Author Topic: New JDM owner - Hello from Winnipeg!  (Read 1512 times)

Offline giiyanman

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK
New JDM owner - Hello from Winnipeg!
« on: April 09, 2018, 07:37:30 pm »
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a 2001 Legacy B4 RSK from a local in Kijiji. I looove how it feels and drives. Although there is that VOD between the turbos, I savor that short sweet moment when I get buried to the driver's seat. 

However I think I may have purchased a car with a potential nightmare of issues. I'd like to get it properly checked out by a reputable mechanic, do you guys have any recommendations in Winnipeg?

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Re: New JDM owner - Hello from Winnipeg!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:47:23 pm »
Welcome and congrats on the car!  How many RPM's is your VOD until the second turbo hits?  What kind of issues do you think you have? 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline giiyanman

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 07:08:37 pm »
Let me pull out my list here... lol

1) First is that there is a pinhole leak on top of the plastic radiator cover. Previous owner covered it with some black plaster but even that is starting to come off. It was having engine temp issues too when I am idling or at a red light where the engine temperature goes up and no heat comes from the heater vents: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13F34EcoWVZPetaSYD8Ch5RnmQ0dgpZlg
It goes back down when I start running. It seemed to be fixed now that I topped up the radiator and the overflow container and burped the system. I think it still needs more burping since I can still hear a liquid sloshing sound everytime I hit the accelerator from beyond the dash.

2) The belts squeal during a cold start in the morning. Loose belts?

3) Just recently it started running roughly on cold starts too. Like some of the cylinders are not firing, causing the engine and consequently the car to shake. It resolves itself when I rev it up to higher rpms, and at least do not persist when the car finally reaches running temps.

4) My tires went flat on my 3rd day of owning this baby. Called CAA and the guy seemed to know about Subarus and how you turn it to FWD when you have a donut on. However we tried doing it with my fuse box but the FWD light wont come on. We noticed the fuse receptacle for the FWD fuse was very loose and seemed to be missing the electrical contacts.

Other than the above issues, everything else is just par for the course on a grade 3.5C jdm car. Other than the cigarette smell in the cabin and during recirculation mode, nothing else bothers me too much.

I was weary on pushing it because of the issues mentioned above, but did so anyways earlier today lol I think I'm hitting the VOD between 3.5k to 4.5k or early 5k, then the 2nd turbo hits. Is this normal?

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 07:15:15 pm »
4) My tires went flat on my 3rd day of owning this baby. Called CAA and the guy seemed to know about Subarus and how you turn it to FWD when you have a donut on. However we tried doing it with my fuse box but the FWD light wont come on. We noticed the fuse receptacle for the FWD fuse was very loose and seemed to be missing the electrical contacts.

I uh.. haven't heard of this before personally. Is this actually a thing? Haha..  Get a flatbed tow truck only IMO!

Also, my GC8 belts always squealed for a second or two during very cold starts or very rainy days after sitting out for some time.

Offline giiyanman

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 07:29:53 pm »
I uh.. haven't heard of this before personally. Is this actually a thing? Haha..  Get a flatbed tow truck only IMO!

Also, my GC8 belts always squealed for a second or two during very cold starts or very rainy days after sitting out for some time.

Yes lol I checked the original Japanese manuals that came with the car and its actually there as a procedure when you change to donuts!

So squealing is normal for EJ20s? I feel like that might be connected to the rough start issue as the belts might be slipping off the alternator..