Author Topic: Hey guys  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Limey

• Baby Faced
  • Ride: 04 srt4, 07 bmw x5
Hey guys
« on: March 20, 2018, 11:45:34 pm »
Just wanted to say hello. My names Richard and the only experience I have with subbies is driving the father in laws 2011 STI hatch. I still have my built 04 SRT4 that’s a weekend toy so not new to modding.

The reason I joined here is I’m wanting to get a Subaru STI and love the hatch. I have found one at rally Subaru and it’s WRB which is my all time fav colour. I’m a little hesitant in pulling the plug on it as they want $26k for it. 135k on it and has a brand new motor. Other than that the car is looks fantastic. What should I expect to pay for a stock 2011 Sti sports tech with a brand new motor? Any advice would be appreciated.

Looking forward to attending a few meets and meeting a couple of you guys once I finally pick one up.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
Re: Hey guys
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 08:47:47 am »
Welcome!

Subaru motors can lunch ringlands or rod bearings if not taken care of appropriately. Sad to say it but there are people out there they don't have much in the way of mechanical sympathy especially
when given the keys to a 300HP AWD funbox.

Nevertheless, 26K for a 2011 isn't exactly too much money, considering it's come from a dealer. It would be priced 20K and up if sold privately IMO. If you can find out if the dealer replaced the motor, that means it has
warranty on it for the next 60K and would give me a little more peace of mind. And, since you're not new to turbo motors, this would be up your alley in terms of being looked after.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:58:46 am »
Welcome!

Subaru motors can lunch ringlands or rod bearings if not taken care of appropriately. Sad to say it but there are people out there they don't have much in the way of mechanical sympathy especially
when given the keys to a 300HP AWD funbox.

warranty on it for the next 60K

Inquire with dealer about this warranty. Scott Subaru only offered 1 year/10 000km on mine, which was less than factory so it stayed with that (1.5 years left).

Everything else is completely correct. Prices of 2011-2014 sti vary a ton. I have seen any where from 17 500 to 35 000+ lately. At 26000 I believe that is fair market value right now if the condition is great and there is proof of engine replacement. There is also no shame in trying to haggle a bit either.

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2002 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 11:18:31 am »
Welcome Richard!

As diamondedge and and mason already pointed out, confirm what type of new engine was installed (stock? modded?), who did the install, and if the dealership is willing to extend warranty on it. As far as price goes, I would say from a dealership this is in the right ballpark for a sport-tech, considering a new engine has been installed and everything else is in excellent condition.

Enough research on here and you will discover a wealth of knowledge on how to *hopefully* maintain and extend the life of the engine - oil changes more regular than dealer spec, checking oil at fill-ups, performance mods mean tune, general maintenance, etc. I'm sure with your experience this doesn't come as a surprise though.

Good luck in your hunt for an 11-14 hatch, they are definitely on the harder side to find.
2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017
2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatchback - Sold 01/04/2022

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread

Offline Limey

• Baby Faced
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 01:56:38 pm »
Thanks for the reply’s, I found out the new engine was installed by the dealer and it comes with a 1yr/20km warranty which helps. They also fixed the 2 cracks in the front bumper and had 2 of the wheels refurbished as they had a chunk missing out of one. I’m going to go test drive it on Friday and make an offer of $25k and see if they bite. Wish me luck.  ^-^

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 02:54:01 pm »
Welcome!

Offline Limey

• Baby Faced
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 08:15:00 pm »
Well looks like I need to keep looking for my WRB hatch. They sold it on me tonight. Guess it wasn’t meant to be  >:(

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 09:15:41 pm »
Welcome!
That’s tough luck right there. Be patient and something good will come along; it took me a few months and a lot of test drives/failed offers before I found mine.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 08:53:50 am »
Welcome! Today's the day! Let us know what you decide. But Player One is right. Stay patient. If this isn't the one, don't force it to happen.  Plenty of fish in the sea.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Limey

• Baby Faced
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 09:42:46 am »
Welcome! Today's the day! Let us know what you decide. But Player One is right. Stay patient. If this isn't the one, don't force it to happen.  Plenty of fish in the sea.

It was sold last night, guess some guy came in and bought a 2002 Wrx then came back to pick it up and saw the blue STI and wanted that instead. So I lost out as I was going down this am to drive it and hopefully pick it up. I’ll just wait a little longer now and keep searching for one

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 10:45:40 am »
It was sold last night, guess some guy came in and bought a 2002 Wrx then came back to pick it up and saw the blue STI and wanted that instead. So I lost out as I was going down this am to drive it and hopefully pick it up. I’ll just wait a little longer now and keep searching for one

You haven't lost anything.  That car was junk.

I don't actually know, I'm just trying to help you feel better

Offline Limey

• Baby Faced
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 07:36:45 pm »
Well I ended up needing a car sooner than later as my x5 needed a total valve seal replacement it turns out. Not worth putting anymore money into it so I went and looked at a few more STI’s but couldn’t pull the trigger. 1 has a small knock and other 2 were showing signs of rust. So I contacted my buddy at Volvo and ended up buying a 2014 Volvo S60 R-design with the polestar upgrade. It was fun talking to some of you and thanks for the info and telling me to wait. I drove the car for the afternoon and it just felt better power wise and build wise. Don’t have to worry about rust and the ringlands from now on plus Volvo will warranty all my aftermarket parts If they install them which is nice .   It was nice talking to some of you and making me feel welcome. Hope to meet some of you at the track. All the best

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 07:41:40 pm »
Well I ended up needing a car sooner than later as my x5 needed a total valve seal replacement it turns out. Not worth putting anymore money into it so I went and looked at a few more STI’s but couldn’t pull the trigger. 1 has a small knock and other 2 were showing signs of rust. So I contacted my buddy at Volvo and ended up buying a 2014 Volvo S60 R-design with the polestar upgrade. It was fun talking to some of you and thanks for the info and telling me to wait. I drove the car for the afternoon and it just felt better power wise and build wise. Don’t have to worry about rust and the ringlands from now on plus Volvo will warranty all my aftermarket parts If they install them which is nice .   It was nice talking to some of you and making me feel welcome. Hope to meet some of you at the track. All the best

Hey, you can still be a part of the club :D

Non-Subaru Projects

People here just won't let your pictures go in the calendar.  Because they're a bunch of narrowminded-stuck up snobs.  But we like to see build threads.

Congrats on the Polestar.  I'm mighty jealous!

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 09:29:21 pm »
Those T6 engines with a polestar tune are like little rockets. You will also fall in love with those R design seats on road trips. Great buy!