Author Topic: Jackal's project Bardot (2001 Lexus LS430)  (Read 476 times)

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
Jackal's project Bardot (2001 Lexus LS430)
« on: August 03, 2020, 08:25:54 pm »
Recently we lost our beloved Barbarella to a deer strike.  Even with what would be considered reasonable damage to repair,  the car was written off. We set out to find a suitable replacement for her,  and thought of various cars to fill the roll.  Once you drive an LS though, it is almost impossible to imagine driving another luxury car.

The challenge with these cars is that people who know them,  keep them and drive them the million miles the cars are regularly able to drive on a reasonable maintenance schedule. The fully optioned Ultra Luxury models are often kept, and don't often come up for sale. When two came up for sale recently,  we knew we were looking at heading to the East to get one.

Bardot came up for sale in Montreal and we headed off to see her first.  As it turns out,  we didn't need to see the other.  Like Barbarella, she's a UL,  and unlike Barbarella every single option works. Every. Single. One. No rust, paint is beautiful, and she's a solid driver. A deal done, we took the 3800 km test drive home. I'm happy to say that the test drive was uneventful.

I'll look at what the plans will be in the long term.  Unlike the last UL, we don't need to repair anything before we can have some fun with it. So for now,  just a few pictures.

IMG_9797 by Duane Jacka, on Flickr

IMG_9764 by Duane Jacka, on Flickr

HTTZ2789 by Duane Jacka, on Flickr

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
Re: Jackal's project Bardot
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 08:56:04 pm »
Does it still smell like poutine and entitlement?
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 09:56:24 am »
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 10:09:44 am »
Glad you guys made it back safe. Car looks great!
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 M5 - 2015 R1
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 11:30:30 am »
Looks great!!! I miss the car meets at the Julep, they've been going on forever... guess the police are more tolerant or the people are better behaved... maybe a little of both.
The heavy four door saloon just beat the sports car.... That's the M5's job!

Offline vincent275

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 03 Lexus LS430, 17 Porsche Boxster S
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 02:44:26 pm »
Is it a 04 facelifted one? That's a gem to find.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 03:51:43 pm »
Glad you guys made it back safe. Car looks great!

Thanks! We are in love with her.

Looks great!!! I miss the car meets at the Julep, they've been going on forever... guess the police are more tolerant or the people are better behaved... maybe a little of both.

We attended one a couple years back on our last trip there,  and believe it to be a combo of both.  Great cars and the folks were awesome too.

Is it a 04 facelifted one? That's a gem to find.

This is a 2001, so first of the third gen LS.  Non facelift. I am actually more fond of the prefacelift model.  Finding a UL with lower mileage is tough,  and we feel pretty lucky to have located one in this good a condition.

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 M5 - 2015 R1
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 10:58:52 am »

We attended one a couple years back on our last trip there,  and believe it to be a combo of both.  Great cars and the folks were awesome too.

Awesome, glad you had a great time!
The heavy four door saloon just beat the sports car.... That's the M5's job!

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 02:35:49 pm »
The car looks amazing, and the road trip looked like quite the adventure! I'm jealous!

What is the mileage on her?

Also, you need to get those works on the car asap ;)

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 04:38:58 pm »
The car looks amazing, and the road trip looked like quite the adventure! I'm jealous!

What is the mileage on her?

Also, you need to get those works on the car asap ;)

Thanks.

She has 170k on her.... so barely broken in. lol

The Works are nice,  but they have some damage on one of them,  and these Fasts are flawless.  The thought is that we'll be using the Work wheels as our winters. Somebody, somewhere will be triggered. lol

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 01:00:22 pm »
The attitude of a car is greatly determined by the altitude of the car.

Yesterday after hitting a show with Kirsten's FRS,  we came home and got to work on Bardot.  First up was the second stage of a leather rejuvenation that takes 24 hours.  We used a Leatherique product to oil the leather (there is a itshay ton) on Friday and let that sit overnight. Then we used the cleaner to remove all the contaminates brought to the surface by the oiling. It seems counter intuitive as most leather restoring is cleaning first, then oiling.... however the results speak for themselves. It is mighty pricey,  but I strongly recommend the Leatherique products.  Even 24 hours after finishing the work,  the leather continues to soften up and feel as luxurious as the first day out.

I also took apart the dash to get to one of the 5 ECU's in the car that controls the air suspension.  In went the Data Control system that gives me more complete control over the altitude.  I have to set some limits for it yet,  but my first test run gave me the look I want.  Some rear camber may be needed though to fully tuck in the lowered ride height.

Bardot altitude by Duane Jacka, on Flickr

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 01:03:30 pm »
Earlier this week she also got a headlight restoration.  I sanded them with an  800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 grit before a full polish.  I'm pleased with the results so far.  I'm looking for a good clear coat now to make sure it lasts longer than 4 weeks.

Restoration by Duane Jacka, on Flickr

Restoration by Duane Jacka, on Flickr

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
Re: Jackal's project Bardot (2001 Lexus LS430)
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 11:39:09 am »
Instead of the clear coat why not just get them clear filmed? If you get a good product (Xpel) they typically last for 10 years.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 11:57:24 am »
Meguiars has a clear coat for headlights ive been wanting to try out, maybe look into that?

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 10:32:03 am »
Lame update to be sure,  but the forum helps me keep track of dates. Winter mode was engaged this past weekend. We had the Work Schwert SC3's from Barbarella as her summer wheels,  but Bardot has some perfect Fast's on her.  That means that the Works are Bardot's new winter wheels. A set of Pirelli Wintersotto 3's I found on kijiji round out the package.

Untitled by Duane Jacka, on Flickr

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 11:18:50 am »
I wonder what those will feel like full of snow. I wonder if you'd even notice.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 12:49:16 pm »
I wonder what those will feel like full of snow. I wonder if you'd even notice.

I likely won't even notice. 

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 08:24:53 pm »
Instead of the clear coat why not just get them clear filmed? If you get a good product (Xpel) they typically last for 10 years.

I also recommend this.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube