Author Topic: Gum stuck to engine block...  (Read 968 times)

Offline giiyanman

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK
Gum stuck to engine block...
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:29:10 pm »
Ok so. I was trying to tighten up some of my fuel lines in my engine block. I was using one of those screwdrivers whose head can be replaced. However not really thinking, the one I was using was a bit loose. As I was finishing off a screw, the moment I lifted up the handle of the driver the head fell down the engine, although I could still see it. Not having a telescopic magnet to drag it out, I had the great idea of sticking a piece of gum on a barbecue stick and try to reach for it... This is where I started digging myself a rabbit hole and the driver head fell deeper into the engine block. Whats worse is that now a piece of gum is stuck to it and is spreading it on the immediate area as I desperately try to take out the gum with the barbecue stick.

Half an hour later I found a small enough fridge magnet, taped that to the barbecue stick and continued fishing for the driver head. Another 20 minutes later I managed to take most of the gum out along with the driver head.  :sarcasm:

So now my question is, the pieces of gum stuck deep in the bowels of the engine block, could they possibly cause problems in the future? Or will they just burn and turn to charcoal once the engine heats up?  ::) ::)

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
Re: Gum stuck to engine block...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 08:51:26 pm »
Is the chewing gum inside the engine? Like, in contact with engine oil?

On the outside, it'll get old and crusty and maybe look bad but it ain't gonna hurt anything.

On the inside, it should be oil soluble and slowly dissolve in the engine oil and just disappear.

Honestly wouldn't worry about.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline giiyanman

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK
Re: Gum stuck to engine block...
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 09:24:29 pm »
No, the gum is stuck to a surface outside the engine, right on the block casing.

If so then that's very relieving! I thought it may cause hotspots on the surface... Thank you very much.