Author Topic: tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero (+2005 RB2) (+2014 Tundra) (+Grand Cherokee)  (Read 12091 times)

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
Re: tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2020, 09:09:46 pm »
Ohh for sure that's the thing. A block heater or the lower rad hose I guess the coolant has this great big huge chunk of metal cooling it down so by the time it reaches the top of the engine it's probably the same temp as the metal... Blows my mind that people live in climates that aren't ours hahah.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2020, 09:18:00 pm »
Ohh for sure that's the thing. A block heater or the lower rad hose I guess the coolant has this great big huge chunk of metal cooling it down so by the time it reaches the top of the engine it's probably the same temp as the metal... Blows my mind that people live in climates that aren't ours hahah.

The first day it wouldn't start it was -38, -51 with the wind and only a 250w oil pan heater trying to warm that huge chunk of engine. It blows my mind I live in a place where that temperature extreme exists lol.

Also, when installing that heater it said "install in lower rad hose" and I thought.. stupid instructions. Well, who is stupid now!
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2020, 05:06:19 pm »

Out fissin'

Off topic, can someone in BC please buy this?

I was so close to buying it, but I don't think it would pass an OOP in its current condition. It is a 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero Jr. Lynx and the dude wants 2000$ for it. It is rough, it was been his bush rig... but also look at it. It is so awesome!
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2002 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2020, 06:15:50 pm »
Off topic, can someone in BC please buy this?

I was so close to buying it, but I don't think it would pass an OOP in its current condition. It is a 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero Jr. Lynx and the dude wants 2000$ for it. It is rough, it was been his bush rig... but also look at it. It is so awesome!

Link? I may know somebody interested if its relatively close by...
2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017
2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatchback - Sold 01/04/2022

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2020, 06:58:33 pm »
Link? I may know somebody interested if its relatively close by...

Unfortunately Facebook sale, and it’s long gone (as in I can't find the original ad). I will pm you the dudes name on facebook, thedude.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #130 on: April 02, 2020, 04:07:43 pm »
Made into art by @WAGOWN

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2020, 08:53:37 am »

Forgot how good the summer wheel / tire combo looks.

Beside the evo 3 wheel.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2020, 01:55:44 pm »
50,000 km update:

We did it. Still apart from not loving the cold it has been good to me. Noticed a torn CV axle when I changed the tires, so that sucks. Captive rotors, pain in the assay to change, have to remove wheel bearings and biz so I will do front rotors at the same time.

Also picked up this set of lights for cheap cheap. I was looking for round lights for the truck to be more period correct, but I really didn't know just how massive these lights were until I got them from my buddy (who had them on his old work truck).

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2020, 04:06:32 pm »

Update, at 129,000 km. Driving a lot less due to covid.

Still haven't gotten around to changing CV axles / brakes yet.

Ordered some brembo rotors and pads from rock auto as well as cardone CV axles. This will probably be a mistake 1-2 years down the road when I cuss out past Travis for this plan, but the CV axles were stupid cheap. Passenger side (the one that is ripped) was 200$ shipped, the drivers side (going to do at same time) was 34$ on rockauto as they were clearing the inventory.

Plan was to just put these in for the time being and order OEM rebuild kits for the OEM CV axles that are in there. Watched a couple videos and they looked like kind of a pain in the butt to re-build, so I didn't want to be stuck in a position of needing to successfully rebuild the CV before getting the truck on the road again.

Yes, that is a piece of tape covering a chip in my glass headlight.

Also didn't install all those lights, they are so big I am not sure if I will use two small ones.. two big ones, try and use all 4 somehow, or do nothing. I am finding I don't have a lot of motivation to mess around with the truck.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2020, 04:13:21 pm »
Also didn't install all those lights, they are so big I am not sure if I will use two small ones.. two big ones, try and use all 4 somehow, or do nothing. I am finding I don't have a lot of motivation to mess around with the truck.

ussypay...
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2020, 04:26:03 pm »
ussypay...

I don't know why but I just couldn't be bothered.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #136 on: June 23, 2020, 04:26:51 pm »
I don't know why but I just couldn't be bothered.

Ya man, way she goes. The 'Rona ruins another car.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #137 on: June 23, 2020, 04:32:40 pm »

Here is the deal:

Pajero: Daily, just want to drive it and not do anything lol.

6 car: I hate having any amount of downtime so I don't want to do anything. I have had mud flaps to install for 4 years now. If there is a nice day I want to drive it. Plus its so dang good I just don't feel like it needs anything?

3 car: lots to do, I like making it better, but it is at autobody.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2020, 04:47:32 pm »
Here is the deal:

Pajero: Daily, just want to drive it and not do anything lol.

6 car: I hate having any amount of downtime so I don't want to do anything. I have had mud flaps to install for 4 years now. If there is a nice day I want to drive it. Plus its so dang good I just don't feel like it needs anything?

3 car: lots to do, I like making it better, but it is at autobody.

I said my piece, and I stand by it:

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2020, 01:40:48 pm »

Felt cute, might delete later idk

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2020, 01:55:15 pm »
Felt cute, might delete later idk

I can only get so erect.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2020, 02:19:49 pm »
When I got the truck you may remember me detailing it, then ceramic coating. When I was doing that I noticed on the roof that there was some fade, at the time seemed like clear coat fade and came out cherry. Then I ceramic coated the rig and figured it was done with. Well, the last couple months my parking stall just bakes in the sun, and it has been raining like mad.

Well guess whose back!

I have a new polisher now, with better pads and biz so it looks a lot nicer than last time I did it... but I expect it will come back again.

Lightly wet sanded with 3000 grit some of the worse areas, then polished with a cutting compound, and followed that with a polish. After all that, I used some Sonax two stage ceramic coat... so we will see how it goes. Might have to start calling it patina soon.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2020, 03:37:25 pm »
Might be worth putting a layer of xpel on the roof to cut out the UV's, sooner or later you're going to run out of clear coat.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2020, 07:01:04 pm »
Might be worth putting a layer of xpel on the roof to cut out the UV's, sooner or later you're going to run out of clear coat.

Yeah, I was thinking that or just wait to paint it. I think the issue is it has already ran out of clear.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2020, 09:46:21 am »
Spent most of my day Saturday catching up on the appearance of this rig.

Filled in some rock chips, washed it, applied a silicone sealer as a refresher for the Sonax, then went through vacuumed, little green machined

Winters are sure hard on things.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2020, 07:47:36 pm »
Looks good man.  Have you ever thought of putting yellow film on those fogs or would that be too rice?
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2020, 08:49:43 am »
Looks good man.  Have you ever thought of putting yellow film on those fogs or would that be too rice?
You can then hang out with 10secscream

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2020, 09:14:01 am »

I thought about it but seems like a Subaru thing, and the fogs are so tiny it would probably look funny to have two little pin heads yellow in the bumper.

You can then hang out with 10secscream

I also noticed he didn't respond to my "Next time I am in Sherwood Park we should go for a cruise" comment  :'(

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2020, 12:25:44 pm »
I thought about it but seems like a Subaru thing, and the fogs are so tiny it would probably look funny to have two little pin heads yellow in the bumper.

I also noticed he didn't respond to my "Next time I am in Sherwood Park we should go for a cruise" comment  :'(

I read it in my head and responded with a heck ya. I also have 2 types / colors of yellow vinyl on hand if you decide to go that route.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2020, 10:16:30 am »

Did some broverlanding this weekend. And by that I mean drove down some roads to visit family in SK social distancing style. Somehow I managed to do it without a roof top tent or roof rack, zero auxilary lighting. What haters would tell you is impossible to do with an SUV with ample interior space.

While passing through a small town in central 'Berta some dude stopped me at the gas station and was complimenting the Pajero, and eventually said "my sister has one sitting at her house she probably is never going to do anything with and would like to sell." Gave me some directions and told me to stop in.

Stopped in yesterday and need to figure out what to do with it. Frame is pretty rotten from sitting in that grass and being winter driven here for last 10 years. It is a 1993, has 230,000 km.. and really doesn't have a whole lot I would use. It ran until parked but a few months ago she tried to move it and it wouldn't start... but that said I am pretty sure she would take scrap pricing for it. It does have 5.28 gears which are pretty hard to come by, and if I was ever to make Pajero dedicated hunting rig those would be the gears to have. 2" body lift and I could spin 35's like it was nothing on stock power with my 5 speed.