Author Topic: Timing Belt Change  (Read 1395 times)

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
Timing Belt Change
« on: October 23, 2018, 05:18:57 pm »
I'm getting closer to the timing belt change on my 2011 STI. Looking for advice or help from anyone that has done this already. Is it worth pulling the engine to do? Also do the clutch? Killer B?

I've got a small oil leak somewhere on the passenger side so I'm leaning towards pulling the engine and figuring out where it's coming from.

What's the best place to get parts from? I've read that the OEM belt is the best option, what about the other components?

Thanks
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
Re: Timing Belt Change
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 06:09:30 pm »
If you are Randy to do some maintance I would pull the engine.

Changed the clutch
Oil pick up
Timing belt
Spark plugs
pcv valve
Clean your MAF and Iacv
Check/replace any dry or cracked hoses

I was advised that the gates black belt if perfectly fine. The idler in the gates kit are Chinese but they haven't given me any issues. The only part I would replace in the kit with OEM is the idler pulley (if you want to get picky). Skip replacing the water pump.  I'll probably get hated on for saying it , but the OEM pump is the most reliable part on the car

Or cheap out and do the timing belt in the car and save hours of time and a ton of money

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 11:36:24 pm »
For just a timing belt, it's not even close to worth pulling the engine. I've always removed the rad for more room to play - it's time for a coolant change anyways.

If the clutch isn't giving you troubles - save it for later.

Small passenger side oil leak is probably the turbo oil drain hose, or valve cover gaskets.

I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 10:47:50 am »
Like rtp, I've just removed the rad to do the timing belt. Lots of room to work with.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 11:13:54 am »
Borrow or buy a cam locking tool if you are doing it solo. You don't need one but it is very helpful. I wish I had one when I did my belt with the engine outside of the vehicle

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 06:42:51 am »
Small passenger side oil leak is probably the turbo oil drain hose, or valve cover gaskets.

Do you know how easy is it to diagnose/fix either of those with the engine installed?
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 07:03:29 am »
Do you know how easy is it to diagnose/fix either of those with the engine installed?

Diagnosis is like any other leak. Clean it up real good, look where the fresh stuff comes from.

Both are tight spaces and finicky.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 11:25:50 am »
So I'm getting ready to start the timing belt change this weekend and I noticed on the service schedule it also calls for a valve lash inspection. I looked up the procedure in the FSM and step 1 is disconnect battery, step 2 is remove the engine ::). I was hoping to not have to pull the engine. Has anyone done this with the engine in the car? What about the work needed to make adjustments if needed (remove cams to install different shims)?

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 03:33:38 pm »
To check lashing it would be a pain in the assay and not sure it can be done while motor is still mounted.

To adjust yes you need to measure the gap, then pull the cams out and measure the bucket, then order a new one. You might be able to get away with swapping some around also. Usually they get too tight.