Author Topic: JDM bugeye STI clutch  (Read 970 times)

Offline forestergreg

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 98 forester
JDM bugeye STI clutch
« on: March 24, 2018, 07:05:17 pm »
Just wondering if anyone knows where to get a clutch kit for an 02 STI it's a 6MT. Would an 04 clutch STI kit work?

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '10 FXT & the (late) Thugeye
Re: JDM bugeye STI clutch
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 01:12:08 am »
Yep, you may need to use a flywheel from a 2L, but the 04 STI clutch should work.
I used an ACT SB10-HDSS ... I really like it and it's been working fanastic for many years. I used an Exedy before this ("stage 1 HD" or whatever it was) and it lasted 6 months - which sucks assay because the 6mt is huge, heavy, and really annoying to take out. My driving style didn't change between them, maybe it wasn't making full contact, maybe something was off, who knows.

If you're doing it yourself, I have a transmission mount attachment for my jack you can borrow (or buy if you want).
entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline forestergreg

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 08:02:10 am »
Hoping to not have to do it soon, I cooked my clutch pretty good yesterday being an idiot so I figured I'd start pricing one out lol. Thanks for the info!!

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Canyon & 2001 STI
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 08:45:05 am »
Yep, you may need to use a flywheel from a 2L, but the 04 STI clutch should work.

I thought the WRX/2L flywheel will not work with the 6MT. At least everything I've read says it will not.

I bought a 04 STI clutch and a flywheel for my EJ207 V7 and visually it looks exactly the same.

Offline forestergreg

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 11:09:42 am »
Let me know if that 04 flywheel works!

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '10 FXT & the (late) Thugeye
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 10:01:09 pm »
I edited my earlier post because the last thing I want to do is spread misinformation, my apologies. I don't concretely remember which flywheel I used, but seem to remember it coming from a v7 STI but I could be wholeheartedly wrong. The thing has been in there for a good number of years now.
entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Canyon & 2001 STI
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 06:53:49 pm »
What clutch and flywheel you use depends on the transmission, and not on the engine type (crank bolt pattern and threads are all the same).