Author Topic: Replacing stuck-on body parts  (Read 958 times)

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
Replacing stuck-on body parts
« on: May 08, 2018, 01:21:45 pm »
Various parts on my car that were stuck on using double sided tape are starting to fall off; likely result of the tape failing.

JDM Rain guards, front and rear spats... to name a few.

What's the best way require the least amount of effort to refurbish these parts?  I'm thinking I'll need to take off the parts, clean it (Goo-Gone or similar), put on new tape and re-stick.  Some of the tape is about 1/4" wide in some areas.  Will this work?
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
Re: Replacing stuck-on body parts
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 02:10:54 pm »
Pour some hot water down where the tape is to help pull it off. You could also use a heat gun or hair dryer (I like hot water to avoid damaging itshay and it gets right in there). You run the risk of breaking the parts if you try to do it cold.

I bought goo gone from Canadian tire and it works wonders for cleaning the area.

I’m limited on installing knowledge, but hopefully this helps pulling you off

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
Re: Replacing stuck-on body parts
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 05:44:22 pm »
For anything on hard surfaces you can get a pin stripe remover / strip off wheel. 
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.