components and their conditions, as mine certainly had been on there a bit longer than the usual which could provide some insight on what needs to be done.

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 11:46:59 am »
I have a strong lean towards mechanical, but am still undecided, any tips about choosing my specialization?

MecE is great. Would recommend. Especially if you're interested in HVAC systems (I jest, but not really).

Go to every first year night you can (though maybe it's a bit late?), because you'll be wined and dined (from free pizza to free faculty club dinners). I nearly ended up in MatE because I got to meet some really interesting profs and industry reps.

In the end, don't stress too much about it, because your undergrad specialization (as long as it doesn't limit you coughEngPhyscough) won't be enough specialization for your entire career; you'll need to learn other skills along the way from working or grad studies to really specialize. 

Offline JJx

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 09:22:28 am »
Funny to mention that as I used to work sheet metal, and all we did was HVAC  ;D

I've gone to more than a few, mining was able to present a pretty good offer with the free beer at their event, but realistically I don't think I would like the work... MecE or electrical are probably still my main choices.

We'll have to see if I like school enough first before I'll get that far, did you end up doing Coop?

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 01:37:44 pm »
We'll have to see if I like school enough first before I'll get that far, did you end up doing Coop?

I did. Great idea, I'd suggest trying out as many different options as possible. I did a research term, a construction management job, and a pipeline integrity job. All were valuable in learning what I do/don't like.

Pet peeve is people going into co-op to get the job at the place their parents work, for 3 terms in a row. Layoffs were not a happy time for them.

Offline JJx

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 11:15:49 am »
So far I'm not sure I like the amount of hw but the classes are more interesting than high school. I guess that's the main thing about coop; it'll help you find what you do and don't like.

Haha neither of my parents are anywhere near the engineering field.