Author Topic: Cigarette Lighter delete > Power Inverter Install  (Read 1001 times)

Offline september0451

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Forester S Sierra Gold
Cigarette Lighter delete > Power Inverter Install
« on: September 03, 2018, 12:05:33 am »
I'm starting with small stuff to do to my SF Forester before I start on the driveability and power mods.
I've already added an Android head unit with a GPS sensor and a backup camera, which all look surprisingly stock considering Android didn't exist in 2001.

I have a cheap little $40 power inverter I got at walmart that would be perfect for charging a laptop on a long road trip.  It has a single 110V power outlet and plugs into the 12V outlet.

I figure I can take out the little cubby hole to the right of the 12v outlet (it just pops out), and cut out the entire bottom portion, including the plug.  I can 3D Print a nice face plate to attach the outlet of the inverter and it's power button, and wire the power directly to its plug, hidden inside the dash.  I got an extra centre trim piece from the wrecker that matches my car, so I have a spare to screw with without hurting my console.  I think it would be a nice little mod.  With a bit of trial and error and not much 3D filament it could look factory. I even have some carbon fiber / PLA blend filament that is ridiculously strong. 

Motivation is that the head unit provides 2 USB ports for charging, so a plug adapter isn't useful, and that little inverter is messy if you want to use it because of the cabling and a lack of secure spots to put it.    Also because I just want to be clever and mod something.

Any thoughts?

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
Re: Cigarette Lighter delete > Power Inverter Install
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 12:25:14 am »
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 01:01:05 am »
Just send it.

Just send it x2

I ended up modding my console so I could get USB out the front. Such. A. Saver.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline september0451

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Forester S Sierra Gold
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 10:15:37 am »
Cool.   Pics?

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B