Author Topic: Newbie probably being paranoid with Cobb AP and FKL readings  (Read 1365 times)

Offline B_Dub

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2018 WRX STI
Hey everyone

I got a cobb AP on my 2018 sti and for the past few months its been fine. I would get the occasional -1.4 and -2.4 FKL but nothing higher and I know this is nothing to worry about. I was running the 93 stage 1 map on huskey 94 (car is mechanically stock). Today has been hot and I was getting consistent fkl values of 1.4 under 50 to 75 % throttle. Like it was holding that value until I let off the throttle and then it went back to 0. DAM never changed. After doing some research I discovered that Cobb recomends the ACN map for our gas, so I flashed it over to that map and was getting FKL values of 3.5. I decided to send it back to the map I was using and was still getting FKL values of 3.5.

Did reflashing my map just change the ecu learning and thats why Im seeing increased values? Is it maybe just the heat? Or a bad tank of gas? Anything I should get checked out?

Thanks for your help

Offline greener

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2013 DGM WRX
Re: Newbie probably being paranoid with Cobb AP and FKL readings
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 04:52:36 pm »
Not sure if you've stumbled across this yet but it is a worthwhile read: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2711703

Also this from Cobb:
• Feedback Knock Correction: This value represents a current realtime minor timing correction
made by the ECU in response to a perceived noise. Feedback Knock Correction is the default
correction used by the ECU. The ECU will “respond” with this monitor by immediately
removing timing and then slowly decaying the value back to zero assuming no further noise
is detected.
• Fine Knock Learning: This value represents minor learned corrections currently being applied
by the ECU as a product of historical noise. These values are reset if the DAM value is
changed; once DAM has stabilized, any learned corrections will be intermittently evaluated
for sanity when certain thresholds/conditions are met. Fine Knock Learning is learned (and
thus applied) for specific ranges defined by load and RPM; once a correction value has been
learned into a particular range, it will be applied whenever the engine is operated within that
range.

As you can see constant FKL are far less worrisome than constant Feedback knock correction values, so if you arent experiencing big values for feedback knock you probably dont have to worry too much. That being said, many people on this forum will recommend you getting a custom pro-tune rather than using a generic cobb tune.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 05:07:20 pm »
Positive Fine Knock Learning values indicate the DAM is less than 1.00.  DAM is set to 0.80 when you reset the ECU, or reflash a map. Drive it around a bit and it should increase back to 1.00.

In general, -1.4 values aren't too scary as long as your DAM stays at 1.00.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline B_Dub

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 06:46:56 pm »
Thanks guys. I should mention that all values were negative. It was the 3.5 fkl that worried me. Ive seen nothing on the fkc values so Im just going to relax. I refilled the gas and now the most I'm seeing is 2.8 under the same conditions. Definitely going to get a pro tune. Ive been talking to airboy so I just need to set an appointment.

Offline B_Dub

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 06:48:03 pm »
Also according to the AP the DAM never changed from 1.0.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 08:48:05 pm »
+3.5 or -3.5?

If there's always a -3.5 correction, I personally wouldn't be comfortable. But sometimes it'll show up due to a weak tank of fuel, and that's just the way life goes.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline B_Dub

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 09:25:19 pm »
-3.5. Which is why I was worried. Like I said though, the new tank of gas hasn't given me that level. I think it was just a bad tank.

Offline wrxsti15

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: STI'15 - Airboy Tuned

Offline milkpumba

• Patchy Faced
  • Hakuna matata
  • Ride: 2017 ISM WRX
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 08:18:15 am »
As long as DAM stays at 1.0, I wouldn't worry about it.
I occasionally stream games on Twitch

Offline B_Dub

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 09:29:40 am »
Thanks for all the help.