Author Topic: H6 swap into 2011 Impreza 2.5i??  (Read 1847 times)

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRB Impreza Ltd wagon
H6 swap into 2011 Impreza 2.5i??
« on: January 15, 2019, 01:22:29 pm »
Has anyone come across information about swapping H6 engine into a 2011 (or similar) Impreza? I've always loved the idea of keeping the car looking stock and remaining N/A, but a decent search hasn't turned up much for results. I've seen some info about older swaps, but nothing for the newer generations. No crazy HP aspirations or monster build ideas here, just looking for a swap that gives a lot of extra jam to an otherwise solid car.

Also, thanks in advance for the "just buy a WRX/STi/Outback" comments. I hear you loud and clear.
'06 2.5i Wagon: 60KM->sold
'01 Forester S: 217KM->sold
'10 2.5i Wagon: gone...
'07 WRX Wagon: 167,xxx really fun kms!
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Subaru WRX STi Tommy Kaira M20b; 2019 Ascent Touring
Re: H6 swap into 2011 Impreza 2.5i??
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 02:54:44 pm »
Has anyone come across information about swapping H6 engine into a 2011 (or similar) Impreza?

I thought about this, after I did some quick research it doesn't seem like a great idea. There is a lot more to it then just a straight drop in that's for sure.
If you want to stay NA I have seen a few done that do not have a subaru block. Other then that maybe go for an EJ205?!?!?!

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 02:59:13 pm »
It is a curious thing as to why H6 swaps haven't been attempted in later Imprezas. 

Maybe there's more appeal to the older bodies because it fit better?  Lighter weight?  More sleeper?  I've always liked the idea of a poor man's Porsche, but it's still a lot of work and money. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 03:38:49 pm »
I put it out to the guys at Vex to see what they think. The engines aren't too pricey, and the power increase would be significant. I'd like to think that it would be reliable, if I didn't do the swap that is... I'd also like to avoid using premium fuel.

Perrin messed around with swapping the EZ30 into a STi, but they went way farther with that build than I would, so I didn't get a lot of great info from their project.

It just seems like a really great combination, since I don't think there's much room to squeeze any extra power out of my current engine.
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 03:40:32 pm »
I'd also like to avoid using premium fuel.

lol.
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 04:08:24 pm »
Perrin messed around with swapping the EZ30 into a STi,

That was over 10 years ago, and then they sold it. 

Not to be a killjoy.  If you're going to do it, that'll be awesome and I'll follow intently as I love these swaps, and you'd be pioneering it into a later gen.  I just think it'll hurt the wallet; you might not even be able to afford 87 octane. 

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Subaru WRX STi Tommy Kaira M20b; 2019 Ascent Touring
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 04:16:25 pm »
The engines aren't too pricey, and the power increase would be significant. I'd like to think that it would be reliable, if I didn't do the swap that is... I'd also like to avoid using premium fuel.

It just seems like a really great combination, since I don't think there's much room to squeeze any extra power out of my current engine.

If you are just doing a straight swap it would be okay, I think the '10 - '11 models are fairly straightforward (Sure Vex would know). Most people do it for big Hp gains. From what I have seen EJ205s seem to be a little easier for bigger Hp gains for the price, but if you are set on keeping NA give it a shot.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 06:31:15 pm »
Unpopular opinion time: I think it is better and possibly cheaper to swap yourself into a 6 speed Volvo V70R.

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 07:31:58 pm »
If your engine is uckfayed in your Impreza this could be worth it.

I would contact AFR Autoworks in Red Deer. They recently built a Ez30R Impreza for a client. Looked like an insane amount of wiring and fabrication to get it to work properly

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 07:41:10 pm »
Would it be cheaper, with similar if not larger power gains, to put a turbo motor in? I know you want NA, but it seems like you'd be better off going to a different platform for NA, like Honda.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 09:09:44 pm »
I would contact AFR Autoworks in Red Deer. They recently built a Ez30R Impreza for a client. Looked like an insane amount of wiring and fabrication to get it to work properly

That was pretty cool, until I realized it was a JDM bugeye.  Then I was like, RIP, what a waste of effort. 

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 05:13:28 am »
That was pretty cool, until I realized it was a JDM bugeye.  Then I was like, RIP, what a waste of effort.

Pretty sure the old engine was cooked IIRC. Being a shop, and also having connections with mike I bet they paid almost nothing for the car and engine

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 09:20:26 am »
If you want to throw the money at it, cool! Personally, I think it would be more hassle and money than it's worth and I would either go turbo or move to a different platform.

Also, not wanting to run premium seems silly to me considering how much this swap would likely cost.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 01:01:59 pm »
If you don't mind putting in the work and you want a fun NA AWD long roof car, B7 S4/RS4 Avant is great. Probably less work and complications to replace timing chain guides in that than H4 to H6 swap.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 02:12:19 pm »
Pretty sure the old engine was cooked IIRC. Being a shop, and also having connections with mike I bet they paid almost nothing for the car and engine

That makes sense.  Aight, I stand corrected.

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '10 FXT & the (late) Thugeye
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 04:02:12 pm »
That was over 10 years ago
Damn... 10y already...

I've merged a wiring harnesses for a 251->205 swap: wiring isn't that bad - just a bit nerve wracking on the first wire. A NA-NA swap shouldn't be overly different. Documentation is a bigger concern, but really - the NA connections are inconsequential to that of the turbo models. That said, if electrical isn't your forte - hang back.

Biggest consideration, in my opinion, would be the physical fitment of the whole thing. I would plan for custom plumbing for the fluids but again, nothing completely unreasonable.

Reliability on the EZ30 has been superb, our 2001 Outback has around 350k on it and enjoyed winters from , and while the body is rusting a bit, everything inside works like a hot damn. I don't think that it's comparable to the B7's which are in a class of their own - but those timing chain guides. Ya. One big bonus is plentiful and reliable access to service manuals for almost every Subaru ever manufactured! "Vorsprung durch Technik" indeed... At least I have a whole slew of new tools for doing work on the wife's A3.

WRT Fuel: Only the new 3.6's have dropped the premium fuel requirement. Our old 2001 still likes that premium juice - but Costco doesn't disappoint.

I've long been thinking of building a wagon with the EZ30, but that's not in the cards right now - different goals and priorities. Maybe in a decade as a project for my son. :D
entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 10:35:19 am »
In my mind it was just a cool thing to imagine, but I know that the money would be better spent on almost anything. I've heard that the wiring would be a bear to wrestle and since I'm not going to be able to do much, if any, of this work, the $$$ keep multiplying well past the cost of picking up an old WRX even if it needs some work. I appreciate the insight from everyone, minus the suggestion to switch to Honda... Thanks but no thanks.
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 02:43:25 pm »
In my mind it was just a cool thing to imagine, but I know that the money would be better spent on almost anything. I've heard that the wiring would be a bear to wrestle and since I'm not going to be able to do much, if any, of this work, the $$$ keep multiplying well past the cost of picking up an old WRX even if it needs some work. I appreciate the insight from everyone, minus the suggestion to switch to Honda... Thanks but no thanks.

It was a valid suggestion..you made it clear you're wanting to do an N/A build, so it would be logical to suggest switching to the manufacturer that has engineered arguably some of the best N/A engines ever.
Unless you have an overwhelming amount of disposable funds, it makes 100x more sense to stick with a turbo engine.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 05:37:40 pm »
It was a valid suggestion..you made it clear you're wanting to do an N/A build, so it would be logical to suggest switching to the manufacturer that has engineered arguably some of the best N/A engines ever.
Unless you have an overwhelming amount of disposable funds, it makes 100x more sense to stick with a turbo engine.

It's true.  And a CRV drivetrain swap would make for a very fun AWD Civic. 

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 07:37:19 pm »
If you want NA, and Japanese, you go Honda.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.