Author Topic: How to completely disable VDC on 2018+ Crosstrek (and probably Impreza as well)  (Read 964 times)

Offline Hilux

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Focus RS, 2.5 RS, Mini
I have been considering a brand new Crosstrek, but there is no way I can accept a car that won't let me drive it as I see fit - so I went on a bit of a search to see what can be done. After digging through the factory wiring diagrams, I managed to find a magical fuse that will let me do just that!

It is number 37 in the drivers side dashboard fuse box, it is a 7.5 amp labeled as simply STOP.

Pulling this fuse will cause the VDC/traction control and hill holder lights to come on. It will also display a warning in the center gauge cluster display upon startup, but this goes away in a few seconds and only a yellow I icon remains for the duration of the drive. Like with the 12-17 VDC magic fuse, if done on a CVT equipped car, it will lock out the shifter and you will need to either start from neutral, press the shifter emergency release, or make your own kill switch to the fuse.

With fuse out, VDC, traction control, etc are all defeated and you can drive to your own limits of skill. Unlike the 12-17 version, this fuse does not disable ABS, which is still active. But on the plus side, it also doesn't disable cruse control or any other wanted system! This was tested on a 2018 CVT Crosstrek touring package.

https://view.joomag.com/subaru-xv-crosstrek-manuals-2018-crosstrek-owners-manual/0057545001504191114?page=436

I forgot to check this while I had the car, but I suspect the brake lights might be affected by this, so do check them before you head out on the road.  If this is the case, a second brake switch could be wired in easily enough.

Offline rustypouch

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2017 Impreza
Great to know! Even turning the traction control off, with the button on the dash, doesn't completely disable it. The VDC still comes on when pushing things.

Offline poopeebum

• Beards Comin in Nice
my biggest complaint about my 2014 impreza is that the vdc is always on and way too intrusive even in normal driving, pulling the fuse also disables the abs and cruise control. I put together a switch for that fuse to switch it on/off. However when i hit the switch it takes about 60 seconds for the VDC to disable, and will not turn back on if i hit the switch again until i turn off the ignition and restart the car.

When you pull the fuse on the new 2017+ impreza / xvs is the vdc instant off? is it instant on again when you put it back in? or do you have to shut off the car and turn the car back on?
2005 WRX Wagon with Saab bodykit

Offline Hilux

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Focus RS, 2.5 RS, Mini
Yes, It was instant off.

For your car, I would suggest trying the STOP fuse which is located in the main interior fuse box (beside the little stack with the unmarked 7.5). I did this in a 2014 Forester XT, and it was instantly ABS, VDC off - however this did also disable the brake lights, so you would need to wire a separate line to them as well.