Author Topic: GC8 Coilovers vs. Springs  (Read 979 times)

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
GC8 Coilovers vs. Springs
« on: March 13, 2018, 04:09:25 pm »
I recently purchased another GC8 as a project. It currently has some sort of coilovers installed on it, but they're honestly just way too stiff for daily driving, and I would much prefer something along the lines of what I had on my old STI. My old STI had these "rare" versions of STI pinks like the ones found here: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/3376227-post1512.html

I plan on daily-ing the vehicle in all seasons.
I do quite a few road trips with my cars, so I want it to be somewhat comfortable.
I want to track/autocross this car.
I want about a 1 inch drop on height from stock.

My question to you all is which route would you go - Coilovers or springs?

I was offered stock STI pink suspension with ~70,000 km on it for $100. Should I just roll with this and order lowering springs? If so, do any of you recommend any specific brand of lowering spring?

I have never had to really deal with suspension, so I don't really know what's best (or how to install new springs yet), but I want to learn.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: GC8 Coilovers vs. Springs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 04:17:05 pm »
Feel free to respond on this thread, or my project thread here: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=55856.25

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:19:51 pm »
The one major advantage to coilovers is that you can adjust the height. 

Some aftermarket struts have adjustable height perches as well, but they're just not as convenient. 

I think the quality of $100 STI struts + whatever springs you go for would be much better than an equivalently priced coilover. 

I don't know what springs GC's go for, but I do know that TEIN springs are terrible on GD's. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 11:52:53 pm »
My standard "what do I do with my suspension" reply that nobody seems to care about...
Please read Dennis Grant's autocross to win, specifically shocks, buying shocks, suspension, alignment http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets5.html
Then, watch the first few videso in "how shocks works" series on Suspension Truth Youtube channel. All of your questions are answered with data and detailed explanations there. What makes a setup feel stiff? Stiff = sportier/faster lap times? What spring rates do I choose? Stiffer front or stiffer rear? Is it possible to have comfort and fun in one package? 48 way adjustable > 32 way adjustable>>non adjustable? Without answers to these questions, it's all throwing darts while blindfolded.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 10:02:33 am »
The one major advantage to coilovers is that you can adjust the height. 

Some aftermarket struts have adjustable height perches as well, but they're just not as convenient. 

I think the quality of $100 STI struts + whatever springs you go for would be much better than an equivalently priced coilover. 

I don't know what springs GC's go for, but I do know that TEIN springs are terrible on GD's.

I agree fully with that you're saying. Thanks for your input.

My standard "what do I do with my suspension" reply that nobody seems to care about...
Please read Dennis Grant's autocross to win, specifically shocks, buying shocks, suspension, alignment http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets5.html
Then, watch the first few videso in "how shocks works" series on Suspension Truth Youtube channel. All of your questions are answered with data and detailed explanations there. What makes a setup feel stiff? Stiff = sportier/faster lap times? What spring rates do I choose? Stiffer front or stiffer rear? Is it possible to have comfort and fun in one package? 48 way adjustable > 32 way adjustable>>non adjustable? Without answers to these questions, it's all throwing darts while blindfolded.

Alright, i'll read up on that and probably attempt to get through some videos. Thanks for the info!