Author Topic: Tokyo or Japan suggestions  (Read 3390 times)

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
Tokyo or Japan suggestions
« on: April 24, 2018, 06:03:02 pm »
Since this God forsaken website is probably brimming with filthy weaboos & discarded damp body pillows, maybe you can shoot me some suggestions for my trip?

Headed to Tokyo for a few days to get more tattoo done then me and the gf are headed south. Eventually maybe all the way to Okinawa.

Plz miss me with that tsukiji/skytree/meiji/Harajuku trash.

I've heard about the go cart thing but I dunno if the lady is into it.

Already on the list: dry ramen
Ramen
More types of ramen
Getting itshay faced in Golden gai
Riding bikes stoned in Kyoto
Steaks and drinks in Osaka followed by late night green dragon ramen.

Also if anyone knows a good spot to a) do some sweet virtual reality or b) go to hotsprings where guys and girls can mix. Or c) go to hot springs that are sort of undeveloped and on the side of a mountain please let me know!
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
Re: Tokyo or Japan suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 07:04:24 pm »
I hear Japan has good ramen; you should try it.

Offline redblack

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 07:47:17 pm »
I stayed near shinjuku station during my last trip and had ramen for breakfast everyday at the 24hr ichiran. Delicious compared to the stuff you get here.

Offline SingallZ

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Meh...
  • Ride: 72 Beetle and 1995-993-911-C4
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 09:02:20 pm »
I go to Tokyo often (getting drunk with the clients). I everything on your list is good (except maybe the go-carts, they seem more for Gaijin), also goto some temples/gardens (but know the protocols), and then go to Akihabara and buy some useless itshay.

Also I don't know if I'd wanna be this guy:

rith

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 12:00:03 am »
Go try out some Kobe Wagyu beef at a teppan place (Keep in mind it'll be probably a couple hundred for 2 people)   . Ramen, I'd recommend Matador in Tokyo for something different (it's Beef ramen.. yes.. not pork/chicken.. its different and good)  Pork ramen, Im not too sure.. !

Yeah, Harajuku sucks.. tourist pit.. friend brought us there.. was painful.

Check out Akihabara for sure, Shinjuku, Shibuya in Tokyo

Go look up "Obanzai" restaurants also, they have tons of things you'll never be able to try here, small regional dishes.

If you stop in Osaka on the way down south, try out regional stuff like Takoyaki, Okonomiyaki, kushi-katsu

Blogs are your best bet for good recommendations.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 10:19:13 am »
Best udon I've ever had is a place in Tokyo called Udon Shin. Both times I was there, the lineup was down the street. It was 100% worth the wait, and when you get close to the door, you can watch the guy making the noodles through the window.

Go see a baseball game. We saw the Tokyo Swallows play Yokohama. Lots of fun and the food at the stadium was great (ramen!)

Marikart (go karts) might be for gaijin, but its amazingly fun. My wife isn't into cars and loved it (after getting over her initial nervousness). Just make sure you grab your international drivers license from AMA before you go. Seriously. They do 50-70kph. I had a blast.

Eat Onigiri from convenience stores.

Osaka has great street food. Takoyaki (Octopus balls). Also karage (fried chicken).

Hiroshima has pretty awesome Okonomiyaki (giant pancakes with lots of stuff in them). Sit at a little stall and watch as they make it in front of you, then eat it off the hot plate.

Kyoto has some really good conveyor sushi place called Sushi no Musashi. There's one in the train station.

For sushi - try Otoro. Its fatty tuna belly.

If you go to Kobe, obviously try the beef, but you can also walk along the Sake distillery route, tasting various sake's along the way.

Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 11:36:09 am »
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 12:43:55 pm »
http://fun2drive-japan.com/

This!

WOW!  Those prices aren't...  Terrible... For a one day excursion. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline mojikita

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 12:52:14 pm »
If you're going south and onto the island of Kyushu, check out Beppu. It's a famous onsen area.

On the east side of the island, the prefectures of Oita, Miyazaki, and Kagoshima are amazing, if you have time to get down there. Nagasaki is on the west side of the island.

Fukuoka is on the northern tip. Hakata ramen (Fukuoka style) is probably my favourite. Also, Fukuoka is the fugu capital. Fugu with good sake is a unique and amazing experience.

If you can join a group for nomihodai or tabihodai (all you can eat or drink) karaoke, you'll be in for a treat. Karaoke is treated very differently there. It's usually a group activity with private rooms. It's hard to describe, but it's madness with unlimited alcohol.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 02:03:48 pm »
If you're going south and onto the island of Kyushu, check out Beppu. It's a famous onsen area.

On the east side of the island, the prefectures of Oita, Miyazaki, and Kagoshima are amazing, if you have time to get down there. Nagasaki is on the west side of the island.

Fukuoka is on the northern tip. Hakata ramen (Fukuoka style) is probably my favourite. Also, Fukuoka is the fugu capital. Fugu with good sake is a unique and amazing experience.

If you can join a group for nomihodai or tabihodai (all you can eat or drink) karaoke, you'll be in for a treat. Karaoke is treated very differently there. It's usually a group activity with private rooms. It's hard to describe, but it's madness with unlimited alcohol.

sweet thanks!
Yea I once went to karaoke in kanazawa with a girl that owned the hostel I was staying at and some europeans. And wow.... all you can drink until 1am and it cost us each ~$30..
One guy wandered off and got lost. The cops brought him home  ;D. Then the most hung over morning of my life. Missed checkout by like 3h and puked on a train. 
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 07:39:42 am »
If you do go to Akihabara, dig around the little nameless buildings that are away from the armies of pamphlet-shoving maids. Beep is a really cool store.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 07:41:11 am »
I probably will. B side label Is also down there as well as my favorite gy?za store.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 08:10:56 am »
I probably will. B side label Is also down there as well as my favorite gy?za store.
Also hit up every Village Vanguard you see.

Think skinny thoughts and visit the hidden shrine.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 01:11:01 pm »
Bumping this thread back to life. Going at the end of the month for a couple of weeks.

Staying in Tokyo for the majority of the trip. Already going to a Swallows game, and have akihabura, shinjuku, shibuya as places to go wander. The Pokemon centres, imperial palace, super autobacs, up garage, and a few other restaurants are on the list of things to do as well.

We are also doing a Fun2Drive trip for one day. We booked the ultimate drive trip (https://fun2drive-japan.com/car-tours/ultimate_hakone_drive/), and i'll be in a classic NSX while my buddy picked an R35.

Oh, we've also gotten clearance to head into USS Yokohama with a broker, so we might do that as well.

Lastly, we are spending a couple of days down in Shimoda/Shirahama beach area. Hoping to get some surf in and just explore that era a bit.

Do any of you have any recommendations on shrines/temples we should visit while we're out and about? Are there any good hikes that anyone would recommend? Perhaps to the top of Mt. Fuji?

Let me know your thoughts!

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 01:45:00 pm »
Bumping this thread back to life. Going at the end of the month for a couple of weeks.

Staying in Tokyo for the majority of the trip. Already going to a Swallows game, and have akihabura, shinjuku, shibuya as places to go wander. The Pokemon centres, imperial palace, super autobacs, up garage, and a few other restaurants are on the list of things to do as well.

We are also doing a Fun2Drive trip for one day. We booked the ultimate drive trip (https://fun2drive-japan.com/car-tours/ultimate_hakone_drive/), and i'll be in a classic NSX while my buddy picked an R35.

Oh, we've also gotten clearance to head into USS Yokohama with a broker, so we might do that as well.

Lastly, we are spending a couple of days down in Shimoda/Shirahama beach area. Hoping to get some surf in and just explore that era a bit.

Do any of you have any recommendations on shrines/temples we should visit while we're out and about? Are there any good hikes that anyone would recommend? Perhaps to the top of Mt. Fuji?

Let me know your thoughts!

Go to Osaka, it's better.

Your buddy really uckfayed up picking an R35 to drive on that trip. Who goes to Japan to drive a GTR and doesn't pick the most iconic R34, or even an R33, but picks the one that was available world-wide??? Weaksauce. Tell him I said that. At least you picked the right car. Seems like a cool trip though. The slower cars seem like the most fun.   

Also, Swallows suck. Hanshin Tigers 4 life!
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 11:13:50 am »
Go to Osaka, it's better.

Your buddy really uckfayed up picking an R35 to drive on that trip. Who goes to Japan to drive a GTR and doesn't pick the most iconic R34, or even an R33, but picks the one that was available world-wide??? Weaksauce. Tell him I said that. At least you picked the right car. Seems like a cool trip though. The slower cars seem like the most fun.   

Also, Swallows suck. Hanshin Tigers 4 life!

Honestly, as much as I want to do Osaka, I just don't think we have enough time. If there's one thing i've learned over my travels so far, it's that I should spend more time in one place rather than spending less time in more places. I will look to do a Kyoto, Osaka & area trip next time I return.

And funny you say that. I was telling him that ever since he mentioned that he'd be interested in driving it. I think it's the total wrong move, but his money not mine. I'm also torn on the NSX or RX7. I think the NSX will be a little less nimble, but I also won't feel like i'm about to die pushing a rotary RX7 up a touge.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 02:13:52 pm »
My sister just came back.. they love to eat, so it's somewhat local gastronomy-focused.

Here is their itinerary.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v05q2sl7z2jbzqv/Japan%20Itinerary.docx?dl=0
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline mojikita

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 05:41:44 pm »
God that was hard to read. Ichiran is so good.

My sister just came back.. they love to eat, so it's somewhat local gastronomy-focused.

Here is their itinerary.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 11:12:24 pm »

Here is their itinerary.

Thanks! This'll help fill any voids we have!

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 02:34:31 pm »
I'm thinking of going back this summer. Probably going to hit up Mt. Fuji but I think I'll stay in a ryokan or something in the area since a trip there from/to Tokyo seems inconvenient for a daytrip.

Have to figure out where I left my $6 Suica card in the house.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 04:47:33 pm »
I'm thinking of going back this summer. Probably going to hit up Mt. Fuji but I think I'll stay in a ryokan or something in the area since a trip there from/to Tokyo seems inconvenient for a daytrip.

Have to figure out where I left my $6 Suica card in the house.

I'll let you know what I find there. Were staying in Yamanakako for two nights right after our Fun2Drive tour. I'd love to climb Mt. Fuji one day, but unfortunately this is just too early in the season and i'll be with someone who very likely would not have the stamina to get to the summit.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2018 WRX Sport CVT (CBS)
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 05:00:06 pm »
Thanks for the thread bump - my wife and I will be going there in July, and this info will certainly help us.  O0
Because... hoodscoop.  :P

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 05:03:03 pm »
Sister stayed at a huge AirBnB there:

https://abnb.me/QAGsH5RFLW

It's got an elevator in the house and can fit up to 12 people!
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2019, 01:38:10 pm »
Officially back and responding properly to mountain time again.

Everything I did was fantastic, and of my main highlights was definitely the Fun2Drive tour. I cannot recommend it enough for anyone even remotely interested in cars. We had a squad of four cars on my tour (my NA1 NSX, an FD RX7, a lame-ish evo, and an R35), and we drove all of the famous initial D roads, some crazy touges, the Hakone skyline, and had incredible views on our stops overlooking Fuji-san. You really push it in these cars (despite your pace car driver telling you to go at your own comfortable pace), and it's honestly fantastic.

With a headset in one ear, you hear all of the rally-style commands like sharp right, medium left, hairpin right, etc. and if you're close enough behind him it quite literally is like having a rally co-driver. If you're a bit further back, it helps you visualize what is coming up in 5-10 seconds. Additionally, having them also call out things like "oncoming bus", or "oncoming motorcycle", really let you know when to ease off and then when to just floor it once again.

We were not allowed to record during our drive (although I did have my gopro in my mouth for around 35 minutes when we were a little further spread out), and i'll share that with people in person and not online. I do have a few pictures from that day, so i'll share them below:

If I find the video of us meeting up with another group (which had the Trueno AE86, and R34, a GC8, and a Ferrari), i'll post that up as well. That took place at some famous Initial D spot as well.
Here we are:

Oh, and here are the danger signs from Initial D:

Another highlight of my time in Japan was spent down on the Izu peninsula in a little surf town called Shirahama. Think of this place as a more tropical Tofino with Japanese temples, torii gates, and fantastic food. Surfing Japan was a bucketlist item for me, and this was more than I could have ever imagined. I went here on a weekday and early in the season, so it was very dead/peaceful. Come here during the weekends, and it apparently get's pretty crowded.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2019, 01:56:58 pm »
Wow, it looks stunning!

Of all the cars you can choose from and someone chooses what looks to be a stock Evo, seems like a waste haha.