Author Topic: Deedz' 07 Forester XT Limited...Black Betty 2.0 Built Grocery Getter  (Read 1534 times)

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon JBP [1st Subaru]
I'm very late in fully introducing this member of my Subaru family, and I haven't been very present in the forums for quite a while. Pretty much since my daughter was born.

I had my eye's on this one ever since it made it's way to Saskatoon in 2010 or 2011, as it was a friend who had bought it and modified it originally.

So the back story here is that in the summer of 2014 I had bought a wrecked (mostly suspension) 2004 Forester XT and used some of the parts off of my 04 WRX Sport Wagon (STi swapped) to replace many of the damaged parts. I absolutely loved this car, but the same issue came up in that my wife was never going to drive it being a 5-speed, and she may not even have been capable/confident enough if she needed too. My buddy had mentioned that he was going to be listing the 2007 in summer 2015, so I decided to sell the 2004. There was a bit of waiting involved, but it all worked out in the end. The 2007 didn't sell during the wait. Likely mostly due to it sporting a 4EAT and quite a few modifications.

Unfortunately, I had many issues with the 2007 in the beginning, and after almost 3 years later (this September) from a head gasket failure due to a warped head, the famous fuel filter o-ring shitting out in the middle of a WOT data log, to AOS issues combined with underlying issues stemming from the HG failure taking out the bottom end.

When fixing the initial issues with the HG right after I bought the car, it was found that after a previous bottom end forged rebuild the engine was reassembled with the RH head being out 4 thou at the bottom side of cylinder 3. It just so happens that cylinder 3 suffered a catastrophic failure (OEM SB), due to an overboosting event one winter. The issue of the engine ever being reassembled with a warped head was not the fault of my buddy (the PO), the shop that did the work said the tolerances were in spec, which if I recall correctly is a max of 1 thou clearance across the head surface.

As mentioned the next major issue was a combination of underlying affects of the HG failure on the bottom end (collapsed pistons, and possibly cylinder wall/block stress), combined with running a ittshay AOS in colder temps. One evening after a family supper I was at approx. 2/3 throttle coming down an on ramp to the freeway when all of a sudden the car went boom, boom. After this point I was so pissed off about the situation that the car sat pretty much untouched from April 2016 until June 2017. As upset as I had been I obviously realized that there was a lot of money and potential just sitting there wasting away, and to be honest after all of the headaches I still really loved the car.

So onto June 2017, I finally got back to a point of wanting to show the car some love again and get it to where it should be. To achieve this meant a whole new/proper engine build. I decided to start pulling the engine apart and found that the coolant crossover manifold had a rather large chunk blown out of it. After removing everything down to that point it was found that #4's cylinder wall was CRACKED! >:(  So, along with the help of my buddy (the PO) I removed the engine and took it down to Regina and dropped it off at Odd Man Out Performance. The whole crew there is purely passionate about Subaru as well as anything that enters their shop. I was working out of Regina most of the summer, so I was able to stop in regularly to hang out and check in on my new build. I can't say enough good things about OMO. They're all so laid back and put up with me being around, even after Jessie already had to put up with seeing me daily as I was renting his basement hahaha! Yet more importantly they were very knowledgeable and professional throughout the build process and put up with my severe lack of decisiveness at times.

I'll be adding some pictures, but due to a crack in the cylinder wall, basically what is believed to have happened is that coolant got in and caused a detonation resulting in the crack expanding and letting even more coolant in, then hydro-locking the cylinder. The crazy thing is the K1 forged H-beam conn rod actuallly bent, and there was no visible damage to the JE forged piston. The event also caused a piece of cylinder wall to break free.

Now to some more positive times with this now remedied money pit! ;D  Earlier on in 2017 I had signed up for the first Saskatchewan Royal Rally - Prairie Run. The original plan was to surprise my dad and have him run his 2016 Camaro 2SS. However once he realized that he had to place sponsor stickers all over his car, he said hell no! So, that brought the push to get the Forester back on the blacktop. Even though the event wasn't taking place until September long weekend, I pushed it right up until the night before to be fully ready for further break-in. My time was very limited between my work schedule, family holidays, and finding a couple of other failed parts like the radiator which also received some cylinder pressure like the coolant crossover. I should have realized that probability way back when I found the blown coolant crossover.

The Prairie Run was set to start on the morning of September second and I had finally got the car fully assembled and running Wednesday August 30th. I did the first 10-15 minute run-in up to temperature, and dumped the oil. Then the push was on to get some break-in km on it. I was up till all hours a bit that first night, Thursday night, and into Friday night driving all over the city and surrounding area at various speed/loads on quiet night roads to pack on the first 800km. I then did an oil change at 10:30pm Friday night and went out to put another 100km or so on the build.  All was great and I was now ready to roll for the Prairie Run the next morning.

The Prairie Run was actually a great way to break the engine in. I decided to limit the boost to run off waste-gate pressure which was 11psi instead of the full boost of 18psi. Although there was some highway driving there was lots of stop and go with it being a scavenger hunt type of rally and I was sure to vary my speeds and load on the engine A LOT. The new engine is what OMO calls their 18A staged short block. It consists of 2012 STi case halves, a 2012 STi crank, King race bearings, Brian Crower forged H-beam conn rods, and Manley forged pistons. The original build had ACL race bearings, K1 forged H-beam conn rods, and JE pistons (way noisier).

So here we are almost a year after the new rebuild and all is great with the car. I'm truly grateful for the willingness of my buddy Chris (PO) to always lend a hand in the hard times, all while not even being asked to do so. Again, I'm also grateful for everyone over at Odd Man Out Performance in Regina for all that they've done to support this rebuild and my overall Subaru addiction.  THANK YOU!

Firstly I'd like to pay some homage to the stepping stone that helped me upgrade to the 2007(too many Subaru's $). I do miss it sometimes, but that's mostly because I seem to have an attachment problem. ;)

Way, back when I simply used to drool every time that I saw the 07 on the street. ;D

A look at the original engine failure, before I owned the 07, including a cracked case half thanks to a connecting rod. This was due to the above mentioned overboost condition. Destroyed!

A comparative look!

Back when I first got the 2007 in September 2015.

Surprise! My daughter's very first car ride just so happened to be in a Subaru. When I bought the Forester it had an Invidia N1 exhaust. Every time we had to come to a stop, my daughter would start crying. Then she would go quiet again once rolling and raising the RPM's. This car has been part of some of the best moments in my life thus far.

A couple of capture's from a Wednesday night meet, by the talented Megan Skene Photography!

Panda Theme Strong! With Sask08Sti &

| 04 WRX [STi'd] Sport Wagon JBP | V7 EJ207 | V8 6-Speed/R180 | SOLD 02 WRX Sport Wagon PSM | Rebuilt EJ205 | 4EAT | SOLD 04 Forester XT PSM | 5-Speed | 07 Forester XT Limited OBP | Built EJ257 | 4EAT | SOLD 03 Subaru Forester XS Premium AW | No Engine | 11 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited CBS | EZ36 | 5EAT | 99 GMC Sierra Classic SLE Z71 SGM | 6.0L LQ4/4L65E Swap | 05 Chevrolet Silverado SS AWD SBM | 6.0L LQ9 | 4L65E |

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Deedz' 07 Forester XT Limited...Built Grocery Getter[PICTURE DUMP]
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 01:17:50 pm »
General Mod List (Needs to be categorized)

• Currently running a GetaDomTune, but have short term plans of an OMO tune.
• Odd Man Out 18A short block build and rebuilt heads (Balanced, BC forged H beam rods, Manley forged pistons, King race bearings,
   STi crankshaft, ARP head studs, STi oil pump, Killer B oil pick up and baffle windage tray)
   [Originally Balanced by LI, with the following internals K1 forged H-beam rods, JE forged pistons, ACL race bearings]
• ID 850 Injectors [Originally DW650]
• Grimmspeed Phenolic TB spacers - 3mm
• IAG Black Aluminum CNC TGV deletes [Originally OEM]
• 04 STI intake manifold
• STi VF48 Turbo and the larger 2012 STi TMIC intercooler
• Perrin Turbo Inlet
• Cobb CAI with Cobb Box and Cobb post MAF hose [Originally Injen CAI]
• Cobb TMIC to TB coupler
• Turbosmart Compgate40 external wastegate with 11 lb spring [Originally 14 lb.]
• Grimmspeed up-pipe for external wastegate
• Grimmspeed internal wastegate locking bracket
• Grimmspeed 3-port boost controller
• DeatschWerks DW200 Fuel Pump [Originally a Walbro 255]
• One step colder NGK spark plugs
• Larger JDM V7 STi hoodscoop with a Grimmspeed Forester specific lightweight splitter
  [Originally a V8 STi hybrid fiberglass scoop with a ProcessWest Forester specific splitter] 
• Cosworth air pump delete block off plates
• Secondairy air system delete
• Maddad whisperback cat back with Invidia Catless Down Pipe [Original cat-back was an Invidia N1]
• Grimmspeed Air oil seperator [Current plans to delete this and upgrade to an IAG or Killer B unit]
• Subaru group N pitch stop mount
• Subaru group N lower engine mounts
• Grimmspeed master cylinder brace
• Goodridge stainless steel brake lines
• Stoptech Street Sport Rotors and Pads [Originally unkown brand slotted/drilled rotors and raybestos pads]
• STi sway bars and end links
• Megan Racing - Street Series Coilovers
• Cusco strut braces F/R
• Cusco engine room power braces
• Cobb radiator and upper resevoir caps
• Cobb battery tie down
• Grimmspeed Forester specific hood struts
• Forester XT Sports front bumper
• US Model Forester XT Sports headlights
• US Model Forester XT Sports tail lights
• Forester JDM STi front lip
• Forester JDM STi front grill
• TSW Donnington Wheels – 18×8 +22 Offset
• Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires – 245/45/18 [Originally Mickey Thompson Street Comp]
• AEM Air/Fuel and Boost Gauge – Custom hidden mount in upper dash console
• OEM Column Mount Manual Boost Gauge
• Cobb V3 AccessPort with dash mount [Originally a V2 with no mount]
• Rally Armour Mud Flaps - Red Print on Black
• JDM Forester STi Alternator Cover and JDM STi Forester 2.5L Badge
• JDM Red Illuminated Hazard Switch
• Subtle Solutions Billet Aluminum Dead Pedal
• JDM STi Billet Aluminum Brake/Gas Pedals
• Subtle Solutions HVAC Knob Overlays – Black
• Black Interior Console Trim
• Hurst Pistol Grip Shift Knob
• WeatherTech floor mats – front & rear
• Cobb WeatherTech floor mat badges
• Factory head unit with 12" Alpine Type R Sub in custom hatch fitted box, and a Alpine
| 04 WRX [STi'd] Sport Wagon JBP | V7 EJ207 | V8 6-Speed/R180 | SOLD 02 WRX Sport Wagon PSM | Rebuilt EJ205 | 4EAT | SOLD 04 Forester XT PSM | 5-Speed | 07 Forester XT Limited OBP | Built EJ257 | 4EAT | SOLD 03 Subaru Forester XS Premium AW | No Engine | 11 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited CBS | EZ36 | 5EAT | 99 GMC Sierra Classic SLE Z71 SGM | 6.0L LQ4/4L65E Swap | 05 Chevrolet Silverado SS AWD SBM | 6.0L LQ9 | 4L65E |

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 02:07:56 pm »
Nightrider! :P

One of my first additions to the modification list was blacking out silver & some chrome on the hatch. I simply used 3M Satin Black Vinyl.

I added a Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace. It was already kicking around as I decided to go with a Cusco model on my other project wagon to match all of the other Cusco blue everywhere.

Also, I immediately upgraded from a V2 AP to the V3 and added the dash mount.

And... here was the proof of the suspected head gasket issue mentioned in the intro post.

Since the engine was coming out and apart, I decided to make a few more upgrades. I switch out the DW650 injectors for ID 850's and also added the IAG Black Billet Aluminum CNC TGV Deletes with Grimmspeed 3mm Phenolic Spacers.

So out this pig came, for the first time.

Checking tolerances.

Brand new coil packs.

IAG TGV Deletes and ID 850's installed. For a clean and proper install I cut the original injector connectors off and crimped on the pins for the ID connectors, rather than running the conversion pigtails.

Reassembly time.

Proper tools for the job. These are a must if you do your own work. Especially owning multiple Subaru's.

The last picture that I had handy before it went back in.

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 02:27:57 pm »
Sometime's it's the little things, like the JDM Forester STi alternator cover/badge and tagging the 2012 STi TMIC up like the older STi's.

The car came with the original Limited front bumper, grill, headlights, struts and some Subaru steel wheels all for winter mode. The front bumper was pretty beat up including smashed out fog lights. It was cheaper to replace the OEM fog lights with some Rigid LED cubes. I swapped out the summer coilovers for WRX struts instead of the stock Forester struts, and ran some 04 STi BBS wheels instead of the steel wheels while I waited for new winter tires for the ugly steely's. Instead of swapping over to the ugly stock grill, I swapped out the JDM STi grill for the color matched Forester Sports grill.

Square light in a round hole...

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 02:40:44 pm »
The engine bay just after I bought the car and added the Subtle Solutions Radiator Shroud and the JDM Forester STi Alternator Cover/Badge.

The engine bay currently. Another addition at the same time as the injector/TGV Delete upgrade was the Cobb SF Intake, including the box and Post MAF hose.

I also replaced the Process West Forester specific hood scoop splitter with a lighter and superior Grimmspeed version as soon as it became available.

I enjoyed having the Grimmspeed hood struts on my 04 sport wagon that I had to have a pair for the Forester as soon as they were available as well.

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
Join me if you will, on the journey to my next failure in only approximately 6500 km of my ownership. If you actually took the time to read my intro post for this build thread, this is where the famous fuel filter o-ring itshay out on me at WOT during a data log for mt tuner.

My Forester decided to pull out a Subaru COMBO hit! Even after I replaced the filter which fixed the issue of only seeing 12psi or so fuel pressure at the rails, the car was still struggling to start and I when it would finally do so I was seeing misfires and which caused an intermittent PO340 CEL. Luckily both of these issue were relatively cheap and easy to remedy.

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
Skip forward to April 2016 where the journey takes us to my last major failure, before finally ditching the pure nemesis of an EJ build. As ittshay as this was, looking back it could almost be considered a necessary evil to finally rid the car of constant reoccurring issues.

Even though I lost interest in the car for a long while, there was the odd time where I'd pull out some wrenches and at least try to get motivated. I had pretty good help. Check out her Subaru STi jumpsuit that I got straight from Japan, it even cam with a bib. She's already tall like her dad, so the legs didn't fit so well.

Off to Odd Man Out Performance in Regina to assess the full extent of the damage and get all proper.

The carnage!

Yep, that's a bent forged H-beam rod...

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
Here we arrive at one of the positive points of the journey, with the Odd Man Out 18A getting some final touches before I dropped it back in.

Due to some oil making it's way into the timing case when initially priming the oil pump I had to remove and clean the timing belt and all of the idler pully's etc.

I did have my fair share of stripped threads, mostly just a couple of the smaller M6 female threads. Heli-Coil to the rescue.

Another one of two on the coolant crossover manifold on the re-man. block.

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
I tried my hardest to get it up and running before our family road trip to Alberta. I made it to the point of discovering the leaking radiator tanks. With the cooling system seeing some cylinder pressure which blew out the coolant crossover manifold, I should have thought to properly test the system for leaks prior. I definitely had some blinders on and was strictly focused on the obvious tasks. However with the obvious loss of coolant being the crossover r, it was easy to overlook the other affected parts. Lesson learned.

I wasn't about to let the rain stop me. My garage was occupied so I went and bought a canopy.

Being a 4EAT my options were very limited as far as replacement radiators go and wanting to upgrade. There are basically zero aftermarket options, with the exception of one on eBay in Australia. I initially bought a Spectra Premium replacement locally. Never again, there were major quality issues with almost everything you could think of from the cooler fittings to damaged core tubes. I refuse to support my local Subaru dealership any further due to multiple issues throughout the ittshay business. So I ordered this one elsewhere and saved approximately $120 for it (OEM Calsonic Kansei Replacement).

The system tested fine thereafter.

Back in business with it's first tank of Husky 94 in a year!

Nothing but the good stuff for the break-in intervals.

Between putting enough km on the car to be ready for Royal Rally - Prairie Run, I was also down to the wire with getting the full summer set-up back on the car. Not to mention the full sponsor sticker package too. I couldn't decide which wheels to run, but the TSW's prevailed over the Rota's. Flush > Stretched & Real > Fake ;D

Onto something new and fun all while giving the car a good break-in.

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Is slow. And beaten up..
Man this is awesome. What a struggle to get there though.

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
Man this is awesome. What a struggle to get there though.

Thanks! It's definitely been very much of a love hate relationship from time to time. I can't say the same for any other vehicle that I've owned so far, not even my other Subaru's. It's feeling like everything is finally sorted out at this point.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
What a crazy story! How did the coolant crossover shatter like that? It shattered and then the water pump sent sharpnel everywhere??!!

I'm happy to see it all built up though. Pretty damn jealous of how clean this is!!

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
Here's a few pictures of one of the greatest weekends I've had in the car in which I was able to share with some old and new friends, as well as my dad as co-driver. Team: Flat Bastards

Corvette tears where exactly..? C7 Vette running a ProCharger with 8 psi boost and meth injection > Ford Mustang GT running a ProCharger

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice

In addition to an already amazing weekend, we managed to bring home 3rd place. We later found out that there was a slight miscount and it actually should have been 2nd place. The prizes were the same for both placings anyway, and more importantly it was just great and unexpected to place at all.

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
What a crazy story! How did the coolant crossover shatter like that? It shattered and then the water pump sent sharpnel everywhere??!!

I'm happy to see it all built up though. Pretty damn jealous of how clean this is!!

It's definitely been nothing short of crazy getting through it all to brighter times and actually enjoying the car again.

The coolant crossover blew out due to that crack in the wall of cylinder #4 below the crossover port. As mentioned in the intro, I was laying into it at about 2/3 throttle merging onto the freeway one night and had a detonation event and a cloud of white due to losing a bunch of coolant. As the pictures show, I later found out that the block may have already had a small defect that caused an initial crack. That initial crack is what caused the sludge you see in those pictures. I was also getting some excessive blow-by. I believe the detonation caused the crack to open right up, resulting in the coolant crossover to receive some cylinder pressure which it is not designed for. All of the crossover shrapnel stayed outside the engine.

Thanks, at this point the pictures deceiving it actually looks better from far haha! I do have an exterior cut/polish booked for next week, so it's going to be back to looking like it should up close. 

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
I don't recall how I ever got my low-profile jack under the car prior to owning a pair of these. Low-profile jack needs more low-profile.

I was happy to finally get through all of the break-in intervals, especially since I ran one extra interval. Time to dump in the long term good stuff.

I'm very happy to report that this is the only issue I've had since the car has been back on the road. That's the LH rear sway bar mount. Minor except that one bolt broke off... uckfaying Subaru bolt-up. Heli-coil the world!

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
Prior to removing all of the sponsor stickers from the rally, I dusted off my 'real' camera as well as my skills behind the lens. Although I was quite rusty, it was fun shooting a little bit again.

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Deedz' 07 Forester XT Limited...Black Betty 2.0 Built Grocery Getter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 05:13:35 pm »
When the opportunity arises and I get out of the office, sometimes I put Black Betty 2.0 to work. I've got to recoup all of the unforeseen expenses somehow.

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • rides spanning 20 years of boosted goodness
  • Ride: Pretty much everything
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 05:41:23 pm »
Man, that prairie run looksike it would be a blast.

Beautiful foz, buddy. The problem children always end up being the most rewarding
AWDsome.

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 09:55:31 am »
Man, that prairie run looksike it would be a blast.

Beautiful foz, buddy. The problem children always end up being the most rewarding

The Prairie Run was definitely an amazing time. It stemmed from some local guys attending the Calgary Royal Rally's out into BC etc. Although Prairie Run was a huge success, the Royal Rally group seemed to have little interest in expanding out of Calgary. I definitely recommend checking out the Royal Rally events, and trying to experience one of you are ever able.

My friend who was the main organizer for the Prairie Run kicked off our very own rally for this year. It's backed by a local enthusiast group called The Redline Society. This years SK rally is the Redline Run. I can hardly wait! 

Thank you! It sure seems to go that way. I'm glad to experience some reward after the ridiculous amounts of unnecessary issues. Now the question is do I sell it. It comes in waves. When I've been in the mood or thinking of selling there isn't any interest, mostly due to being an automatic. When I decide I'm going to hang on to it then there is interest. I'm experiencing that at the moment. Literally a day after I booked an exterior detail (staged cut/polish), ordered new tires, and finally started this build thread, I got three messages from an interested party. :o

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 11:18:14 am »
Chasing my pops in his 2016 Camaro 2SS, last fall. It's going to be a blast on the Redline Run Rally this summer, as we both entered separately!

Winter Mode December 2017 (before I parked it for the rest of the winter)

Well, I bought another AWD vehicle. It's not a Subaru, it's larger and V8 powered. Such a shame to leave the Forester behind in this type of weather. However the Silverado SS is every bit as fun in the snow, if not more so with the extra power and weight to toss around.

Here is the most recent picture that I have, which was just before returning it back to it's much prettier state of "Summer Mode"

So at this point the build thread is officially up to date. Stay tuned as I have an exterior detail booked for this week as well as a professional photo session. I'm likely having a re-tune completed within the next few weeks, so I'll be sure to update on that as well.

Also, I currently have someone interested in buying it, so we'll see how that all plays out. I'm definitely on the fence. Being as I still have my STi swapped 04 WRX Sport Wagon with heavier mods, as well as two trucks now. I had been pondering selling the Forester and possibly our 02 WRX Sport Wagon to get a newer non-turbo Subaru. Preference would be to find a 2012-2014 (Pre-CVT) Outback 3.6R fully loaded with reasonable km. I've been looking for a long while though, but there are few that meet all of our wants. There are also fewer that haven't made there way from Quebec & Ontario. So many dealers here bring them in as they sell for way less out there.