Author Topic: Stiffer seat belt plugs?  (Read 915 times)

Offline september0451

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Forester S Sierra Gold
Stiffer seat belt plugs?
« on: November 01, 2018, 01:04:40 pm »
Most cars I've owned, the seatbelt plugs in the back seats are secured in place either by a plastic tube holding the plug in place or just bolted in directly flush with the back seats.

I have 3 kids that I have to fit in the back of my SF5, 2 with booster seats and one in the middle with a car seat facing forward.  It's a little cramped.  My 2 oldest boys can put their own seatbelts on, but not with how cramped it is in between their boosters and the car seat in the middle.

I know they would be able to do it on their own if they could do it one handed with a stationary-ish seatbelt plug in the back.

Does anybody know of a good aftermarket product that could help with this?  What would it even be called?

TIA

Online diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
Re: Stiffer seat belt plugs?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 01:15:16 pm »
Aftermarket receptacle for the seat belt? As far as I'm aware there isn't something like that...I wouldn't even consider installing in a replacement from factory.

Rather, would a seat belt extender + DIY fashioned tube sort of solve the issue I'm imagining? So they can reach them more easily?

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline september0451

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Forester S Sierra Gold
Re: Stiffer seat belt plugs?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 02:22:50 pm »
I certainly don't want to replace the factory stuff with anything. I'm not an engineer and couldn't guarantee it would be safe.  I'm thinking like... a sleeve that can go over the canvas of the belt down at the seat where it attaches. just something that bolts over top and secures to the seat underneath so that the plug is always facing up and doesnt' flop over.

I suppose this might be something 3D printing might be able to solve. Maybe.