Author Topic: 2007 Forester XT Idling Issues  (Read 799 times)

Offline dxnnie

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2007 Forester XT Sports
2007 Forester XT Idling Issues
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:41:47 pm »
Hey everyone, I really need some help. After a few weeks of troubleshooting on and off, I can't seem to figure out the cause of my stumbling idle. Here are the facts laid out at organized as possible, let me know if I am missing any information. Thanks in advance for the help!

2007 Forester XT Sports (~180,000 kms) with the following modifications;
  • VF43 STi Turbo
  • Cobb Catted DP
  • Invidia Q300 exhaust
  • STi TMIC
  • Torque Solutions fuel rail with parallel fuel lines
  • Cobb AP3 with the OTS stage 3 tune
  • Secondary Air Pump Delete
  • Koyo Radiator
  • Mishimoto Turbo Inlet
  • Grimspeed Intercooler Hose
  • Light weight flywheel
  • NGK Irdium spark plugs

Symptoms;
  • P0171 - lean code
  • P030-1/2/3/4 - respective cylinder misfire codes
  • Stumbling idle (1000rpm to stalling)
  • No hesitation under boost or during any throttle

Background;
Has been running great for the past year-ish. I did a road trip to BC, where they had no 94 octane gas, so I was forced to run 91 with octane booster. Once I reached Calgary and hit a red light, the idle felt a bit stumbly and it immediately threw a P0171 lean code.

Attempts at fixing;
  • Front O2 Sensor
  • Rear O2 Sensor
  • HKS Air Filter
  • Brand new DENSO MAF
  • Checked for vacuum leaks using a boost leak tester
  • Ran a few tanks of gas with fuel injector cleaner

After I swapped the MAF, and reset the ECU, the car would barely start. Once it did the RPM's would continually jump from 1000rpm (kind of stumbling) to 2000rpm. I only left it on for a few minutes just in case something was terribly wrong, so that's as far as I've gotten.

Further possible fixes;
  • Fuel pump & filter - clogged maybe? I was planning to swap this for a Walboro 255 anyways
  • Broken PCV Valve assembly - when I pulled my manifold, I noticed it was pretty gunky; I've already ordered a new one.
  • Malfunctioning throttle body - I'll clean this as well as look for any faulty hoses

I can't really think of anything else. Started this thread to document my woes, and hopefully, someone can chime in and I can get back on the road! Luckily, I'm not dependent on my car nowadays, but I'm in Fort McMurray and unsure of any trustworthy shops as a last resort.

Tomorrow I may let the car idle, in hopes that it was just relearning the idle with the new MAF, but I wanted to get some feedback before potentially causing more damage.

My hopes are to get it nice and reliable (again) before putting it under the hot knife for a new paint job, then either build out a brand new short block, or cry of bankruptcy.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.