Author Topic: Forester CVT Transmission Leak  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Saul

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2014 Forester 2.0XT Touring
Forester CVT Transmission Leak
« on: August 21, 2018, 11:03:00 am »
Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've posted.

I decided to start taking my 14' XT to Vex for scheduled maintenance.  I'm really glad I did.  I got a call this morning saying they spotted a leak from the transmission.  The recommended fix is to reapply sealant around the transmission pan.  Vex could do this for me, however I decided to get it into Centaur for diagnosis and repair, scheduled for next Thursday.  Really really happy with Vex for bringing it to my attention.  Had I brought this in to Subaru, they probably wouldn't even had looked at it since they don't recommend changing the transmission oil until 100k. 

I'm currently just under 60k, and my warranty on major components is up next April (5 years).

I did a little research, and it sounds like this might be a known issue with the 14' + XT's.  Some leading to full CVT replacements.
https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/anyone-have-transmission-leak-727577/

Anyone else here have any problems with their transmissions on these?

Suggestions on how I should deal with this at Subaru?  Obviously my concern here is that if they just go and do a simple re-seal on the pan, then it becomes a major issue after April next year after my warranty expires, I don't want to be on the hook for a major repair bill.

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
Re: Forester CVT Transmission Leak
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 02:00:47 pm »
How should you deal with this? Simple, take it to the dealer, tell them your transmission is leaking and you suspect it’s the pan and let them take care of it from there. If it’s just the pan, all it will need is a reseal and you’ll be on your way, no reason to worry it’ll become anything major.

Offline Saul

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 03:09:10 pm »
I've done more research and it turns out Subaru had automatically extended warranty for a number of vehicles with CVT transmissions. 

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f84/just-received-my-cvt-extended-warranty-letter-subaru-canada-736474/

I did not receive the letter in the mail notifying me of this, but I was able to do a VIN check at the following link to confirm my vehicle is covered.

https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebSiteID=282&WebPageID=21809

So hell yeah!  I've got another 5 years warranty coverage on it, so no need to worry for now.  Or hopefully it becomes catastrophic soon so I get a new CVT :D

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 03:43:35 pm »
Can confirm, my ladies 2017 FXT leaks at 25xxx. Going to get it looked at next oil change.

The only other issue we have had was when I forgot to pull the parking brake and found it rolled to the bottom of our drive way.

Offline Saul

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 03:56:35 pm »
Can confirm, my ladies 2017 FXT leaks at 25xxx. Going to get it looked at next oil change.

The only other issue we have had was when I forgot to pull the parking brake and found it rolled to the bottom of our drive way.

Well itshay, same problem on a 17'.  I was under the impression they fixed the issue beyond 2015..  The CVT Warranty Enhancement Program states its for model years from 2010-2015.  I'd complain about that, and push for extended warranty to be added to your vehicle!

Offline Saul

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 11:59:17 am »
Little update for future reference if anyone is searching this issue.

The CVT warranty enhancement program was extended up to 2018 vehicles.

https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebSiteID=282&WebPageID=21809

My 2014 XT was written off.  My new 2018 XT has the CVT extended warranty.

Offline colek

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 Impreza Wrx Sedan, 2008 Impreza 2.5i, 2018 Forester Xt limited
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 08:56:18 pm »
Just got the wife an 2018 xt as well I see its covered to.