Author Topic: 2018/2019 Ski and Snowboard thread.  (Read 3454 times)

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
Re: 2018/2019 Ski and Snowboard thread.
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2019, 09:12:50 am »
Question for all you all mountain riders out there (little bit of park, groomers, powder etc.)

I have been riding mainly park for the past 10 years on a reverse camber 151cm board and I love it but I am leaning towards riding less park and more all mountain freestyle type riding. Since I've been riding a short 151cm board for so long I am a little nervous about going up to a 156cm or something around there. For those that have made the switch from short park boards to slightly longer all mountain boards how was the transition?

I would hate to order a new deck in a longer size and end up hating it.

I will definitely still be doing a park lap or two during the day but I prefer just carving around and having fun on little side hits these days. I think jumping up to a regular camber 156 is the right move I just need some reassurance haha.

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon JBP [1st Subaru]
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2019, 11:44:17 am »
Question for all you all mountain riders out there (little bit of park, groomers, powder etc.)

I have been riding mainly park for the past 10 years on a reverse camber 151cm board and I love it but I am leaning towards riding less park and more all mountain freestyle type riding. Since I've been riding a short 151cm board for so long I am a little nervous about going up to a 156cm or something around there. For those that have made the switch from short park boards to slightly longer all mountain boards how was the transition?

I will definitely still be doing a park lap or two during the day but I prefer just carving around and having fun on little side hits these days. I think jumping up to a regular camber 156 is the right move I just need some reassurance haha.

151 to 156cm won't be much of a noticeable change to be too worried about.

I've always been more of an all-mountain rider so I never stuck with a shorter board. I'm 6'6, and back when I was done growing I jumped from a 156 to a 164cm and it was very noticeable initially when carving especially if ever getting stuck on existing tighter tracks in the tree's. My last board is a 172cm wide model (big feet catching toe edge) which was another big jump that caused the same need to get used to carving with the extra length and it's not the greatest park board by any means. I went this route with the length not only because of my height, but because I was riding deeper back country in my time out in BC. Once used to it I actually prefer the length, and I'm getting too old for the park anyway.
| 04 WRX [STi'd] Sport Wagon JBP | V7 EJ207 | V8 6-Speed/R180 | SOLD 02 WRX Sport Wagon PSM | Rebuilt EJ205 | 4EAT | SOLD 04 Forester XT PSM | 5-Speed | 07 Forester XT Limited OBP | Built EJ257 | 4EAT | SOLD 03 Subaru Forester XS Premium AW | No Engine | 11 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited CBS | EZ36 | 5EAT | 99 GMC Sierra Classic SLE Z71 SGM | 6.0L LQ4/4L65E Swap | 05 Chevrolet Silverado SS AWD SBM | 6.0L LQ9 | 4L65E |

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2019, 03:16:46 pm »

I ran a camber 157 for a couple years. I rode all park back home because that was all we really had, so I bought a v rocker/reverse camber 154 about ten years ago before moving out west. I love the thing but lately have also been thinking about going back to a camber 157-9 because mine is pretty twitchy at speed. Haven't been out much the past few years so haven't made the investment though. I do a lot of tree riding, so don't want to go to long.

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2019, 03:22:48 pm »
I went from a reg camber 157 to a "rock out camber" 154 thinking I would do more park and side hits. Not sure if it's the switch in camber or length but I didn't like the change. I still don't really ride park and I didn't notice much of a difference for side hits but I noticed a drop in performance when in powder and bombing groomers.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2019, 03:52:03 pm »
Is rock out camber the same as reverse? If so, I actually found it much better in powder as it wanted to float, or "surf"more. Not as stable on groomers though that's for sure.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2019, 03:56:12 pm »
I know 100% that I want a regular camber board or at minimum a hybrid camber (camber between the bindings then flat to rocker right after the binding). The thing I am unsure about is how much I want to jump up in size.

Ideally, I would just jump to a 154 but the reason I am considering a 156 is the board I want from last year is on sale for 40% off but they only have it in a 156.

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2019, 03:59:13 pm »

"The Salomon Rock Out Camber profile is Flat between your bindings for stability, uses Camber near the feet for response, and Rocker on the tip and tail for pressability. This is a really fun and easy to ride profile, great for freestyle!"

Might have been the decrease in length that I didn't like (tough to tell since I switched both at the same time) as I should be riding a 157 according to the salespeople based on my weight - had multiple salespeople from different stores tell me it should be based on weight and not height - I didn't listen. Could also just be that it's not a great board for my riding style.

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2019, 04:26:21 pm »
I ride a GNU Space case. Hands down one of the most well rounded board for groomers, park, side hits, back country. Super stable from the hybrid camber/Assymetrical design. Also has magna traction for those icy days. I went from a 151 park board to a 153 space case and it's pretty much perfect for what you describe.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2019, 08:03:58 pm »
I ride a GNU Space case. Hands down one of the most well rounded board for groomers, park, side hits, back country. Super stable from the hybrid camber/Assymetrical design. Also has magna traction for those icy days. I went from a 151 park board to a 153 space case and it's pretty much perfect for what you describe.

I have a few buddies who swear by GNU. I'd give one a try, but I'd like to stick with something that has an Infinite Channel so I can use my Burton Cartel bindings.

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2019, 07:13:05 am »
The winter before I left Alberta I picked up a Jones Flagship in either 168 or 172 length (cant remember, but I'm 6'2" ~230lbs) and the few times that I was able to ride it out west, it was amazing. The board i so nimbly-bimbly and very forgiving. It saved my assay a few times. It has mellow magnetraction and a rocker/camber/rocker profile with what they call 3-D contouring on the base. The board has been pretty awesome and I can't wait to take it out again.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2019, 03:37:39 pm »
After doing a little more research I think I have decided to go with the Salomon First Call. Looks like a good all around deck with hybrid camber. Plus, I found it in the size I want in Canada for 40% off.

https://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/reviews/snowboards/salomon-first-call-2018-2019.html#tjJIuJpui79EXB1i.97

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2019, 09:55:51 am »
Finally received my new deck. The Capita will now be my jib/park board and the Salomon will be my all mountain ripper. Both are 151's.

Only thing I don't like about the Salomon is I ride a very skinny stance and I can't get my bindings close enough so I will have to ditch the Burton bindings and pick up something else so I can get that little bit of extra adjustment.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2019, 10:43:45 am »
dat swallow tail

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline the_saint

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2004 STi
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2019, 04:53:02 pm »
Just ordered season pass for 2019/2020 @ Sunshine :)  Cannot wait for snow.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2019, 10:43:50 am »
Anyone plan on heading out to Sunshine for opening on November 8th?

I know openings are almost always terrible for riding conditions but I still enjoy getting out of the city and riding for the first time.

We have about 8 or 9 people heading there and staying at the Canalta Lodge, looking forward to it! Plan on driving out super early Friday, riding Friday and Saturday and then spending Sunday hiking and what not since it's a long weekend.