Author Topic: JDM 1992-2000 Fuel Pump Part # and Alternatives  (Read 3906 times)

Offline awd_ftw

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1998 Impreza WRX STI wagon
Re: JDM 1992-2000 Fuel Pump Part # and Alternatives
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2018, 02:10:45 pm »
You may need to install a fuel pressure gauge to help try and sort this out.

Ill have to get a pressure gauge. Also, DW recommended purchasing their hardwire kit, comes with 12awg wires, 40amp relay, and a 25amp inline fuse. They believe it's an electrical issue. Right now I'm going to repin the old connector, the +/- on the female connector is turning brown. Stupid me I put dielectric grease when I first installed the dw200. Mechanic at work said I shouldn't of done that so uckfay me.

Anyways VancouverSTi98, I found that pump resistor. Man it looks bad. The ground wire is black and the insulating melted. Maybe it is an electrical issue that killed my OEM pump. Did you reinstall that resistor with your hrc pump?

Offline Vancouver98STi

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1998 JDM Subaru Impreza v4 STi GF8
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2018, 02:45:31 pm »
Stupid me I put dielectric grease when I first installed the dw200. Mechanic at work said I shouldn't of done that so uckfay me.

What's the problem with using dielectric grease?  ??? I use it in every electrical connection I can access in every one of my cars. Helps to keep moisture out, stops corrosion. Having said that, I wouldn't use it on electrical connections inside the gas tank. It seems to react to gas and turn into a white powder. Was that what the mechanic might've been referring to with you? If so, I still don't think that would've been responsible for your issues.

Anyways VancouverSTi98, I found that pump resistor. Man it looks bad. The ground wire is black and the insulating melted. Maybe it is an electrical issue that killed my OEM pump. Did you reinstall that resistor with your hrc pump?

Yes, I spliced the factory "suppressor" back into the replacement fuel pump wiring harness.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2018, 04:44:51 pm »
Nothing to do with the current discussion at hand, but i've been asked to link my findings on my 98 version 5 GC here.

I had been looking to replace my fuel pump, and I ordered both the Walbro 342 and 341 (one by mistake).

The 341:

The 342:

As you can see, the inlet and outlet are in line with one another on the 342, and this is the one that I needed for my car. Your's may or may not be different. The 341 has them opposed to one another.

I also had some sort of aftermarket catch basin at the bottom of my fuel pump instead of the typical fuel sock, but that shouldn't play a role in which one you need for your vehicle.

Offline Vancouver98STi

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1998 JDM Subaru Impreza v4 STi GF8
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2018, 06:11:40 pm »
...i've been asked to link my findings on my 98 version 5 GC here.

I also had some sort of aftermarket catch basin at the bottom of my fuel pump...

I was actually hoping to get a glimpse of the "catch basin"... :D

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2018, 02:10:22 pm »
I was actually hoping to get a glimpse of the "catch basin"... :D

Haven't been able to pull it out of the tank. If I do, it'll be in my build thread as considering it isn't a fuel pump, I don't think it really has a place in this thread.