Author Topic: Winter/Ice Lake Racing in Alberta?  (Read 844 times)

Offline TenTurbo

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRX Sedan - Pearl White
Winter/Ice Lake Racing in Alberta?
« on: January 01, 2019, 12:51:55 PM »
Hi fello WSC members! I’m fairly new here. My wife and I were wondering if there is anywhere in Alberta where we could do some ice racing? There must be some lake out there where folks can head out and practice their drifting skills. Doesn’t need to be official or anything, just something to have fun at and blow off some steam. Please let me know if you have heard of a place/event like this. Thanks!

Peter
His - 2011 WRX sedan
Hers - 2010 WRX wagon

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
Re: Winter/Ice Lake Racing in Alberta?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 03:23:48 PM »
Gravel/snow:

http://www.edmontonrallyclub.ca/new/

Ice:

http://nascc.ab.ca/racing/ice-racing/

(their race school is good for seat time & instruction, you don't _have_ to continue on to door to door racing, and don't have to have a caged car to the take the school.

Offline snakeman

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: The Matrix
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 03:47:46 PM »
How old is that ice racing writeup? A spec Chevette/Acadian class? Are they racing rust molecules?
It also says no one has ran in the AWD class for years haha

Offline A.J.

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2011 SWP STI Hatch
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 03:58:23 PM »
How old is that ice racing writeup? A spec Chevette/Acadian class? Are they racing rust molecules?
It also says no one has ran in the AWD class for years haha

Yes they still run the Chevette class, it is some of the most exciting ice racing that you can watch. They do a standing start in reverse grid order based off of the last race, so the fast guys always have to work the field to the front. I think no-one runs awd because the cars are too expensive. Ice racing really beats up on cars so until price comes down most guys won't consider an awd platform.

The Edmonton Rally Club sometimes uses the NASCC ice race track for ice rallycross so keep an eye on them for events as well.

If you want to get close to the action, consider volunteering as a corner marshal with the NASCC. You'll learn about the flags and get a track-side vantage point to watch the action.
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline snakeman

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: The Matrix
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 04:11:10 PM »
Yes they still run the Chevette class, it is some of the most exciting ice racing that you can watch. They do a standing start in reverse grid order based off of the last race, so the fast guys always have to work the field to the front. I think no-one runs awd because the cars are too expensive. Ice racing really beats up on cars so until price comes down most guys won't consider an awd platform.

The Edmonton Rally Club sometimes uses the NASCC ice race track for ice rallycross so keep an eye on them for events as well.

If you want to get close to the action, consider volunteering as a corner marshal with the NASCC. You'll learn about the flags and get a track-side vantage point to watch the action.

Ah thank for the info. I thought it was more like Ice Dice and individual timed runs, and it was mostly Subarus there so that’s why I thought no AWD cars for years sounded weird. And honestly I haven’t even seen a Chevette for years lol.

Offline seat safety switch

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: 05 Saab 9-2X Linear
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 04:23:39 PM »
Ah thank for the info. I thought it was more like Ice Dice and individual timed runs, and it was mostly Subarus there so that’s why I thought no AWD cars for years sounded weird. And honestly I haven’t even seen a Chevette for years lol.
I can tell you with all confidence that's where they all went.

Offline A.J.

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2011 SWP STI Hatch
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 04:28:23 PM »

That would most likely be the ERC doing an ice dice.

I can tell you with all confidence that's where they all went.

Those guys are savage at scooping up decent chevettes.  ;D
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline TenTurbo

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRX Sedan - Pearl White
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 05:16:46 PM »
Thanks for the info and links Grant. I’ll look into this. I’d been NASCC site before and it also confused me when talking about Chevette class and no AWD vehicles for a while. I had found that strange.
His - 2011 WRX sedan
Hers - 2010 WRX wagon

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.

Online SlowLGT

• beards comin in nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 02:31:45 PM »
WCMA lapping day #2 is tomorrow! We need more pre-sign ups to proceed with the event. The event runs 11am to 4pm. You get FIVE 30 minute sessions for $50!

Also, looking at the event entry list, we got an Audi R8 and a Lamborghini Huracan (yes, the one that made the news). Come sign up!

https://www.facebook.com/events/375840836297837/