Author Topic: Financial Stock Investing Thread -- Previously: Teach me on Beginner...  (Read 14419 times)

Online kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
  • Ride: 2016 CWP WRX
Re: Financial Stock Investing Thread -- Previously: Teach me on Beginner...
« Reply #200 on: April 10, 2018, 09:29:01 AM »
It's just going to be all hype leading up to legalization - which we know is happening. In the next few months I think it'll just continue going up and down. Each time there's any "news" on anything related to weed here in Canada there has been jumps in price. So I really think it still has potential to go up before summer. It's going to be very hyped. People are saying weed will be more commonly used than cigarettes and alcohol combined. If you look @ the USA I was reading some articles and the numbers the companies were making on weed in legalized states is huge. (Link: http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/31/news/marijuana-state-of-the-union/index.html)

But it will maybe tumble down after that, once all the hype calms and everyone realizes it may end up being like it already is, just without the fear of prosecution. They still need to figure out the rule with GDL licenses (because weed can stay in your blood for 5+ months, and right now the plan is blood testing for presence of weed. Soooo TLDR any GDL driver basically cannot smoke any weed. But I think they'll figure this out by then.)  (Link: http://chatnewstoday.ca/article/551863/new-laws-targeting-impaired-driving-alberta-come-effect-april-9)

Follow the weed stocks reddit for daily discussion threads. Still money to be made, even if it's only a little, it's better putting the money into something like this than wasted it out at the bar / club drinking on the weekends!! (all IMO, take it all as you will hahaha, I'm NO expert, have no clue what I'm even doing myself tbh).

Recent article April 5, RE: Aurora:  http://business.financialpost.com/cannabis/marijuana-millionaires-riding-canadas-legalization-wave
Love the word "wave".   hype hype hype hype hype ;D ;D

My one friend swears by bitcoin. He has a few "coins" since the beginning and he's been stoked about it for a while now. I haven't been looking at bitcoin at all though. Too afraid of putting money into the "app" to buy it from whatever source you buy from..

Offline coop3422

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 350ZR, 2008 Infiniti EX35
« Reply #201 on: April 10, 2018, 09:50:40 AM »
I got out and cut my loss.

I saw it as a 2yr investment when I bought it. Hoping to at least get my money back once legalization happens. Not sure I'll see that day though.

Offline coop3422

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #202 on: April 10, 2018, 09:53:07 AM »
It's just going to be all hype leading up to legalization - which we know is happening. In the next few months I think it'll just continue going up and down. Each time there's any "news" on anything related to weed here in Canada there has been jumps in price. So I really think it still has potential to go up before summer. It's going to be very hyped. People are saying weed will be more commonly used than cigarettes and alcohol combined. If you look @ the USA I was reading some articles and the numbers the companies were making on weed in legalized states is huge. (Link: http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/31/news/marijuana-state-of-the-union/index.html)

But it will maybe tumble down after that, once all the hype calms and everyone realizes it may end up being like it already is, just without the fear of prosecution. They still need to figure out the rule with GDL licenses (because weed can stay in your blood for 5+ months, and right now the plan is blood testing for presence of weed. Soooo TLDR any GDL driver basically cannot smoke any weed. But I think they'll figure this out by then.)  (Link: http://chatnewstoday.ca/article/551863/new-laws-targeting-impaired-driving-alberta-come-effect-april-9)

Follow the weed stocks reddit for daily discussion threads. Still money to be made, even if it's only a little, it's better putting the money into something like this than wasted it out at the bar / club drinking on the weekends!! (all IMO, take it all as you will hahaha, I'm NO expert, have no clue what I'm even doing myself tbh).

Recent article April 5, RE: Aurora:  http://business.financialpost.com/cannabis/marijuana-millionaires-riding-canadas-legalization-wave
Love the word "wave".   hype hype hype hype hype ;D ;D

My one friend swears by bitcoin. He has a few "coins" since the beginning and he's been stoked about it for a while now. I haven't been looking at bitcoin at all though. Too afraid of putting money into the "app" to buy it from whatever source you buy from..

I was in LA a couple months ago, and in San Fran last week. It seemed everywhere you go you could smell it. I'm sure here will be fairly similar. Money to be made for sure.

Online kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #203 on: April 10, 2018, 10:10:35 AM »
I picked EMC as my first stock to invest in

I'd personally just hold EMC for a while still. It's smaller / low right now, but who knows, it could change so quickly with just one news article: https://www.cantechletter.com/2018/04/emblem-corps-deal-with-shoppers-drug-mart-gets-thumbs-up-at-echelon/

Offline coop3422

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #204 on: April 10, 2018, 02:07:57 PM »
Yeah, I'm being George Costanza on this one and holding onto it. No point losing a bunch, I don't need the cash right now. I'll read that article, thanks. Honestly, I haven't done any research on em since I bought it about a year ago.

Online kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #205 on: April 10, 2018, 02:58:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm being George Costanza on this one and holding onto it. No point losing a bunch, I don't need the cash right now. I'll read that article, thanks. Honestly, I haven't done any research on em since I bought it about a year ago.

With the blink of an eye it goes from all reds to all green!

Online kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #206 on: April 10, 2018, 09:10:34 PM »
An optimistic article posted today....

Cannabis could soon become a bigger industry than soda, and it has already started putting pressure on alcohol sales.

If marijuana is made legal nationwide in the US by 2030, the legal weed industry could generate $75 billion in sales by that year, according to a new note from the investment bank Cowen.

Cowen's cannabis sector analyst, Vivien Azer, revised her previous estimate up by $25 billion. Legal marijuana sales are already around $50 billion, Azer said in the note.

Soda consumption, on the other hand, is declining. Per capita consumption fell to a 31-year low in the US in 2016, Bloomberg reports, with $76.4 billion in sales in 2017.

Legal marijuana is already starting to impact alcohol sales as well.

In states that have legalized cannabis, binge-drinking rates have fallen 9% below the national average, and 11% below states that don't allow the sale of recreational marijuana, according to the note. Adults in states with legal cannabis binge drink an average of 13% fewer times per month than those in states without legal recreational marijuana.

https://www.businessinsider.com/marijuana-bigger-than-soda-according-to-analyst-2018-4?r=US&IR=T

Offline canehdianJ

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2006 Lotus Elise 111R, 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #207 on: June 19, 2018, 12:29:34 PM »

Im in long on:

Iridium Sat

If anyone read this when I posted it they'd be up around 70% on this one right now.

This is currently my best trade

IRDM is going to 20$+ by the end of the year IMHO

Offline Vtec1

• Inarguably bearded
  • Patchy Faced
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2012
  • Ride: 13' Glk 350
« Reply #208 on: June 20, 2018, 06:45:02 PM »
Hey guys, quite late to the game but I finally have the time and money to start stock trading!

What are some companies you guys reccomend me to start looking at for short time (~1year) investments?

Looking to put in 10-15k in a couple if companies. Right now looking into APH and CGC before its TOO TOO late for a short sell..  :-\
Money In the Bank, Pimpin' Ain't Easy.

Offline Vtec1

• Inarguably bearded
  • Patchy Faced
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2012
  • Ride: 13' Glk 350
« Reply #209 on: August 24, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »
The very next day of my last post, I impulsively bought 11k worth into APH/WEED.
From that day I slowly watched my TFSA bleed 4k. It was just straight up savage depressing.
I did some successful swingtrades/bets and made a little back but no where near to even break even.

Had so many times I was urge to stop loss, but just rode it through.
Today I thank constellation brands and Diageo, im up almost 2k net profit in 2 months.

The most important lesson I learned through this ride was:  NO FUD NO FOMO  ;)
Money In the Bank, Pimpin' Ain't Easy.