Author Topic: tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero (+2005 RB2) (+2014 Tundra) (+Grand Cherokee)  (Read 12104 times)

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Re: tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2019, 11:55:39 pm »
Just lube up with this and you good to go

https://youtu.be/2JqFDdvZgHM?t=60
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2019, 12:06:11 pm »

Couple pics from ice fishing.

Story time!
When I first imported, priced out some wheels that I liked the styling of. From what I remember it was going to work out to about 120$ per wheel (x5). So, in my head I had been preparing to spend about that much on these wheels. When I finally went to order them, thanks to all the winning in America, those wheels are closer to 220$ by the time they're shipped and imported now.

Screenshot I found when I first seen them

Long story short, have these wheels coming: 4 wheel parts was having a deal of buy 3 get one free, and they were also paying the GST. So I ordered some lift springs for the rear at the same time (about 1" is what people see).

84$ per wheel shipped (free shipping when you pick up in store)! Hard to argue. I am curious how they will fit, they're 16x8 -6, stockers are 16x7 +10. So I am gaining a little over 1" of poke.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2019, 01:59:23 pm »
I actually have those exact wheels on my Duramax too, I really like them.

Can’t go wrong for the $75/wheel I paid.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2019, 04:24:14 pm »
I actually have those exact wheels on my Duramax too, I really like them.

Can’t go wrong for the $75/wheel I paid.

I don’t have little red stripes
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

DaDuke99

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2019, 04:27:10 pm »
Red stripes will rule the world

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2019, 05:19:51 pm »
Red stripes do work well on the wheel.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2019, 07:21:33 pm »
Red stripes do work well on the wheel.

Funny story, I originally wanted the american racing steelies so I could have my red and blue stripe back (like on Tacoma).

To get these in 16x7.. 112$, to get 16x8 202$ lol.
https://www.4wheelparts.ca/Wheels/Wheels.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=535&t_pt=101508&Construction_PQ=Steel&Manufacturer_PQ=American+Racing+Wheels&Bolt+Pattern_PQ=6+on+5.5&Wheel+Diameter_PQ=16+Inches

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2019, 11:31:18 am »
https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/corporate/pressrelease/corporate/detail215.html

Cool press release from back in the day. Mitsubishi reintroduced GDI into automotive engines in 1996. Between 2009 and 2015 the number of GDI engines in new vehicles jumped from 5 to 46% of new vehicles in 2015 were sporting a GDI engine, can't find anything more recent but I would assume still an upward trend.

So far the engine has been good, reliable, its got some decent power. Fuel economy has been pretty varying, interesting to see what its like in summer.

My best fuel up was 8.8L/100 km, that was straight highway driving on a nice day. I have seen quite a few tanks around the 10L/100km, but I would say my average is 12L/100km this winter. Now, I have seen as bad as 16L/100km depending how much I am idling it when it is -40 and driving around the city lol.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2019, 11:06:58 pm »
Wheels showed up!

And these little numbers! Should be anywhere from 1/2" to 1" of lift, your results may vary.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2019, 11:29:43 pm »
RIP lil Taco  :'(

Thanks again for letting me try the Pajero!  Signal wipers for days
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2019, 08:21:07 am »

Signal wipers is definitely a thing, same with high beam washer fluid.

Does that mean you got your tires? :P
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2019, 10:47:41 am »

Tacoma is still out there living, I think it is for sale right now. New owner welded up the frame, put on a canopy, made a little platform in the box for sleeping / storing things. Got new tires and wheels! Changed the clutch and the timing belt :)

Signal wipers is definitely a thing, same with high beam washer fluid.

Does that mean you got your tires? :P

Tires gone! You will just have to come hang out for the purpose of shooting the itshay now. You can also drive Pajero

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2019, 11:29:22 am »
Goddamn I love this thing.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2019, 02:20:17 pm »
Tacoma is still out there living, I think it is for sale right now. New owner welded up the frame, put on a canopy, made a little platform in the box for sleeping / storing things. Got new tires and wheels! Changed the clutch and the timing belt :)

Tires gone! You will just have to come hang out for the purpose of shooting the itshay now. You can also drive Pajero

New Taco owner wasn't fooling around!

Sweet, cannot wait!
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2019, 02:42:00 pm »
Well I was so excited I went to see how they fit, I would say just about perfect.

(should out to city of edmonton for the new surface rust on the frame, for sure Krown or something before next winter)

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2019, 07:58:45 am »
My grandma Krowned her Beretta every winter since it was new. She just got rid of it for a Kia. 30 years of winter driving without rusting through. In Ontario.

If you're not planning to be underneath working on it, it sounds like a great deal.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2019, 01:43:43 pm »
My grandma Krowned her Beretta every winter since it was new. She just got rid of it for a Kia. 30 years of winter driving without rusting through. In Ontario.

If you're not planning to be underneath working on it, it sounds like a great deal.

After installing the springies I hope to only be under there for changing fluids and such.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2019, 12:58:58 pm »
Picked up a rear LSD, 75 USD.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2019, 12:47:40 pm »

Check this out, pretty rad. Autotranslate to engrish

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2019, 01:11:59 pm »
OME hardware is 11/10 recommended product. Before I even think about buying a vehicle ive found, I do a quick check to see if OME makes a kit.

You might have already answered this but are you worried at all about finding repair parts for your motor?

What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2019, 01:36:47 am »
OME hardware is 11/10 recommended product. Before I even think about buying a vehicle ive found, I do a quick check to see if OME makes a kit.

You might have already answered this but are you worried at all about finding repair parts for your motor?

Cross that bridge when it comes, I guess it depends on which “repair items”. Maintence items have been readily available, like timing belt kit, pulleys, idlers etc. If I wanted to just spend coin so far I have been able to find everything on partsouq or amayama that I have needed and luckily you can always get part numbers on there and bug your parts friend to figure out what crosses over, then cross your fingers that it works lol.

3.8 mivec is a dirt cheap swap and straight forward, worst case Ontario. Edit: or find another direct replacement

There are lots of high mileage 6g74’s running around out there, even GDI’s. It’s been a real eye opener owning this thing, they’re super popular everywhere in the world subtract North America. They have their own following in the US but it’s nothong like Jeep or Toyota.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2019, 11:15:58 am »

Will they fit?! 5 33's, 5 16x8 still in boxes, new rear springs, spring compressors, tool kit, tool pouch, a bunch of other random tools, all my stuff for a couple weeks of living.

Yes, of course. Room to spare in the passenger seat. IMAGINE a roof rack.

Yes, I nerded out a little about that.

Truck as it rolled into the shop:

Seeing as I needed to replace these little plastic bushes on the torsion bars, I re-indexed them while I had that torsion key off.

I then replaced the rear springs

These are just Medium Duty OME springs, they're a little thicker so should improve the payload a bit, but still ride nice. After installation and settling, they provided about 3/4" of lift.

You can't really tell, but here, after re-indexing the torsion bars, driving and settling, adjusting, driving, settling, adjusting, I finally ended up with about 1/2" lift in the front over what I had originally, and perfect, I mean perfect, height side to side. If you look at the silver lines you can tell, but it is difficult.

Following that, I was deeply offended at the extra amounts of surface rust that showed up over this last winter in Edmonton [read: calcium brine]. So, I might have gone a little overboard with the frame. (Yes, on my DD / hunting truck]. This basically started when swapping over the springs and deciding I might as well paint the spring perches while they're out.

Steps: 1.) Wash the frame big time. Wash everything, I ran water through each hole in the frame until it came out perfectly clear through the drain holes. I even scrubbed with brush.
2.) Hit entire frame with angle grinder + wire wheel to remove any flakey bits of paint or anything. Use wire brush for hard to reach places.
3.) POR15 cleaner / degreaser. Self explanatory, I also worked it in with a sponge and rinsed it off big time.
4.) POR15 Metal Prep. They explain this as a rust neutralizer / etching compound. What you do is spray it on the bits to be painted and keep it wet for a duration of time, keep it MOIST, then rinse it off and let it dry. This leaves the surface with better adhesion and a zinc phosphate coating to improve bonding.
5.) dry, big time dry everything. They say POR15 actually hardens when introduced to water, but I went over the whole thing with an air compressor and gave it heaps of time to sit.
6.) two light coats of por15 classic. Satisfying, but each coat was taking me approximately 2.5 hours to brush on.
7.) two light coats of top coat (chassis black).

In all, this took a couple days, I even woke up one day at 7 AM to do the second coat of POR15, after finishing the first coat at 2AM. The first coat was ready to paint (when dry to touch) after 5 hours. The second coat was ready after 6 hours, same as the third coat. In total, between prepping and painting this was probably 20 hours of work excluding all the drying time.

Following the second coat of POR15 (glossy)

(side note, you can see here the 1" body lift from factory for the auto trans units)

Finished product

To finish it off I am either going to go to a Krown dealer and have them spray inside the frame rails really well right away before any mud or dirt gets in there, then probably krown the whole bottom before winter.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2019, 11:42:29 am »
Then I removed the steps and factory flaps (pics later)

Well, after that make work job... I noticed now my paint wasn't up to snuff.

The white.... man. uckfay the white. So, I started with hand wash bucket style. Then went to a full degreaser my friend had that removes old wax. At that point it was time to clay bar.. I couldn't find iron x, or fallout or magma. Nothing.

To clay bar the silver, no problem. Normal amounts. To clay bar the white took longer than all the silver on the vehicle, which is like 80% of the surface area.

Anyways, following clay bar was meguiars ultimate compound, then meguiars ultimate polish, then I waxed it. A ton of work.. probably in total took 16+ hours. But, it turned out nice.
Test spot on the roof

Before:

After:

Pictures throughout various stages

Then I finally got the tires mounted to the truck:

Spare tire fits.

Three stages of Pajero ownership

Then it went for clear protectant on the rocker panel, bottom of doors, and inside wheel wells:

Next up, flaps: (these are 19$ a piece at gregs)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2019, 12:18:26 pm »
I would 100% own any vehicle you have owned.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2019, 12:34:09 pm »
This thing is so badass