Author Topic: tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero (+2005 RB2) (+2014 Tundra) (+Grand Cherokee)  (Read 12101 times)

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Subaru WRX STi Tommy Kaira M20b; 2019 Ascent Touring
Re: tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2018, 03:03:57 pm »
There are inevitably nicer cars than yours in the background when you use Braveauto.

Brave is for sure the best in the business.

The Pajero is hot.
Looking at getting one in the future myself.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2018, 04:43:48 pm »
Supposed to arrive in Vancouver on September 20th, by any luck I will have it near end of month / early next month.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2018, 07:30:50 pm »
Welp, finally arrived.

Was filthy since the storms in BC.

New fluids and filters and blah blah.

Pretty good shape, it was so dirty when I got it I didn't really know.

Cool tool kit in the back door

Cool flash light in the back

Previous owner left all the inspections, and some touch up paint in the glove box. Air filter, all the fluids look fresh. I think it was cared for, which is good.

Ash trays for everyone!

A place for all my cassettes!

I picked it up late wednesday night and them left friday morning for a wedding in BC, so I haven't gotten to drive it much. Hopefully sometime this week I can get the OOP done and good get to drive it around some more.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2018, 08:28:25 pm »
Yeah sweet.  I'll give you some tape mixes next time I'm up.  Congrats again!
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 09:09:16 pm »
Yeah sweet.  I'll give you some tape mixes next time I'm up.  Congrats again!

Don't have the cassette player anymore! R.I.P

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 08:02:15 am »
The fenders on this thing are sex.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 08:37:21 am »
The fenders on this thing are sex.

Agreed, when I seen it at auction that was definitely one of the things that made me throw out a bid.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2018, 11:09:21 pm »
Failed the OOP inspection? Why? Baby cracks in the tires that didn't concern me in the least. In other news, camera on phone still broken so pictures still look potato in quality.

Anyways, took some nimble navigating to pass, borrowed a set of tires from internet stranger.

I also raised the front a bit

Anyways, I swapped my other tires back on for the time being.

I found this under the rear seats, which all fold in mysterious ways.

Picked up some winter tires, which I will be getting studded and mounted this weekend:

I took it about 1000 km this weekend to go hunting, and get some tires, etc. First impressions, it is good. Fuel economy isn't as terrible as I expected due to barge status, probably GDI magic. I almost got 700 km out of 80L. It chewed through a lot more gas hunting than on the highway, it would be interesting to see how much kms you could get out of a highway tank.

I felt this weekend was a rude awakening to race tank, that it no longer has cushy Tokyo life, and I think it is fine with it. Ran well, no new noises, reliable. 4wd works good, the different systems of 4wd feel noticeably different but take a long time to engage. Also, it does kind of suck to wash, many nooks and crannies. I will also say that it is much more spacious than Tacoma, hunting gear has tons of extra space.

It also has metal skid plates that start at the front, end briefly at the end of the transfer case, and then cover the gas tank in the rear.

Looks like some historic leaks, the front one looks like it was from the oil filter at some point, the rear one seems to be from the front diff at one point.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2018, 09:21:59 pm »
Living with Pajero for a while, is good, starts and runs well, I quite like it.

GRIPES: Cup holders are brutal (not pictured), window regulators and motors suck (typical Mitsubishi), rear right was broke when I got it, front right sounds to be dying. Car has auto up and down for all windows, which isn't optional from NA model, so I have had to order Japanese regulator to fix old window. Should be fun when motor on front dies.

The fuel gauge is whack af. For the first 150km it stays on full, then around 350-400km it is around 1/2 tank... then the 1/3 below the 1/2 line just tanks in like 80-100km, then it just lives at 1/8 tank left for a while. I need to carry a jerry can and just see what it will do at some point.

Other than that, pretty great.

Here are some pictures:
Studded the winter wheels!

First chicken (killed while driving the Pajero, not by the Pajero):

The end of bow hunting is upon us! Hopefully it will be better prepped next season.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2018, 06:40:36 pm »

Got many snows.

Activated hover tank

Installed winters

These are some funky wheels

, on Flickr
Winter wheels on tank, I ordered some bigger ones. 265/70/16 (old), 265/75/16 (new). They fit well!

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2018, 10:46:25 pm »
:O  Impressive, but why did you wait till it snowed?

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2018, 11:10:15 pm »
:O  Impressive, but why did you wait till it snowed?

Last time I was at my parents house, where my tire guy is, it was +13 and not forecasting snow for over two weeks, and the tires had brand new studs. We both agreed waiting another two weeks until the next time I was up would be better.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 10:34:20 pm »
Zestino Canada was having a sale to clear some inventory, so, they were offering (are offering if anyone needs) 235/40/17 and 235/45/17 for 75$ a tire, 65$ an tire if you buy 8 or more. So, I talked some chump into thinking he needed a set, and we both got sets for 273$.

PSA, Fatjero fits 8 tires, it would for sure fit 12, and if you were super keen you could fit 16. If you were ridiculously keen you could get a roof rack and move many tires.

Pajero tires for scale

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2018, 01:22:08 am »
(are offering if anyone needs)

Hol up... I don't see anything on the website?
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2018, 06:42:35 am »
That's tempting. I could use some nicer tires on the GTI
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2018, 08:55:24 am »
The sale is only on the Gredge 07 RR (180TW), sizes available are 235/40/17, 235/45/17, and 255/35/18 (100$/tire).

It was first come, first serve, if you buy 8 or more an additional 10$ per tire, try contacting sales@zestinotirescanada.com or check their facebook, they responded very quickly over facebook, Zestino Tires Canada.

Alternatively, let me know which size you want and maybe if I get them for you they'd still be 10$ off per tire (as I have technically already bought eight).

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2018, 09:11:22 am »
Personally I probably won’t buy Zestino tires again, they are by far the worst for road noise, driveablity (super stiff sidewalks) and my current set has some major tread cracking on two tires and when I asked them about it they sent me a photo of a completely bald Toyo R888 for comparison to show me its “fine”.

Good deal for $273 tho.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2018, 09:41:34 am »
Personally I probably won’t buy Zestino tires again, they are by far the worst for road noise, driveablity (super stiff sidewalks) and my current set has some major tread cracking on two tires and when I asked them about it they sent me a photo of a completely bald Toyo R888 for comparison to show me its “fine”.

Good deal for $273 tho.

Hmm, interesting! For the most part I have heard good things about them grip wise. I still have my re71r's on my gold Advans. I just needed a fresh set of tires for my bronze wheels and for 273$ I figured they would be decent enough.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2018, 09:55:23 am »
I've had none of those issues on my Zestinos, including the road noise. Comparing against the Michelin PSS in a convertible.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2018, 04:11:49 pm »
So, I talked some chump into thinking he needed a set, and we both got sets for 273$.

lol which fool did you sucker into this deal? 

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2018, 05:04:12 pm »

Good deal for $273 tho.

I saw a set of zestinos at the shop a couple weeks ago, and all 4 of the tires had that same crack across the tread. Seems like a common issue for these tires.

Again, that said, still a really good tire for the price in terms of grip. The tread wear on the tires seems decent too

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2019, 12:35:00 pm »
Did some more maintenance to the old rig;

When I got it, if you'll remember the rear right window was not working. When you hit the button it would make some terrible noises, ordered a same year montero replacement that was wrong (due to having auto up and down in the Pajero which wasn't on the monteros), had to get a new track from Amayama (old one the guide wire had fell off the spool). Anyways, after replacing it, the window no longer knows where the top is for auto up.

So, if I hit auto up it goes up, reaches the top, decides it must be squishing someone's arm, then goes down. Sometimes there is a button on the motor which you can adjust the span.. go all the way up, hold button, go all the way down, hold button and then it should remember. This doesn't have that. The montero FSM shows a limiting switch that physically makes contact on the top and bottom, and you can adjust that. I couldn't find that either, so last hope was that with the door button plugged in, going up and down a few times it would then learn where up and down was; but that also didn't work. So I guess I am just living with it.

Of course the old poly was fragile and exploded when I touched it, went and grabbed some from a dumpster at a construction site to replace it.

Really, since getting it I haven't had this door card on.

Next was addressing stereo, no wonder it sounded so bad as the old rubber had deteriorated around the front cones.. and neither of the tweeters were working.

New rears (weren't that easy to get to):

There was this big AC unit back there which provides AC through the rear vent (controlled by either from climate control or rear)

Installed above that:

Fronts were a little more work, went with a component speaker with an external crossover. So, I needed to run wire to them, then to the speaker and tweeter. I also installed some sound deadener in the door, which I then 3m 2 sided taped the itshay out of the back of the crossovers and stuck them to.. hopefully that holds up. It honestly did seem very sturdy, but if it lasts the first -40 day when the glue is brittle and then the first +30 day.. I will feel more confident in that.

Just utilized the front buckets for the speakers, originals were 5 1/4" so I had to cut some of the back out of it and make new screw holes.

Sounds much much better. I can actually hear my music now.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2019, 01:29:37 pm »
Next was addressing 4wd shifter. I could not for the life of me get it into 4 low, couldn't figure out how to do it, and so I got to reading and found a common issue with a bushing in the shifter deteriorating to nothing.  Sure enough, mine was missing entirely, and only some chunks of the old one remained.

I needed to remove the shifter, which shouldn't have been a big deal.. but I guess I didn't read enough because I made quite the mistake.

It turns out that those "studs" aren't actually studs. So, when I removed the shifter, I noticed one dropped down a little bit. As quick and gently as I could I put nuts onto two of them, but when I touched the third one it just dropped and I heard a splash. Dropped a bolt right into the top of the transfer case.

So, getrag trans as far as I know, I don't know who to blame for this design. But I do blame myself as well.

Guess which one fell.

I eventually got the bolt out, but talk about stress lol. I tried from the top with magnets to no avail. I removed the drain and fill bolts and searched around in there with magnets to no avail. Finally, I removed an inspection cover on the transfer case and it was sitting there right at the bottom. What a roller coaster, I was sure I was going to have to pull the t case.

Of course I didn't have that gasket, and i went and tried to make a new gasket from felpro material I got from the store, but on a sunday without a punch I couldn't get the holes right without having burrs. I tried drilling them, then tried sandwiching the gasket between two boards and drilling through everything, still didn't really work. In the end I took the advice of people who have done this exact thing and just cleaned everything really well an used black permatex. A week later it is still bone dry so I would say that was successful.

First look at where the bushing used to be, you can see chunks of red in this picture as well as the one showing the studs.

New bushing:

The 97-99 gen 2.5 (blister fenders) are plagued with this bushing. Years prior were a white poly bushing which didn't break down in this same way. Those shifters are interchangeable, but I got the new bushing for 9$ off amayama. Disassembly of the shifter itself was pretty straight foreward, but I had to bring it to a machine shop and borrow a press to get the pin that holds the bushing out.

After all that, shifting in the t case feels good as new, very crisp.. and I still didn't know how to get into 4 low. If you look at the shift lever, seems to be a magical step to get into 4llc (4 low lock)

Turns out you have to push the lever down about an inch, and them move it frontwards.

I also broke the cup holder basically immediately, but was able to find a new OEM one and put it in the other with some gaskets, plastic clips, etc. Things I knew I would need to replace doing the shifter and clips I expected to break doing the stereo.

I also was given this cup holder that just slides into the seats, which I use now.
Untitled by Travis Perkins, on Flickr

And finally I installed a 400w oil pan heater. I am going to get a timer so it turns on an hour and a half before I typically start it.

Out on the lake after all the assembly!

Next to do is install a cell phone booster that I got for Christmas.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2019, 02:53:52 pm »
Installed a cell phone booster that I got for Christmas,

The antenna that came with it is very low energy and sad, I was recommended to get the upgraded antenna, and I decided to fender mount it so that it wouldn't get wiped off the roof by branches. For those with a 2nd gen Pajero (lol) a 2017 super duty mount works a treat, just needed to massage hole a bit.

Ran wire through firewall, had to drill a hole, was sad. But I painted it, rubber grommet, silly cone to keep out the moistures

Mounted auxilary 12v on passenger door kick.. might make it work with a switch later that can be used when vehicle is turned off, for now it works just with a the key.

Made use of cassette holder under passenger seat

Little cutie antenna

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2019, 09:49:11 pm »
Well, I have put about 14,000km on this unit so far. Trouble free so far.

Annoying thing happens when snow melts off the side and drains into fuel cap, which freezes closed.