Author Topic: Dot 4 brake fluid for Formula brakes?  (Read 860 times)

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
Dot 4 brake fluid for Formula brakes?
« on: June 04, 2018, 01:40:12 pm »
Hey all,

The guy I bought the Formula RO's off last fall got the caliper working for me, which was solid of him. Unfortunately, he swapped the perch so now the one connected to the caliper has a stripped bolt hole and I need to swap it back and bleed it. He provided me with the stuff to bleed it, except the Dot 4 fluid. Can I pick up any Dot 4 from crappy tire and use that? This will be my first time bleeding a brake, so uncharted territory haha.

Thanks

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
Re: Dot 4 brake fluid for Formula brakes?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 07:39:42 pm »
Any DOT 4 will do. If I remember correctly, you can bleed it out to a DOT 5.1 if you want the better temp rating. You just have to make sure there is no DOT 4 fluid left in it so you'll have to do a very thorough bleed.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 07:51:25 pm »
DOT 4 and 5.1 are both glycol-based, so they’re fine if they mix together. It’s DOT 5, which is silicon-based, that you need to be thorough with when switching from the glycol fluids.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 09:29:49 am »
Thanks guys, I'll grab some from crappy tire this week as I need some car cleaning stuff. Never bled a brake so it should be a fun exp lol. Watched a youtube how to and doesn't look difficult. It'll be nice to be able to bleed my own brakes.