Author Topic: Best bang for the buck sub and mono block amp?  (Read 2342 times)

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
Best bang for the buck sub and mono block amp?
« on: June 23, 2019, 01:23:50 pm »
Hey all,

I'm leaning towards keeping my A6 so it's time to look into a few upgrades. The Bose system is okay, ideally I'd like to go with a full aftermarket setup but that would get pretty pricey. So I think adding a sub to the existing system should be adequate.

I'd like to get a clean install, but after some research there isn't really a good option outside of a single sub in a box. The trunk is big enough so it shouldn't be an issue.

From what I've read, I'll need an LC2I, amp, sub and box. Install wouldn't be too hard as I believe the battery is already in the trunk, and then I tap into the factory sub wiring.

I haven't looked into gear in a while, my last couple systems were Hertz which are fantastic, but I no longer get cost pricing lol. What are some of the better bang for the buck options? Ideally I'd like to keep everything under a grand or less as there's a handful of things I want to do to it.

Thanks

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Best bang for the buck sub and mono block amp?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 10:30:29 am »
Doing a bit of research I found some decent options.

Amp, 1 ohm stable
https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_130GMDX871/Pioneer-GM-DX871.html?tp=73365

Sub options
Alpine R-W12D2 - https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_500RW12D2/Alpine-R-W12D2.html?tp=73151

Rockford Fosgate P3D2-12 - https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_5751P3D212/Rockford-Fosgate-P3D2-12.html?tp=73151

Infinity Kappa 1200W - https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_108KAPPA12/Infinity-Kappa-1200W.html?tp=73151

Those are in the order I'd be interested in. I primarily listen to EDM, some rock and rap.

Thoughts?

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 11:10:52 am »
imo a 12" woofer is pretty grossly excessive and you're going to end up with one of those teenager setups with a massive box in your trunk and no cargo space unless you put a fair bit of time and or money into a custom molded box. But I don't know what your expectations are with the amount of bass you want, if you want to be the guy people hear the booming a couple blocks away have at it. Also if you're tapping into an oem sound system you're going to be better off with an amplifier with a high level input built into it so you don't need a separate converter.

Personally considering the car and how new it is I'd be looking at a modular/powered subwoofer setup like an Infinity BassLink DC or similar if you're looking for something with a bit more oomph than a typical underseat sub. Pretty much all of the modular/powered subwoofers will have a high level input built into them as they're designed to be integrated into an OEM sound system.

https://www.infinityspeakers.com/subwoofers/INFINITY+BASSLINK+DC.html?cgid=subwoofers&dwvar_INFINITY%20BASSLINK%20DC_color=Black-USA-Current#start=1

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 12:23:09 pm »
I was considering going with a 10", I just wasn't sure if it would leave me wanting a bit more considering it's a bit larger of a sedan. I've done a lot of different systems over the year ranging from dual 12's, dual 10's, and a single if each as well. The single 12 wasn't enough in my old civic coup so I went dual 10's, that said it was a shallow mount but a very nice Kenwood Excellon.

The best setup I've had was a 10" JL shallow, it pumped as sounded amazing. That said, it was in my S2000 which is a small car.

I believe the amp I posted had a high level input, but I'll double check.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 03:12:50 pm »
Surprised how dead this audio sub forum is. Anyway, I ordered my amp yesterday, picked up a Hertz HPC1D which pushes 600 RMS at 2ohms. I have also sourced a local LC2i as well which will take care of the signal/high level input.

I'm still undecided on the sub. I wish more company sold their subs with designed enclosures, even if it was at a bit of a premium. I'm leaning towards an Alpine Type S, but I'm planning to stop into Visions over the weekend to see if they have car audio setup to listen to.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 03:51:09 pm »
OEM Stereo's aren't as garbage as they use to be, thus there's less people wanting/needing to modify. Non standard head units and expensive retrofits don't help.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 12:34:56 pm »
OEM Stereo's aren't as garbage as they use to be, thus there's less people wanting/needing to modify. Non standard head units and expensive retrofits don't help.
Very true.. The system in my past few cars has been decent. I've just always loved bass and have added subs to almost every car I've had. I actually really like the Bose in my Audi, sounds great, just lacking bass for me. Most people would find it adequate though I'm sue.

Since I went with a bigger car than I wanted, I can justify losing a bit is trunk space for a box.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 09:05:50 pm »
Got all my gear, but haven't had a chance to install it yet. Started looking into it, and hesitant if I want to start cutting into the factory wires, or pay someone to do it.

Any Calgary installers WSC'ers would recommend?

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 10:11:49 pm »
Ideally you could try and source the connectors from the harness you are tapping into and make a patch/tap harness. Typically you can get speaker adapter harnesses for most cars, you'd just need to find the opposite side to that connector.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 10:42:58 pm »
Thanks I'll look into those. From what I've read, I need to tap into the power to the factory amp, to run to the LC2I, and the factory sub harness to the LC2I for signal/remote.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 10:54:14 pm »
I imagine tapping into the power for that purpose is simply a remote signal to tell the LC2I to turn on. I wouldn't pull power for it through the oem harness, especially considering you're going to have to run power cabling anyways from the battery to power the amp I'd just T off of that.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 11:27:03 pm »
I imagine tapping into the power for that purpose is simply a remote signal to tell the LC2I to turn on. I wouldn't pull power for it through the oem harness, especially considering you're going to have to run power cabling anyways from the battery to power the amp I'd just T off of that.

Makes sense regarding the power. I was surprised when the person on Audizine recommended tapping into the factory amp. Was the first time I had read that.