Author Topic: Cycling Computer Advice  (Read 1195 times)

Offline WAGOWN

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
Cycling Computer Advice
« on: June 05, 2018, 11:49:41 am »
Hey guys! I’m stoked to finally dip into this subforum!

I just got a new bike that I’m really enjoying riding (Cube Hyde Race) on the roads and paved trails, it’s so nice to have an efficient commuter, and be able to retire my MTB (that I have tried to hybridize) back to trail duty. It seems like lots of you are into DH/MTB riding but you all seem like a very knowledgeable crowd and I have been spinning my head reading blogs and forums and reviews about computers and hope you might be able to offer some sagely advice.

My old bike had a basic Cat Eye speedo, and I never even had to change the battery. I liked that it stayed on my bike and was a fairly reliable speedo/odometer. Knowing total kms ridden is a plus to me. Getting that info on a GPS unit definitely seems possible but there’s so much more going on!

I have a Garmin Edge 25, but I am very unimpressed with the Connect app, and its inability to effectively cooperate with Apple Health, among other things like failing to sync, and just being glitchy in general.

I don’t think I really will ever care too much about the advanced metrics like cadence and route planning - so I feel like a basic Cat Eye or something like my old one would do enough and I can still return the Garmin.

I also have an Apple Watch, and when I remember to start a workout it seems to be giving me an accurate enough idea of what I’m doing; the caveat to using only the watch is difficulty tracking total distance and it seems weird to look at my wrist to check speed.

I’m pretty sure my mind is made up to get a basic speedo/odo and not worry about GPS, as the watch does good enough for that and actually writes data properly to Health App.

Does anyone have recommendations for which device? Velo 7 wired, Velo wireless, Strada, different brands? They are all pretty cheap and seem decent.

Also PS - are clipless really worth it? I think I am sold on a nice set of grippy flats. Clipless shoes are limited and ugly and I feel like at size 13 feet I might just run into more problems, like without trying all systems wondering what could be better, hah!

02 WRX, 97 OBS, 03 WRX, 98 OBS, 97 JDM Leg, 97 s/tb, 03 OBS, JDM V7 STi Wagon

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
Re: Cycling Computer Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 01:11:13 pm »
subbing to this as I'm also interested in picking up a cycling computer.

Offline WAGOWN

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 03:32:16 pm »
I was really stoked on the potential features of a GPS computer, but it really feels like integrating it into my riding is more pain than it should be and I should just concentrate on riding more and just enjoying that, haha. It feels like all these dofferent tracking and health apps just don’t jive with each other like the makers claim.

Offline StreetsTheWay

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad || 2007 WRX STi || 2002 WRX Wagon
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 03:59:02 pm »
I'm not super knowledgeable about using a cycling computer, but I do have a wheel speed sensor & cadence sensor on my bike, while I use my Garmin Fenix 5 for everything else; GPS, altitude, heart rate, and everything else that the watch tracks. The watch also has a map if I need it, but I normally just show distance, speed, elevation gain, and time. I use Strava, Nike Run club app for running, and Garmin Connect on Android. If you're serious about tracking data you can get pedal power meters but unless you're hardcore training for a triathlon, I don't think its worth it. ($600+ at the minimum)

As far as compatible equipment for the gear and apps you like to use, you're going to have to do some hunting around the internet. A quick search brought me to a forum where apple users were having problems getting their equipment to record from multiple sensors at once when they tried to add a cadence sensor... but I didn't read into it too deeply.

Here's the bike sensors I picked up:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5038-739/Speed%26-Cadence-Sensor?gclid=CjwKCAjw6djYBRB8EiwAoAF6oTT5KX_ClbppTX70EonZjZ7X8EfIrQBwCdM2rW47XrJZOMFJT9dbABoCaykQAvD_BwE

Tracking a ride is super simple, I hit 2 buttons on my watch start, and all my sensors automatically pick up within about 10-20 seconds.

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 04:02:20 pm »
I have the same feelings. If there are inexpensive options out there, I think it would be beneficial to have. I currently just toss my phone in my pocket and have the Strava app running and it does GPS tracking and the like but it would be nice to have something simple mounted on my handlebars to see real-time updates.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 05:41:04 pm »
I used to have a basic speedo/cadence computer, but the battery eventually died and I barely missed it, so everything came off. Sometimes I'm curious, like ripping down Sunshine Road, but ehhhhh. Now I just run Strava on my phone, it's the best.

As for clipless, 100% yes on a roadie if you're getting a little more serious. Finding the right shoe could be tough with your flippers though.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline WAGOWN

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 10:35:15 am »
I used to have a basic speedo/cadence computer, but the battery eventually died and I barely missed it, so everything came off. Sometimes I'm curious, like ripping down Sunshine Road, but ehhhhh. Now I just run Strava on my phone, it's the best.

As for clipless, 100% yes on a roadie if you're getting a little more serious. Finding the right shoe could be tough with your flippers though.

I agree, simplicity keeps the focus on the fun of the ride!

I was really stoked on the prospect of clipless but the last thing I need is more shoes/special hideous ones just for biking.

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2002 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 04:14:10 pm »
Clipless are well worth it. They benefit efficiency of your pedal stroke (you can push and pull). They are normally dialed in to your position on the bike and thus are easier on joints etc. They also have a higher instep to prevent knees from collapsing in/out and keep your legs moving in line which goes back to easier on joints. There is a lot of information online about all of this but that being said, if you are 50-50 commuting/weekend warrior riding the bike then you could consider something like the Shimano A530 spd pedal. Essentially it gives you the best of both worlds and eliminates the need to swap out pedals or carry an extra set of shoes depending on the activity you're doing.
2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017
2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatchback - Sold 01/04/2022

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 04:24:46 pm »
https://www.amazon.ca/Exustar-SR442-Cycling-Shoe-Black/dp/B00EJMGT82

That's the shoe I have, originally bought from MEC but they don't carry it anymore. Bummer.

I just got the cheapest shoe I could find so I could experience it and maybe upgrade later. Now I've easily got 5000kms on them, no complaints, no plans to replace them any time soon.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 10:46:42 am »
Cycling computers can give you as much or as little as you like. Ive been running the Garmin 820 on my road bike and using a Garmin 920 xt watch on my mountain bike as i don't want to loose my expensive computer in the likely event  i crash. Garmin's platform i like and the ease of use. Is there also is something to be said to every bike shop has or has access to Garmin parts if need be

For ease of use these are sweet and easy to set up. i wouldn't bother using a wired unit anymore i see more bikes with the wires dangling in dangerous spots than anything. This or something like this will cover what you are looking for
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-330/M2-1-WL-Wireless-Bike-Computer

Cycling shoes
More of a personal thing. I love being clipped in riding Enduro and road but still have flats on my DH bike. Ive seen and ridden both ways and its up to your comfort level. Big mistakes i see with clipless is people not knowing how to adjust tension or buying the wrong cleats (single release vs Multi release ) even more putting the cleat in the wrong place or orientation (crank brothers ) this will effect how much you enjoy clipless. If you ride flat a nice set of riding shoes will help they are stiffer than runners and will include (most of the time ) better base materiel to grip to your pedals

Cheers

Offline WAGOWN

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 11:36:42 am »
Thanks for the tip on clipless! I’m leaning toward flats because I already have some good 510 shoes and have bad luck with shoe shopping. Maybe I will keep trying clipless shoes ‘til I find good ones, then get the pedals.

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 10:12:11 am »
Thanks for the tip on clipless! I’m leaning toward flats because I already have some good 510 shoes and have bad luck with shoe shopping. Maybe I will keep trying clipless shoes ‘til I find good ones, then get the pedals.

Its hard but not impossible to find shoes that will fit well, also different brands will fit differently.  There are shoes that will fit people with big feet.  I wear around a size 12 ish depending on how wide the shoes are.  There are some more urban style shoes that don't look so bad these days.  They can be pretty comfortable to walk around in as well, at least compared to a road or dedicated mountain style shoe.  I just suggest going in sooner than later to the bike shops.  Most stuff gets ordered and booked over the winter and they get their stock early in the spring, and with odd ball sizes they may not have it in stock for you to try but they might be able to get them ordered in for you.

But once you go clipless its hard to go back.

Offline WAGOWN

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 11:11:31 am »
I tried on every pair of shoes at MEC - even the ugly assay ones. Hated ‘em all.

I bought Crank Bros Stamp 7 large platforms and they grip my 510 shoes SO GOOD. I can pull with my hamstrings no problem. Probably not near as good as clipless I guess, but I’ll probably never know.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 10:03:28 am »
I haven't ridden on platforms.. always SPDs.

What am I missing out on?  How do you pull the bike upwards if your feet aren't locked in?
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 04:07:05 pm »
I haven't ridden on platforms.. always SPDs.

What am I missing out on?  How do you pull the bike upwards if your feet aren't locked in?

hah
enduros.

1. tilt feet forward. Ensure pedal is roughly centered on the balls of your feet
2.using your body, create tension between the handlebars and the pedals (push like youre trying to spread the tires apart)
3. pressure off your quads or "jump" to lift your bodyweight or most of your bodyweight off the pedals
4. While weight is light, contract your hamstrings, curling your legs back under you. Your back tire should lift off the ground entirely. Dont forget to maintain the tension between bars and pedals throughout the movement.
5. Try the same movement again, but this time lift up on the handle bars at the same time.

advanced:
Try lifting your front wheel first, in a short "wheelie". Shift your weight back to vertical, then quickly explode upwards and lift the rear wheel. Using this technique you can get much more height.

jk, i know you meant to say "how you you pull the pedals up during the latter half of your pedal stroke with no clips??" and the answer is you cant really. If you utilize your body tension and hamstrings you can do a little work up but not much.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 04:59:32 pm »
Hah.

jk, i know you meant to say "how you you pull the pedals up during the latter half of your pedal stroke with no clips??" and the answer is you cant really. If you utilize your body tension and hamstrings you can do a little work up but not much.

Time to figure out how to coordinate my limbs.. wish young me learned it so old me doesn't have to.  :(
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 09:58:20 pm »
It's never too late for your first bunny hop.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 12:18:03 am »
There are a lot of good tutorials about bunny hopping. Check Skills with Phil and Singletrack Sampler. I ride flats and am just as fast as the fast dudes on clips. I can see the advantage of clipless, but I don’t race so eeking out that little bit of efficiency isn’t a huge deal for me. If you ride flats try an oval chain ring to optimize power delivery. If you want to learn good technique, ride flats. Once you’ve the technique, ride what is most natural and comfortable.

Oh yeah this is a thread about cycling computers. I just use Strava on my phone and am addicted to trophies, PR’s, and hunting KOM’s. Just ride your bike and have fun!
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 03:45:48 pm »
Thanks for the tips EDJ & Darth!

I think a new 29'er will help me learn those skills easier.