Author Topic: 2008 Impreza Swap  (Read 807 times)

Offline Blankman000007

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 9906 RSTi
2008 Impreza Swap
« on: July 14, 2018, 02:47:25 pm »
With the hopes of actually finishing a build thread I thought I would document and post as I go instead of trying to do everything at the end like last time, so we'll see if this round goes any better...

The Car: 2008 Impreza 2.5I Sport

The Build: Swapping in the drivetrain from a 2006 STi

The Why: I'm a car person, my 99 RSTi is experiencing some structural rust issues, I want to preserve the heart and soul of the car I worked so hard to build and I really like to look of the GH hatch.

Key details: The body of the 08 is in fairly good condition but it has an engine that sounds like death with the flu so it made a great candidate for the swap. There is bound to be someone who asks, "why are you bothering with doing a swap just buy an STi or buy ___________" and frankly you're missing the point. As a car person I appreciate the journey more than the destination and this is the path I have chosen. If you're not going to post something positive and actually useful go be a keyboard warrior somewhere else.

Day 1: It begins

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
Re: 2008 Impreza Swap
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 06:50:51 pm »
I have a soft spot for the 08 2.5i hatch since that's the car I originally wanted a decade ago.

What's your plan for the wiring? I know swaps of newer engines into older cars need a bunch of canbus, etc adapters to keep body components working. Hopefully you don't have to wire up canbus transceivers & microcontrollers to adapt the old ECU to the new components.

Offline Blankman000007

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 9906 RSTi
Re: 2008 Impreza Swap
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 08:29:11 pm »
Day 2: Interior disassembly starts

The current plan with wiring, and mostly everything else for the swap, is to move as much of the 06 components from the last build into the 08. I'm toying with the idea of merging the two harnesses but I would like to avoid that if possible as once you start cutting it exponentially increases the risk of issues.