Author Topic: GB for cryo-treated brake rotors - support Canadian made products & services!  (Read 651 times)

Offline JDMMAN

• Patchy Faced
Who would be interested in a Group Buy for cryo-treated brake rotors? (please note that the Admins/Moderators have been informed about this GB already and I have received approvals to post).  This GB is geared towards folks in Calgary, however it's open to the rest of the province, and will likely require the use of the WSC courier service to minimize shipping costs.  I will look into whether or not it's possible to drop-ship from the cryo-treatment facilities.  Alternatively, I do frequent Edmonton once every 4-6 weeks and it would be possible if there are enough participants in Edmonton to make a trip up as long as fuel is covered by those who need deliveries.

Note that I've ran 10+ GB's on i-Club & NASIOC in the past so I do have experience around this, with every GB being successful.

I've personally be using cryo-treated rotors for years, and compared to non-cryo'd rotors, they've easily lasted at least twice as long even under spirited use (ie. lapping days & auto-x etc.) For street use, I have gone through 3 sets of fairly aggressive (Hawk HPS, HP+ and Ferrodo DS2500) pads and still haven't worn down a set of cross-drilled rotors to their minimum thickness.

This is partly a "buy-Canadian" initiative, where the rotors are manufactured and all value-added functions (ie. machining, balancing, cryo treatment etc.) will be done here in Canada; in fact in Alberta.

Rotors are equal in quality to the Centric/Stoptech Premium line of rotors with the following features: (anti-rust coating, double disc ground, machined finishes, symmetric vane castings and mill balancing).

Rotors are available either plain or cross-drilled (extra cost). All rotors will feature anti-rust coatings and cryo treatment.

For comparison sake:

A pair of plain cryo-treated rotors in 294x24mm from Frozen Rotors is $191.20USD + shipping (or ~$250CAD + shipping, GST and now 10-25% additional duties due to the trade tariffs levied between Canada & the US).

A pair of plain cryo-treated rotors of the same size made by the Canadian manufacture for p/u in Calgary is $275CAD + GST.

However, for the GB, I've been able to negotiate the following deal (utilizing the same specifications plain rotors).
5 participants (for 5 pairs) = $250 + GST p/u in Calgary
10 participants (for 10 pairs) = $225 incl GST p/u in Calgary
15 participants (for 15 pairs) = $224 incl GST p/u in Calgary
20 participants (for 20 pairs) = $215 incl GST p/u in Calgary

For those who want x-drilled rotors, please add $50 to the above at the various tiers. (294x24mm)

For those who have 5x100 Brembos, don't despair, these are available too and count towards the overall "count" of participants. Prices below are the same for 5x114.3 as well for those wanting to participate.

A pair of plain cryo-treated rotors in 326x30mm from Frozen Rotors is $281.30USD +shipping (or ~$367CAD + shipping, GST and additional tariffs)
5 participants (for 5 pairs) = $350 + GST p/u in Calgary
10 participants (for 10 pairs) = $350 incl GST p/u in Calgary
15 participants (for 15 pairs) = $333 incl GST p/u in Calgary
20 participants (for 20 pairs) = $316 incl GST p/u in Calgary
For those who want x-drilled rotors, please add $75 to the above at the various tiers. (326x30mm).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To participate in the GB, please follow the steps below:

(1) Respond to this thread with your vehicle application and the rotor choice (plain or cross-drilled) PM me if you want the matching rear rotors for your application.

(2) a 50% deposit of the minimum # of participants will be required; I will float the rest of the funds personally to help out with the GB (I'm going to get 2 sets as well for the family fleet, so it's in my best interest as well that things are successful and we reach the #'s required for the maximum discount). Payment options listed below.

(3) Once the rotors are ready for p/u, the remaining balance (reflecting the discount achieved - the original deposit) will be required via payment options listed below.

(4) The GB will be only left open for 2 weeks time to allow for folks to participate. Turn-around time is expected to be approximately 2-3 weeks from the time the GB is closed. (GB anticipated to close Aug 29th, 2018)

Payment options:

Deposit - Email Interact, or Paypal (+3% Paypal fee). For those who need to use Credit Card, either Paypal will be required, or I will investigate the cost of accepting Credit Card via a system like Square. If there are enough people wanting to use credit card, I may need to partner-up with a trusted vendor to use their payment processing system.

Final Balance - Email Interact, Paypal (+3% Paypal fee) prior to pick-up; or Cash on p/u in person.

P/U will be in NW Calgary (at the Hampton Co-Op gas station) for convenience sake.

Offline JDMMAN

• Patchy Faced
Ok for those who are wondering what the costs will be if you decide to get F&R's. I've provided the GB details in a spreadsheet below.  Please note that I've posted this on FB too to increase the # of participants.  If you're participating there, no need to post here.

Things to note:
(1) All prices w/in the spreadsheet are reflective of the text above, hence all prices indicated are including GST and assumes payment via Email Interact or Cash; Paypal is still subject to the transaction fee if you so choose to use Paypal.

(2) For Cross-Drilling; please note that the cost is $75 per pair for the >300mm rotors (ie. STi sizes) and $50 per pair for <300mm rotors (ie non-STi).

(3) For the STi rotors, prices are the same for either 5x100 or 5x114.3 pending your vehicle's requirements.

(4) For those in other parts of Alberta, if you would like to participate, shipping costs to your location will be extra; that said, if there are enough people in Edmonton (or Red Deer), for the cost of fuel back and forth to Calgary being split between those participants, I can deliver to a centralized point in Edmonton (and yes, Red Deer too on the way up or back from Edmonton).  Alternatively, the WSC courier maybe quicker and less expensive.

Online 10secdream

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Does this only apply to Subaru rotors or can the other half of WSC contribute with our non Subarus.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Does this only apply to Subaru rotors or can the other half of WSC contribute with our non Subarus.

Dis.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline JDMMAN

• Patchy Faced
10secdream - PM me with what you have and I can inquire if they manufacture rotors for your application.  The costs will be slightly different pending physical weight/size of the rotors, as the cryo treatment is completed on a weight basis and shipping on a volumetric basis.

LilDrunkenSmurf - as above, please PM me with what you're looking for and I'll check if they manufacture it.

Offline JDMMAN

• Patchy Faced
<BUMP> 8 days left till the GB closes!  We've got 3 participants thus far.  I will pick-up additional sets to make the 5 participants if required, but hopefully we can hit the 10 mark!

Offline JDMMAN

• Patchy Faced
4 more days left till the GB closes!

Offline JDMMAN

• Patchy Faced
Looks like no takers from WSC.  I'm picking up some extra sets to hit the first tier discounts, so may end up selling off what I don't use at a later point in time.